Punching causing headaches?

Options
JephaMooi
JephaMooi Posts: 112 Member
Anyone else get massive headaches after roughly and hour of punching?

Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I cant say that I've ever gotten a headache from punching, but I know that after extreme classes sometimes I'll have a migraine from hell. Typically when I become very dehydrated.

Are you staying hydrated?

The only other thing I can think of is concentration. I also play alot of poker, and everytime I leave a table...I get a nasty headache...I'm pretty sure its from over concentrating for extended periods of time.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Yes, the dude I punched.

Looking at your diary for the past few days, I would say you are not getting enough food. I get headaches if I do an intense workout and am running low on fuel. Also, try putting some BCAAs in your water to drink while you train.

:)
  • JephaMooi
    Options
    <3 Chris you is the sweetest! I'm working on 1200calories a day real hard.

It's specifically on my dominant arms side.
    I practice both sides, but it's almost as if I'm not punching from my hips enough and straining my arm and boggling my head on that side.

Does that make sense?
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    He might be right, a big part of the problem could well either your low intake, dehydration, or both.

Another problem could very easily be poor form, or misalignment. If you haven't seen a chiropractor, I would recommend it.
  • JephaMooi
    Options
    I keep water going through my training AND my day, so I highly think that's the problem.
    Definitely see a difference in performance between the days I have a low and high nutritional intakes.

Second day on the inversion table.

Hoping this works.

Perhaps a massage therapist for Christmas..... :D
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    This sounds crazy, but could it be the pounding sound you're hearing for an hour? You probably don't notice it while you're working out, but hitting a bag can get loud. Try wearing earplugs as a test.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Your blood sugar could be dropping during your workout. Try a small protein snack beforehand?
    And I agree with regular chiropractor visits.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Have you had your blood pressure checked? When mine is up after a workout I sometimes get headaches.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Have you had your blood pressure checked? When mine is up after a workout I sometimes get headaches.
    This, too. Or mine is on the low side, and my head hurts when it drops (when I am dehydrated or get too hot)...but I usually have some dizziness to go along with it.
  • JephaMooi
    Options
    No to blood sugar or blood pressure checks.

Just hit up my regular family doctor for these?
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    headaches are normal after extremly strenous activity.

Jeph-probably nothing wrong with you, but I believe this happens as a result of your body dealing with stress, will find references.

Primary exercise headaches
    The exact cause of primary exercise headaches is unknown. One theory is that strenuous exercise dilates blood vessels inside the skull.

http://www.neurology.org/content/63/3/427.short

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise-headaches/DS00641

There are much more, but it's normal, you can do research if you'd like.
  • mani_r
    mani_r Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching your neck before your workout/training session???
    Sometimes if your neck muscles are tense or you are tensing them when throwing strikes (subconciously), it can result in a headache... especially in the temporal area.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Do you clench your teeth when you punch? Sounds like you've got your head/neck muscles clenched for a long time.
  • fivecardstudpts
    fivecardstudpts Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had this problem as well. I found that I was actually becoming dehydrated. I went from drinking water to G2, and it as helped tons.
    Jessica
  • LGinSoCal
    LGinSoCal Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sounds like impact and tension. I found wearing a mouth piece while just training (like bag or pads) helps a lot. Then there are certain yoga poses and physical therapy stretches that work. It is helpful to train in more than one mode of movement.