Any advice for a newbie?

Options
KellyUVA
KellyUVA Posts: 255 Member
So, I have found the gym, got the vibrams . . .but I am terrified that I am too out of shape to do this. Any tips? Should I work out awhile on my own before joining?

Thanks

Replies

• Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Don't quit is #1, surround yourself with knowledgeable instructors is #2, don't ever quit is #3,lol. Never too out of shape to do something and most places will modify your workouts.
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Don't let "Wow, I am out of the shape" pull you down, but to encourage and motivate you to work harder.

1) Set your mindset right: CrossFit is helping you to be in shape and be wellness.
    2) Get the form and techique right! (if you don't you will hurt yourself).
    3) Scale the weight/WOD to the point it is challenging to you (not overloaded or too much or too little).
    4) Don't worry about other doing better than you. They were like you when they first came to CrossFit.
    5) Be happy and keep the "box" clean
    6) Eat right and have good sleep
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I will tell you I was super intimidated and waited longer than I should have to join because of the same thoughts you are having. I am not a small girl still and there are some skills I can do better than others, but just go and try it, you will surprise yourself. The only regret I have is not joining sooner :)

Good coaches will show you how to do things properly. If they think you are struggling or have bad form, they will help correct it and/or modify whatever you're doing until you can do it as it should be done. There is a lady at my box that started a couple weeks ago and she is doing step ups on the box instead of box jumps. She is doing lifts with two little dumbbells instead of using the weight bar when we do bar work. She is starting somewhere and will progress....she pushes even though she cannot do much right now and she knows she will get stronger.

Please don't stress about it and just do what you can. Everyone -generally- is very supportive at CrossFit, which is something I've never really experienced before in a "gym" and I'm seeing more of the same from what other people say here at their boxes.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new (only a few weeks in), obese, and until starting CrossFit haven't worked out regularly in nearly 15 years. My trainer has been AWESOME. So supportive and motivating, and there are modifications for everything! He pushes me almost as hard as I push myself. :) I wanted to do this for a long time, but was so intimidated. All I ever saw were pictures of super-fit people doing CF, and the people I knew doing CF were like that. Months and months, wasted, when I could have been working toward BEING more fit. He told me yesterday that most of his clients are just like me and my husband ... average folks wanting to get fit -- NOT the competition-level athletes.

If you have the desire to do it and have already found a box, GO FOR IT. Really, what do you have to lose? :)
  • cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Don't quit is #1, surround yourself with knowledgeable instructors is #2, don't ever quit is #3,lol. Never too out of shape to do something and most places will modify your workouts.

I agree the main thing is not to quit and to stay with it. At first you'll be last alot and you probably won't be able to do alot of the movements. You've just got to stay with it and keep grinding.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I think most of us worried about being too unfit/too out of shape/too old/ too SOMETHING - but we all started and we all love it!
    Go Hard - you have nothing to lose and EVERYTHING to gain!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Just go.