What's your favorite meal when you're home alone?

Options
I love this so much, I've saved it as "Alice's Home Alone dinner."

Note that these are whole foods, good fats, and this is a huge bowl of healthy pasta to curl up on the sofa with at the end of the day. The egg breaks over the buttery fish and down into the noodles & arugula like a sauce and the whole thing is just exquisitely delicious!

BROWN-BUTTER TILAPIA w/SHIRATAKI FETTUCINE, ARUGULA & FRIED EGG

Pan-fry a tilapia fillet (@6 oz) in 1T brown butter w/S&P & parsley on both sides. Set aside.

Fry an egg til the whites are solid, and slide on top of the fish.

Toss a whole bag (8 oz) of rinsed, drained & towel-patted shirataki tofu noodles and 2-5 cups baby organic arugula in 1/2T sesame oil & 1T ponzu in the same pan (with the drippings). Remove into large bowl. Add 1T of shredded parmesan and toss.

Slide the fish & egg on top of the noodles.

Pour a glass of wine and retire to the sofa. Mmmmm.

Calories: 431
Net carbs: 7
Fat: 23
Protein: 46
Fiber: 5
Sodium: 512

Replies

• CityGirl129
    Options
    Sounds really delicious... but what is PONZU? never heard of it?
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Sounds really delicious... but what is PONZU? never heard of it?

Ponzu is a very light citrus soy sauce. It's ery low calorie and much lower sodium than full soy. It adds a lovely layer to shirataki noodles (which have no flavor of their own), and, with the sesame oil, gives a slightly Japanese essence to the noodles & arugula (which wilt down like spinach).
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I like to make a big spicy stir-fry of veg and chicken served over shredded sauteed cabbage instead of rice. My husband doesn't care for cooked cabbage so if I'm cooking for myself that is usually included. We often eat different sides tho. Roasted vegetables of any type are another thing I fix for myself.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicious!

I like grilled plaice fillet with teriyaki sauce, chilli and garlic on top served with one sweet potato and veg like broccoli with a small pat of butter. Trying to cut down in the wine but a glass of cold Pouilly fume would be wonderful with this!
  • lilrhody
    lilrhody Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Since my hubby is allergic to shellfish, whenever I get an evening alone at home for dinner I sautee shrimp, grape tomatoes, spinach and garlic in some olive oil, white wine and lemon juice - then serve that over whole wheat pasta or quinoa with some fresh basil and oregano.
  • jiz35
    jiz35 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I like to make a big spicy stir-fry of veg and chicken served over shredded sauteed cabbage instead of rice. My husband doesn't care for cooked cabbage so if I'm cooking for myself that is usually included. We often eat different sides tho. Roasted vegetables of any type are another thing I fix for myself.

What a good idea for the cabbage. I really like the sound of this meal..
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    trout with lemon and almond slivers, broiled.
    canned lima beans
    A nice Vinho Verde wine

My husband hates all three. :-)
  • THuffman1967
    THuffman1967 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Since my hubby is allergic to shellfish, whenever I get an evening alone at home for dinner I sautee shrimp, grape tomatoes, spinach and garlic in some olive oil, white wine and lemon juice - then serve that over whole wheat pasta or quinoa with some fresh basil and oregano.

Oh my goodness! That sounds awesome, and I'm in the same boat! Hubby allergic to shrimp, so I almost never make it unless he is gone. I am going to make this tonight!!
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Ha! I try really hard not to eat when I am alone. It is too easy for me to get out of control! All jokes aside, if it is me, I tend to pull a Lean Cuisine out of the freezer. I like their rewards program, and the also the variety of their foods.
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    lol...I should have read before answering! Ya'll are making me hungry!
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options
    I would make a pretty plate of a rich, buttery brie with thinly sliced pears, apples and grapes, with oven warmed artisan bread and a lovely glass of Pinot Grigio to sip. My hubby likes this, but he doesn't appreciate as much as I do. It makes me so happy, I hum and savor every lit'l morsel :love:
  • tigerlinly
    tigerlinly Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    if i had my way i would eat a couple of eggs and some toast in the morning for breakfast at lunch a bowl of soup then at dinner i would rather not eat at all if not hungry but mom gets mad if i dont eat so i usually blow my whole day becasue i eat just to keep the peace around here but half to three fourths the time come dinner time i am just not hungry if i get hungry i'll fix a bowl of soup and be fine
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    You all eat so healthy when you're home alone! For me, I would eat pancakes every day for dinner. But, I don't. My husband is only home on weekends, so I cook very healthy and eat leftovers most of the week.
  • shawneliz
    shawneliz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm a stir fry fan too. LOVE anything with tons of garlic and onion. I made stir fry cabbage with shrimp last night for the first time - awesome. I also love rice but have been sticking to brown rice and making it infrequently.

I also love a very thin crust pizza - almost crunchy - with pesto, garlic, good quality cheese and olives.

And wine!
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I season a fillet of frozen tilapia and microwave to cook it. I have a side salad of romaine lettuce with shredded cabbage with a bit of homemade oriental dressing. For a snack later I would pick air popped and seasoned popcorn. I love fish and popcorn.
  • mklassy123
    mklassy123 Posts: 153
    Options
    I have become an addict of the broccoli crust pizza on the recipe site on here. I have to perfect it before I make it for my boyfriend. I live alone so I often eat alone, I had to really teach myself to cook as opposed to opening up a box or ordering food in, I guess the opposite for me would be what would be my favorite meal when I eat with others - and the answer to that is whatever he cooks for me, LOL!
  • arnfolly
    arnfolly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    CHICKEN QUESIDILLAS. they are SUPER EASY to put together and I can add lots of healthy things to them. This is probably what i eat A LOT. Plus, change the chicken marinade for a different taste, change up the beans or veggies. The varieties are almost LIMITLESS!
  • raffa68
    raffa68 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello everyone out there! I received an invitation to join this group, so here I am. I have never done this before so it seems a little strange to me.
    My favorite meal when I am alone would have been pizza, but I guess that is a thing of the past. I don't really have a healthy choice yet, so I appreciate the ideas you are all coming up with! I will have to try a few and see what I can develop!
  • Mamafred
    Mamafred Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Used to be about half of a large, supreme pizza. That is, back in the old and ignorant days.
    Now, it is mixed veggies, seasoned with Mrs Dash on a bed of quinoa that I have seasoned with curry powder, rosemary and caraway seeds. I love it but my husband won't touch it on a bet!
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options
    CHICKEN QUESIDILLAS. they are SUPER EASY to put together and I can add lots of healthy things to them. This is probably what i eat A LOT. Plus, change the chicken marinade for a different taste, change up the beans or veggies. The varieties are almost LIMITLESS!

Yum! We do this a lot. So fast, simple and can be so tasty!