just saying hi

Options
Susan here...I'm 52 and haven't cycled for 8 wonderful months. On the other hand I have almost no memory, My stomach looks like I could have twins (again). I'm on anti depressants to just pass as sane, and have to take 3 sleeping pills to get to sleep at night. Until I read some of your posts I thought it was just me. Is any of this going to ease up soon? I could really use some encouraging news.

Replies

• Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Melody here I'm 46 and have not had a regular period for years just occasional spotting and that it not very often. I think my body thinks it is older than it is due to having five children before 30. I had a cancer screening over a year ago with a pap and mam and they offered to give me something to have regular periods. I told her she was crazy why would I want that. But I have started getting hot flashes that are really scary. I do also have memory issues which my father is getting really bad at 75 so I know that will only get worse for me. I just need to lose my extra weight and become active again while I still can.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Melody here I'm 46 and have not had a regular period for years just occasional spotting and that it not very often. I think my body thinks it is older than it is due to having five children before 30. I had a cancer screening over a year ago with a pap and mam and they offered to give me something to have regular periods. I told her she was crazy why would I want that. But I have started getting hot flashes that are really scary. I do also have memory issues which my father is getting really bad at 75 so I know that will only get worse for me. I just need to lose my extra weight and become active again while I still can.
    Hot flashes are shocking, aren't they?
  • skinnysuelopez
    skinnysuelopez Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes hot flashes are shocking. They tend to be a little embarrassing too in public.. My family just laughs and opens the door, thank god for winter.
  • lewshetland
    lewshetland Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It's the insomnia that is my biggest problem. I used to nag my teenage daughter for sleeping her life away! Now I am just so jealous and tell her to enjoy it when she can.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Hot flashes and insomnia both stink mine are starting to get a litte better and less frequent - there is light at the end of the tunnell
  • janet1124
    janet1124 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and the intensity of the hot flashes has abated. YAY! The weight gain seems to have taken over. BOO! And I agree that being past the period is a good thing YAY! I guess it's a mixed bag here. HA!
  • TashaHem
    Options
    Susan I feel your pain!! I am 53, thoroughly through menopause, but still wake up 3 nights of the week at 3 in the morning, struggle to remember things, and have thought on and off about anti-depressants (was on them for pms symptoms in my 40s... saved my marriage), but I'm worried they will make me gain even more weight.

I take tylenol pm on nights when I have just had it and want to sleep through the night (works really well for me). I also take B-12, magnesium, chromium picolate and vitamin D to boost my brain (not sure it is working!) . Going pretty much gluten free helped lift the "brain fog". Good luck, and I am in your corner!
  • MicheleNaame
    MicheleNaame Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi all... I'm 44 and was thrown into menopause las tear when I had to have a hysterectomy. I am TOTALLY thrilled not to have to suffer through my period anymore...but the hot flashes...insomnia...mood swings...and weight gain are equally as distressing for me. Especially the weight gain...UGH!!!

I'm glad to have found this group...now I don't feel quite so much like I'm loosing my mind. :)
  • skinnysuelopez
    skinnysuelopez Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Thanks ladies for all the cool advice and the encouragement. OOPS hubies home got to get dinner on the table. Thanks again