Anyone else tried writing their own book?

Options
lori_en
lori_en Posts: 133 Member
I was wondering this as at the moment I have been spending a lot of time writing a story of my own.

For years I have always had ideas for stories and always had the urge to write them down, but it's only recently that I was encouraged by friends to give it a go. I've jotted down quite a bit now,and I'm really getting into it and although sometimes it's challenging, it is also really enjoyable!

The one thing I find difficult to judge though is my writing style, which I don't think is very good... my partner says it's fine, but I'm not so sure, if anything it's the one thing I feel would hold me back.

Would love to hear other people's thoughts on this, especially if you have tried to write something yourself? :)

Replies

• Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I've tried but haven't gotten very far with any of my ideas. Have you looked at any books about writing? I think Stephen King's "On Writing" is one of the best I have ever read.
  • lori_en
    lori_en Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've tried but haven't gotten very far with any of my ideas. Have you looked at any books about writing? I think Stephen King's "On Writing" is one of the best I have ever read.

I've tried looking but I never got very far as I always want to get back to writing, I might look into that one once I've finished my first draft though, thanks for the tip! :)
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I've thought of it, but never done anything about it. Contemplating getting involved in NaNoWriMo this November...
  • hya89
    hya89 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've done NanoWrimo the last couple of years and I'm planning on doing Camp Nano this coming April.
    It's a great way to train yourself into the habit of writing, even if you hate what you've written in the end you'll still know it's possible to do and easier than you think.
    Than comes editing :P
  • eys81
    eys81 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I grew up wanting to be a writer. I still have this dream that someday I will write down the stories that circulate around my brain. I know that it needs to be a habit, but like so many others I haven't put it into practice long enough to make anything come of it.

Good luck on your writing!!
  • jaimie1782
    Options
    NaNoWriMo got the best of me this year...it's so hard!
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I've been writing my whole life. I started what I would consider a "Book" a year and a half ago (it's looking like it might be more of a novella in length). I do it as a hobby and I don't force it when I'm not feeling inspired enough to write properly. But I did start a review type blog if anyone is interested: http://eriennebirt.wordpress.com/2013/02/07/enders-game/
  • jssue2
    jssue2 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I write and post short non fiction stories at FanStory. I've not written a book though.
  • mandyhuot7
    mandyhuot7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've written three so far! Two are published and one will be published by the end of the week! I use a free service (www.lulu.com) that publishes your books, and if you want them sent to major stores like amazon and B&N, it only costs $75! I love it!

I'll be happy to help anyone with editing or giving feedback on writing samples.
  • storywebber
    storywebber Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been writing a novel for nearly four years. I have tried different writing styles but have finally settled on one. Don't be in a hurry to figure out your style. It will come naturally to you when you figure out the ins and outs of it. The most important item to focus on is getting the story down - beginning to end - and studying the craft of writing.

Someone mentioned Stephen King's book on writing. It is good. I also like Goosing the Write Brain, Reading Between the Lines (i am reading that now). Over those years I have acquired a few books on 'how to write'. The best thing I have done is as I learn something new, I dissect one of my favorite books to see how that author handles the thing I just learned. You can find some of those dissections that others have done on the internet.

Warning: just don't tell you husband - like in a movie or tv show - "Oh that's foreshadowing." or "Wait - pause it, I've got to write that down" . hahaha

What is your intended audience for your story? Are you writing short stories or a novel?
    Betty
  • Laice_PS_Enoon
    Options
    For the last three years I've participated in NaNoWriMo (a 1month writing challenge of 50,000words) ... I've only succeeded in it once though but I like that story even though it still needs a lot of work!
    I think my intended audience is late teen/young adult for that one and its a novel

I also like writing short stories and poetry.

I come up with really good snippets but struggle to link things. I'm actually contemplating writing a book of snippets that can be used as starters or in english classes or something like that. Descriptions of a sunset, a single event, a feeling, a though ... that sort of thing
  • viktorijandz
    viktorijandz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Oh, I love writing so much! Writing essays was my favorite task to do at school. :) I started writing a lot when I was 15 I guess. I began with several fanfiction which slowly turned into a regular fictional story. I still have it in PDF in my home computer. Anyway, I dropped the writing due to lack of time, and inspiration, but now I'm getting back to it again. I am now working on my new fiction but I couldn't call it 'a book' so far. I am writing it in my native tongue for now but I will also do an English translation. Anyway, I've been writing a lot lately and thought it would be beneficial to get an expert's advice so I got in touch with one of Scottish writers. We are definitely meeting once she is less busy with her new book so she could go through my writing and tell the good, bad things, etc. Most importantly, I would like to know if there is any perspective in me to someday actually publish a book of my own at a commercial scale. I don't expect to live from writing in the future but publishing a book has always been my greatest dream. :)
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I've tried to take part in NaNoWriMo about three or four times. Last year was my best shot but I still ended up getting more and more behind schedule and then ran out of plot ideas and yeah...

My problem is, I rule at writing introductions and first parts. Honestly, I'm great at setting the mood and describing the scene and characters. But once it gets beyond that and the action starts and I eventually need to bring it all together, I'm at a loss. :(
  • viktorijandz
    viktorijandz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My problem is, I rule at writing introductions and first parts. Honestly, I'm great at setting the mood and describing the scene and characters. But once it gets beyond that and the action starts and I eventually need to bring it all together, I'm at a loss. :(

At least it's good to know that I'm not the only one here with similar issue. ^^ Lots of ideas and inspiration at the beginning but once I get deeper into a story, it becomes more challenging to keep writing. :/
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    I am a writer and a beta reader too! If you want me to take a look at your work let me know! I love sharing writing ideas with people. You just remember to be true to yourself and grow from what other can offer you. But I love it all - so if you need help or want a reader or anything let me know!
  • chippyKaren
    Options
    I have always wanted to write a book, but can't seem to follow through. I have read that to write a good book, start at the middle of it and backtrack. I have a good imagination but a bad case of procrastination. Good luck to you.
  • lillithfair4
    Options
    I've tried several times and completed one novella, as well as currently have one going that's broken my streak of writing before giving up. My issue is finding ways to keep the plot moving and the characters developing without going too fast or it sounding silly. Its a struggle but I think its a fun one. I've lately found that it helps if you create a playlist of songs that pertain to the story or what your main character/s are feeling/thinking/doing.
  • VaporeonSugar
    VaporeonSugar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I always love writing short stories, but I have written a few things besides that. The only things I've seen to completion are two adult fictions I wrote and actually got a ton of good reviews on. Funny enough, I don't like adult fiction books, but I'm rather good at writing them. Kinda in a rut in the money department and I'm actually thinking about finding someone to publish a few of my finished things.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I greatly admire anyone who has actually finished writing a book. It is my dream.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Discoveri wrote: »

A+ recommendation, that is a FANTASTIC BOOK and I believe every writer should read it. Any creative type really, it really gives a lot of insight into how to get your ideas from your head and give them form.