Am I really hungry or is it in my head?

Options
rosy003
rosy003 Posts: 251 Member
I am having my healthiest pregnancy yet- I workout 6 days a week for at least 30 minutes, I'm tracking my food/calories and staying pretty darn close to the recommended amount (I'm set at 1900, more for exercise) I've gained 9 lbs at 22 weeks- about a pound a week for the last 8 weeks (I started at 115, 5'3"). Yet, I feel hungry all the time! I'm drinking lots of water, and I still feel hungry. I am getting at least 90 g of protein a day and still hungry! I have had eating disorder issues in the past, so I don't trust myself fully to determine if I'm actually hungry or not.
My question is, if my weight gain is on track, which it is, is this hunger just in my head? Do I ignore it and focus on my numbers? I guess I just need some motivation to push through. I've felt this way for about 2 weeks now. Thanks for your help.

Replies

• nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I would listen to your body on this one... if you feel hungry, it is probably for a reason. Are your calories set to maintenance or to gain? With the amount that you are exercising, your body may be trying to tell you that it needs more nutrients for the baby.
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I would say that it is real and not in your head. Try increasing calories slightly, you might not even gain weight even with more calories. I was set at 1650 for awhile and was STARVING so I increased to 1800 and it helped a lot and I still have only gained 1 pound (I'm only 8.5 weeks). I think that you should listen to your body, I think that you are hungry for a reason and as long as you are making healthy choices you should be fine. Great work so far!
  • rosy003
    Options
    My calories are set to gain 1/2 lb per week, which works out to 300 above maintaining- right where it should be. I'm just worried about gaining too much! I wound up gaining 40 lbs with each of my other 2 kids- I was eating crap and not working out while I was pregnant with them. Maybe I will try to up the calories for a week or 2 and see what happens. I'm so frustrated! Thanks for your input.
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others have said. Also, I talked to my doc about my weight gain and he said it's more important to focus on WHAT I'm eating than how much. He said if I'm eating well not to worry if I'm gaining what seems like a lot but if I'm not eating lean protein and healthy carbs I need to reacess my intake
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I started feeling the same way around 20 weeks and I've been pretty active too. I think it's normal and just your body and your baby's way of telling you to eat a little more if you feel hungry. Around 20 weeks supposedly our babies have major growth spurts for a few weeks. If you gain a little around that time it's because the baby needs it and it'll probably level out after that for a few weeks before picking back up again. Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I have been like a garbage disposal the past few weeks...I notice that my calories are usually highest when I'm eating empty calories. If you're eating healthy and feel more hungry, it's probably because you are! I gained 4.5 lbs in the last 2 weeks, so I definitely have to figure out a better strategy!
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I am close to giving up on the meticulous watch about weight and focus on finishing school and having energy to do basic things. I am in the hunger boat and get woken up by hunger all the time at odd hours. I would listen to your body and watch you liquid calories. I am all on water and occasional tea or coffee. One of my docs says that people run to juices but it is fast calories that provides numbers but little nutrient, eating the actually fruit gives you so much more. Whats the point? Quality not quantity and watch what you are drinking. You have already developed good habits, so listen to your body, it may just like the 40 pound gain in pregnancy and you have lost it before so..............
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    There are times where you body will require more than what you've got MFP set to because the baby goes through growth spurts. But if it's all the time, my question to you is are you eating all your exercise calories? If not, try eating all of them and see how that helps. Good luck!
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Just a thought but I have noticed I am not satisfied if I'm not eating enough fat. Protein is good for filling but you need healthy fats too to keep you satisfied. Try getting more calories from healthy fats and see if that helps.
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've been trying this week to get more protein/fats from healthy sources as well and less empty carbs and it is helping most of the time. Grilled chicken or steak, black beans, and guacamole seem to really satisfy me...and triscuits with cheddar cheese or apples with string cheese and yogurt are snack combinations that seem to work in between meals. But some days I feel like a bottomless pit! I have craved chick-fil-a a lot this pregnancy and suddenly even that, as many calories as it has, leaves me hungry in a few hours. I have instead tried to limit that to once a week and have replaced that craving with a big Caesar salad with low fat dressing and grilled chicken, with whole grain bread. It seems to fill me a lot more! And is like half the calories of that fast food.
  • rosy003
    Options
    Thanks ladies! My hunger seems to have dropped off a bit- maybe it was just a growth spurt for my little guy. :). I am still trying to eat enough fat- I have many food allergies that keep me away from the best sources unfortunately (nuts, avocado).
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I agree with others, if you're hungry eat... albeit nutritional food. Besides, what's the worst that can happen if you're wrong? Gaining weight isn't nearly as important as a healthy baby!