How do you use MFP for calorie counting?

Rosplosion
Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
Since I am doing raw foods I find that I need to take in many more calories than MFP indicates I "should". So each day I go "over" the calories - its kind of demoralizing in a way. I know that I am doing well because I'm avoiding so many poisons and eating live, bio-available foods with their digestive enzymes intact....but I still like to have the encouragement that one gets when the numbers match up.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Can you adjust your goal to reflect what you eat? Setting to lose half pound per week? You obviously are losing weight so perhaps your settings are off? Increasing your exercise intensity will also add daily amounts of calories.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    You just have to decide what amount of calories feels right. My MFP has me suggested at 1770 calories per day, but i tend to eat around 2300-3000. If you are only eating whole, plant foods, there is less need to calorie count, and more need to pay attention to your body's hunger drive and cravings.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    After reading a book by john robbins called "The Food Revolution" I find it unnecessary to count calories now. If you eat nothing but fruits, veggies, nuts, beans, seeds, sprouts, legumes etc... It's almost impossible to go over the limit. I worry more about overdosing on too many nutrients instead. Beets are a good example of something you can easily eat too much of.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Thanks for the replies! When I am doing everything right I want to have that mas say "...and was under her calorie goal". Stupid but it does feel good.
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    I've been vegan for three years and "as raw as possible" since last spring. I've discovered that when I'm in 100% raw mode, I don't need to count calories. Even I'm not eating raw (like the organic lentil soup for lunch) I try to focus on getting the most nutrition per calorie or dollar. When I do that, the rest falls into place. Why? Because foods high in nutrients tend to have fewer calories than their lesser counterparts. In other words, if I'm looking for a snack at 3 PM, I'll grab an apple instead of baked goods, pretzels, or something processed. Just beware that nuts, even raw nuts, are calorie dense as they're primarily fat. Having said that, I'll still opt for a package of raw nuts over cookies.
  • I know what you mean, I am always eating twice my daily carb intake... which is 184g. This, in a way makes me feel guilty about what I'm eating, even though I'm just eating fruits and veggies...
  • danikanoodles
    danikanoodles Posts: 150 Member
    There is a way to change the calorie goal amount.

I think they put me at somewhere around 1,500. As a raw foodie that's breakfast for me right there. I re-set it for around 3,500 hehe.

I've found it very important to calculate calories to make sure your getting enough calories.