got shin splints?

Options
ashprather
ashprather Posts: 227 Member
do you get shin splints/pain? then buy a pair of compression sleeves!!! they can be kinda pricey, but they are SO worth it! during week 1 of c25k, i got horrible shin splints (but just in on leg for some odd reason). i decided to not continue on with week 2 until they went away, to avoid injuring myself further. after a week and a half, the pain was still there! i went to a local running store, and got fitted for new shoes, hoping that would help. i had also heard about compression sleeves and decided to purchase those as well. let me tell you... the pain was gone almost instantly after i put them on! i am officially obsessed. the store i bought them at had the brand 'zensah' which retailed about $40, but as i said before... they. are. worth. it.!!! and they come in fun colors, too! :D now off i go to start week 2!

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I went to a race walking clinic a couple of years ago and verified that shin splints do not lead to injury and that they go away when you warm up. They're pretty common to racewalkers because you train with a pronounced heel strike. If you get them while running, you might be placing your leg too far in front, causing a heel strike instead of landing mid-foot. However, thanks for the advice on the compression sleeves. I could have used those!
  • ashprather
    Options
    i was just jogging and they would hurt more and more as i went on, its not like i was pushing myself too hard, too far, too soon. i even tried changin up my running form, and nothing. i dont think that warming up would make them go away.
  • nevareg
    nevareg Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I just ordered some, and I'm really excited for them to come in. I've never had this amount of pain in my shins before. Like you it started with just one (now it's both) and while warm-up helped a lot of my other muscles it never really helped with my shins. Then when I would start my running portion it was almost a hobble at first until I can override the pain! I bought a shin brace at it helped but I still have those sleeves (same brand) coming and I can't wait!! I got mine for 20 on ebay!
  • ashprather
    Options
    $20?! awesome! ill have to purchase mine from there next time! i hope they work out for you! :)
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    This is all great information! I tried w1d1 yesterday. Within the first few steps, I was in instant pain on the left side. I've read that different shoes can take care of the shoe pain. I'm wondering if I should take back my new Saucony pair and get the Brooks that were also recommended for me.
  • Frankie3333
    Frankie3333 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i have had shin splints on and off since i was a runner in high school. They came back when i started working a job where i was standing around for 8 hours a day (and only in my left shin). I will have to try those compression stockings.
  • ashprather
    Options
    This is all great information! I tried w1d1 yesterday. Within the first few steps, I was in instant pain on the left side. I've read that different shoes can take care of the shoe pain. I'm wondering if I should take back my new Saucony pair and get the Brooks that were also recommended for me.
    i would get fitted at a running store, it definitely helped me! and my friend just got fitted for shoes due to knee pain, and now she is doing so much better!