My C25k running 'cycle'

Options
I'm on week 9, and since the first day with no walking interval, I seem to have followed the same cycle. Presented for your edification/amusement -

Night before a run - "Oh God, running tomorrow. It's going to kill me. Maybe I should give up. I could get to work a little earlier that way. I've not told anyone I'm doing this. No one will even know I'm a quitter."
Morning of the run - "No, I won't damn quit. I'm seeing this thing through if it kills me."
Turning on the treadmill - "Oh God, why am I doing this to myself again?"
Quarter of the way through - "Why am I so knackered already? I've been running this far since week 4. Come on man!"
Halfway through - "ok, maybe this isn't so bad, I think I can make it after all"
Three quarters of the way - "I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die"
One or two minutes to the end of the run - "Come on you *kitten*, lets see what you have left" <increase treadmill speed by 2 or 3 mph>
Cool down - "Woooo! Made it. Now I just need to stay upright for another five minutes and I can stretch"
End - "That was fantastic, I feel great, can't wait until next time."

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Replies

• missmidge84
    missmidge84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Love it. I'm in week 8 and it's pretty spot on for my thought process too!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That's about it. Except the night before, I'm like "Woo hoo! I can hardly wait."

And at the quarter point, I'm like "Oh God. Is the program broken? Did the clock shut off? Aren't I half way yet????"
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    That's about it. Except the night before, I'm like "Woo hoo! I can hardly wait."

And at the quarter point, I'm like "Oh God. Is the program broken? Did the clock shut off? Aren't I half way yet????"

:laugh: I know that feeling - because it actually happened to me once! I swapped out of the app because I couldn't bare to watch the time ticking down. I thought it would keep running in the background and still notify me, but it didn't!
  • es2189
    es2189 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This is completely me. I finished the program in August, and it's still me!! I actually have cut back on running since the new year to get really into weight lifting, but I anticipate it starting again when I start running again (probably when it gets a little warmer!).
  • ashleymmannisto
    ashleymmannisto Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    OMG that discribes me EXACTLY and I'm on W1D2! LOL.... :) I am actually on the discussion board to encourage myself to do tonights run! LOL....I'm like damn why am I doing this? Them I'm like oh i have to i told everyone I was running a 5k in aug. then well aug is like 6 months away, i can start later...back and forth with myself :P All day. I'm like freaking out. I can do it i can...nope i can't it was so hard, yes i can dont think about it! :) Thankfully my hubby is suportive and wont let me quit.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Ashley - yesterday, I peeked at the very fit guy who was obviously pushing himself to a new level on the treadmill next to me - he was running at 5.5. That's pretty fast ;)
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Ashley - yesterday, I peeked at the very fit guy who was obviously pushing himself to a new level on the treadmill next to me - he was running at 5.5. That's pretty fast ;)

That makes me feel pretty good, I run at 5.5mph and thought I was a bit of a slow poke. I like to crank it up to 7.5 for the last minute or two just to punish myself. I like to empty the tank - if I don't feel faint by the end of the run I don't feel like I did it right :laugh:
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Love it! Lol
  • hlsc
    hlsc Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, that sounds VERY familiar :laugh:
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one...LOL!
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    wtg everyone! I'm on week two... like reading your stories and take on this.... yay!
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I finished C25k in December and am onto 5k to 10k. This is still me during every run. I am pumped for hte run until I am a quarter into it. Then all I can think is - there is still 30 freaking minutes to go? Seriously? Why hasn't the timers moved down at all. I really try to concentrate on my music to stop the inner dialogue with all the voices in my head "you CAN do this" "oh just stop, it is okay" "One more song and you can slow down" and so on ... LOL
  • Otter1422
    Otter1422 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to get outside and run when it warms up a little bit here. On the treadmill all I do is keep looking down at the time. Even if I try and make myself wait I can't hardly go a minute without looking at the time and thinking holly hell I am never going to make it! So far I always have, week 6 right now but I could be 1 minute into the run and I am already thinking I can't possible make it.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way on my runs. The first 5 minutes all I can think about is how I'm not a runner. 10 minutes in and I'm enjoying the run. 20 minutes in and I'm like I've got this.

I'm now doing the 5K to 10K and have the same thought process. I just completed 2 consecutive nights of 45 minute runs. Same thought process!

My 2 mantras for running have always been;

1) run you fat *kitten* run

2) This one is kind of cheesy but "quitting feels worse than any pain I have right now."
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Mine is: you could do it yesterday. No excuse for quitting today.
  • Otter1422
    Otter1422 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way on my runs. The first 5 minutes all I can think about is how I'm not a runner. 10 minutes in and I'm enjoying the run. 20 minutes in and I'm like I've got this.

I'm now doing the 5K to 10K and have the same thought process. I just completed 2 consecutive nights of 45 minute runs. Same thought process!

2) This one is kind of cheesy but "quitting feels worse than any pain I have right now."

I use the quitting one also. I have also told myself a couple times that I am being chased by the fat version of myself that wants me to quit. Pretty silly I guess.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options

I use the quitting one also. I have also told myself a couple times that I am being chased by the fat version of myself that wants me to quit. Pretty silly I guess.

Lol, I like that!
    I actually contemplated getting a cartoon version of my fat self tattooed on me so I would never forget and go back to what I was before. I decided I'm never going to look like that again so no tattoo.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    My process is something like this right now:

Before run: Oh boy...this run is scary.
    During run: You got this. Get threw it. Hell yeah! Metallica!
    After run: Yeah baby....bring on the next run.
    Next day: ****...this one is longer.

Rinse and repeat.