MMA Fighters

Options
peuglow
peuglow Posts: 684 Member
So I know we have lots of TKD, Karate, and other far east disciplines here.

Anyone else a mixed martial artist? Do you actively fight (not in a gym setting, at sanctioned events)? What's your weight class? Background?

I'm a 1-1 amateur, coming off an 18month fighting hiatus (by circumstance, not necessarily choice). Last fight was at LHW, but I'm moving to middleweight for the remainder of my career. My most extensive training is in muay Thai and BJJ.

Replies

default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    1-0 and that's how it's staying, my wife let me do one amateur fight. besides that plenty of ibjjf, naga, kombat korner, other local bjj tournaments and before that judo, no idea on the record. Recently taking time off due to re evaluating whether i want to continue, had injuries and the last time I had my cauliflower ear drained I had to have it done in the hospital since it was really bad and I may be done, my line of work you can't really show up like that.

Fought @ 205, usually fight at anywhere from LHW-HW, trained/competed under Alliance JJ.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Not current right now, I guess I'm retired, by I would like to talk my wife into letting me fight again haha. I was 4-0 as an ammy, and 3-1 as a pro. Hopefully some day I can get back at it, I really miss it, it's been two years.
  • bigknight78
    Options
    I'm just starting out doing MMA work. So I am doing Kick Boxing & BJJ classes to bring me up to speed.

I am doing it with my son as he wanted to get into it, and wasn't confident enough to go on his own, so I got roped in. Turns out I am really enjoying it.

Will I fight in a competitive nature. I dont know. But I am never going to say never. I know the competitive nature in me might push me into something if I get to a decent level of technique
  • aloubere
    Options
    I am doing my first fight November 17. I compete in brazilian Jiu jitsu tournaments as well as training striking. I am pumped to get in the cage and test my hands out!
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Love MMA, train MMA but will not fight MMA. I needed to get in this thread anyway....just because.
  • peuglow
    Options
    Love MMA, train MMA but will not fight MMA. I needed to get in this thread anyway....just because.
    any reason?
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    any reason?

reason I won't really fight or that i wanted to get in the thread? I'm going to assume you mean why won't i fight. I can't afford to get hurt. I'm even hesitant to roll with rambunctious guys for that reason. I love learning. It's great for helping me stay fit and as a fan it's nice having a good understand of what's going on.
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    train bjj and have a 4-10 competition record, no plans to do MMA due to medical reasons.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I might train MMA just because I want to compete, and women's MMA has weaker competition than womens boxing. I went to some match where both women had like 3 fights, it was for a champion title, and the fight lasted about 40 seconds. That being said, I hate training BJJ becuase I roll with guys that are 160+ and I always get hurt no matter how careful they are. I keep saying never again every time.
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    learn to love to roll with people better, faster, bigger and stronger then you
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I really don't know much about BJJ. Is is safe for a beginner to roll with someone 30+ lbs bigger? I box with people bigger (and smaller) than me all the time, but that just seems more controlled becuase you can easily punch lightly, but it seems like you can't neccessarily adjust as much rolling becuase you use your whole body. Are there techniques to learn to protect yourself and your partner from injury?
  • peuglow
    Options
    I really don't know much about BJJ. Is is safe for a beginner to roll with someone 30+ lbs bigger? I box with people bigger (and smaller) than me all the time, but that just seems more controlled becuase you can easily punch lightly, but it seems like you can't neccessarily adjust as much rolling becuase you use your whole body. Are there techniques to learn to protect yourself and your partner from injury?
    Rolling with a bigger person can be just as safe/dangerous as boxing with a bigger person. It all depends on how much of an asshat your partner is.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    any reason?

reason I won't really fight or that i wanted to get in the thread? I'm going to assume you mean why won't i fight. I can't afford to get hurt. I'm even hesitant to roll with rambunctious guys for that reason. I love learning. It's great for helping me stay fit and as a fan it's nice having a good understand of what's going on.

Yeah I would say you probably have a bigger chance of getting hurt trainning MMA than you do in the cage, but that is probably because you train harder when you prepare for an actual fight.
  • aloubere
    Options
    As far as jiu jitsu goes, as long as your partner is not a **** and you both clarify that you are going light, there should be no reason why anyone should get hurt. I grapple with people that weigh almost twice as much as i do sometimes and suffer no injury from it. At my gym there are small guys more likely to hurt you. its all about the experience level of your partner. guys new to the sport tend to spaz out, especially when they get put on their back.
  • rstoliker
    Options
    As far as jiu jitsu goes, as long as your partner is not a **** and you both clarify that you are going light, there should be no reason why anyone should get hurt. I grapple with people that weigh almost twice as much as i do sometimes and suffer no injury from it. At my gym there are small guys more likely to hurt you. its all about the experience level of your partner. guys new to the sport tend to spaz out, especially when they get put on their back.

completely agree. I find that I mostly get hurt or banged up by inexperienced people who have ideas on what to do....but dont understand the concepts and applications. Otherwise...rolling with the big boys and the small fries are the same either way and improve my game on both ends!
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i weigh around 135 walking around and <129.9 around competition time... and at my gym (out of the whole lot) there are only two guys my size, two girls who might be bigger than me, and two teens that are smaller than me. the next closest match has me by 30 lbs. ive grown accustomed to rolling with larger partners. i'm happy with my sub defense and escapes. when they smother, i just wait and protect my neck and arms. when they move (to change position or atttack) is when I find room to scramble. from my experience, expending energy trying to FORCE an escape (like with like-sized people) leads nowhere but tired and hurt. i wait for one as soon as there is movement.

conversely, the opportunites i do get to play top game have shown me that when i play a tight technical game, my larger partners have resorted to explosive strength-based escapes on occasion. that wont work when they pick on someone their own size.

be defensive. be patient. be first/fast when there is a window to scramble.
  • thecraigferguson
    thecraigferguson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have trained MMA, but never fought. I have been a training partner to UFC, Bellator and Strikeforce fighters. I did it because I wanted to test my jiu jitsu (I'm a purple belt, but mostly did MMA when I was white/blue.)

I stopped because of time commitments, but also because I am a professional writer and do not need to be punched in the head - even w/ a head gear on. I also knew I would never get cleared to fight because I have very poor vision without my glasses and cannot wear contacts.

Just some suggestions:

- roll with higher-ranked people. they have better control and likely less ego about training with a woman. I am a 230lb purple belt and can safely roll with my 6-year-old daughter. she weighs 50lbs.

- Ask to flow roll. This is just moving through the positions with a focus on fluidity - nobody wins, nobody loses.

- Focus on your own technique rather than winning and losing. If you are going all out, your training partner can sense it. Newer guys or guys with ego problems will react in kind to avoid "losing." Just relax, try to do the techs from class and focus on being smooth.

- If nothing else works, find a friend who is a similar size who is interested in going to class with you.
  • rstoliker
    Options

Just some suggestions:

- roll with higher-ranked people. they have better control and likely less ego about training with a woman. I am a 230lb purple belt and can safely roll with my 6-year-old daughter. she weighs 50lbs.

- Ask to flow roll. This is just moving through the positions with a focus on fluidity - nobody wins, nobody loses.

- Focus on your own technique rather than winning and losing. If you are going all out, your training partner can sense it. Newer guys or guys with ego problems will react in kind to avoid "losing." Just relax, try to do the techs from class and focus on being smooth.

- If nothing else works, find a friend who is a similar size who is interested in going to class with you.

probably the most sound advice ever!
  • LGinSoCal
    LGinSoCal Posts: 21 Member
    Options

If you take it up BJJ, you don't really have a choice in partner size. I am very small and so everyone is 30+ lbs. I am still alive!

It is a little tricky transitioning from habit of movement (boxing) to another (grappling). I know what you mean. With striking you can *see* that you have option of moving out of harm's way and you have that lucky punch thing. Grappling it is all on. So striking people get a little frustrated at first because there is NO OPTION to win. You just pay your dues on the mat.

Techniques to prevent injury hmmmm. No. Sorry. The ONLY one I can think of is TAP. TAP a lot. No ego, just tap. Over the course of time and practice you learn your own style of defense but accidents happen.

Hope that helps.
  • aloubere
    Options
    ^^^ This! its extremely important to know when to tap out. i see too many guys and girls get hurt because foolish pride prevents them from tapping to a tight submission. The other issue that you encounter that was mentioned earlier are people who have a grasp of some techniques but absolutely none of the control required to apply them safely. No offense to wrestlers but it is often guys who make the transition to jiu jitsu, know a few submissions, and insist on applying them with wrestling speed. Don't be afraid to tell someone to slow down or relax. And just keep in mind that aside from a few exceptions, most guys in the gym that do this are not trying to hurt you, they just dont know any better.