Treadmill and Step Counting

Options
I was running a bit short on my target steps today, so I jumped on the treadmill (too cold outside) and after a mile my BMF had only counted around 500 steps. I had mentally counted up to 1000 which was at about half a mile. My activity minutes and burned value matched the machine values pretty close. Anyone have an idea about why steps on a treadmill didn't register more than about 1 out of 4 steps?

Replies

• zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Did you hold on to the machine at all? Or if you wore the armband particularly low or high on your arm. That is all I can think of.

I don't generally pay attention to exactly what the BMF credits me for step counts, so I don't know its rate of capture for me. Sorry, I'm not very helpful. The good news is, it sounds like you got credit for the calories burned, even if the steps seem off.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I did steady myself on the machine a couple of times, but mostly off, swinging arms etc. A friend of mine who has a fitbit said that she's observed the same with her device and told by their customer support that it's due to the lack of forward motion. That's a good suggestion to play around with armband position though, I'll try it. I do set step goals for myself, along with activity and calorie burn goals, so I would love to find a solution.
  • trixyj
    trixyj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A lot of people suggest wearing it on your calf if the number of steps is an issue. Same happens with elliptical. The number of calories burned remains pretty accurate though so don't worry too much!
  • t_elliot
    t_elliot Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree with trying to move your armband a bit. I wear mine about halfway between my armpit and my elbow always facing in. When I set my BMF to 6000 steps It is consistently within 30 steps of what my treadmill and Nike fit on my Ipod record. How long have you had your BMF? It takes a good week to get used to your body and record accurately. Keep at it!
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Were you moving your arm or holding the rail? As long as I use my arms and don't hold on, mine registers steps just fine on treadmill (and elliptical, some people have trouble with that too)
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I was moving my arms with the occasional moment of steadying myself. Now that I've been wearing it a month or so, I'll take another stab at the treadmill. I'm getting tired of the mall.