How's it going everyone?

Options
I'm with Jaime. It IS the little things. Don't be discouraged, even when you fail. I have failed so many times, it is ridiculous. Take today, for example. Signed up to go to cardio at Studio 22, 8a, with Lesley. I snoozed the alarm one too many times, and got up after 9a. Sigh. Disappointed in my own accountability, but that's just it. I have to deal with it and move on. So I will. I walked the dog in this snowy weather for 45 minutes on a 3 mph level, and came in sweating. I'm really considering going to play volleyball tomorrow. If you fail, work through it, and move on. Have a GREAT weekend everyone, and it's Super Bowl weekend, so don't go beating yourself up too much. I will be eating junk food tomorrow evening!

Replies

• drt708
    Options
    It is going slow for me. I am just hoping I can remember to track everything! :)
  • jaimefaulkner
    Options
    Things have been going pretty well for me. I was nervous about my weigh-in this week because last Friday night I was here until 6:45 and so I picked up Cousin Vinny's pizza. Then, I ate out for breakfast and dinner Saturday. Sunday was the Super Bowl so I ate a little more than normal. To my surprise, I was down 2.5 lbs this morning. I realized, though, if we are diligent 90% of the time...the 10% where we go overboard doesn't impact us as much.

I really encourage everyone to try to stick to your daily allotted calories. The exercise is great but the calorie control and healthy food choices have made the greatest impact on my results!
  • jyarbs19
    jyarbs19 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great advice Jaime.
  • chase556
    chase556 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well, my mom would be happy. I weighed in today for the first time in at least a year. I weigh more now than I have in my entire life. Mom is always saying, eat, gain weight. Done!

Like many things I wanted to avoid reality so I put off knowing my weight. At 177 pounds I at least have a bench mark to hold or shred a couple of pounds. For me right now it's more about maintaining and being in shape.
  • mbanes
    mbanes Posts: 10
    Options
    It's going slow for me too :( uugghh
  • tinamchadwick
    Options
    Things have been slow for me as well, however there has been a lot of good advice.
  • tinafranksrabel
    Options
    Discovered I can eat all the cauliflower, carrots and sweet red peppers I want. The Do-si-do girl scout cookies are probably the best for me regarding satisfaction and "goodness" for me. And when I eat the Applebee's chocolate whatever cake that I like to eat everyonce in a while I should be sure that it's a day filled with the above veggies and a good 60 minute workout. Also, I am still not drinking enough water. Can someone turn on the thirsty gene in my body? :drinker:
  • queenbee47340
    Options
    Well, I have not exercised yet. I have not ate alot, so i hope I am doing well. right now I am just trying to figure out how to log everything and keep track so I can get to rackin up the points. If you are working hard to keep track of everyhting...you might as well get rewarded for it. ha ha. have a nice weekend everyone.
  • tmalak
    Options
    I was highly motivated by my sister-in-law this weekend! She begins her intensive battle against lung and esophagus cancer today. Radiation and Chemo at the same time. She will live on protein shakes and smoothies soon. My issues are so small compared to that! I can avoid the cookie when I am not hungry! I can watch what I eat and be accountable for it. I can make sure I take my vitamins and that my nutritional intake is balanced. Sure it is a daily struggle, but when put in perspective to the world around us, I can manage this challenge!
  • grandmama59
    Options
    I started off strong but weekends are so hard for me...especially when there's a special occasion which is quite often in our family. How many of you take the weekend off or at least one day?
  • dot23scott
    Options
    I'm frustrated. I try to be at least decent with what I eat, and I do go over 1200 calories on days I don't exercise, but still, that little "note" I get when I complete my food/exercise diary for the day keeps telling me what I would weigh if I did exact same thing for 5 weeks, and yet, I can't seem to get beyond the 3# weight loss. Where's that additional 10# loss they keep telling me about. I am being rather diligent and trying to log everything that I eat - even the pieces of Laffy Taffy I had yesterday. What is up with that! Color me frustrated. Any tips would be great.
  • BekaSteele
    BekaSteele Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Dorothy - how frustrating :( I know you've been working hard at Studio 22! My advice would be to really look at the quality of what you are eating. In high school my trainer told me that more than 80% of what you look like is based on what you eat. I would encourage you to take your food log to Studio 22 and have your trainer look over it and see if he can offer any advice.

Keep up the good work! Know that you are creating a healthy behavior - and thats worth a lot more than a number on the scale!
  • dot23scott
    Options
    :drinker: Thanks Beka - I got a few #s off today - finally. I went way above & beyond yesterday - lots of dog walking (& falling, too), and my cardio workout, so that helped. I know I still eat not as well as I could or should, and have an issue with sweets. It's a marathon, not a sprint, right? And in the 50s, weight does NOT come off like it did when I was 20-something. I am so looking forward to spring when we can get some folks walking at lunch time, or after work, too!:smokin:
  • jaimefaulkner
    Options
    Hang in there Dorothy. It is a marathon...not a sprint. As you may recall, I have been working out for almost two years at least three days a week (if not 4 or 5). Only this year have I seen any weight loss. And I can solely contribute it to my diet. Working out certainly helps and is getting my heart healthy, toning my body, losing inches, etc. But actual weight loss, for me, has only been diet related.

I am like you in that I LOVE sweets. I've made some healthier choices now for sweets. (Besides that I've given them up for Lent.)

- Edy's Slow Churned Fudge Tracks. I love this ice cream. Tastes very similar to other fudge tracks and is only 120 calories for a 1/2 cup. I force myself to stick to the 1/2 cup, unless I have extra calories at the end of the night, as it really is sufficient for my sweet tooth. (http://www.edys.com/SlowChurned/Flavor/1677 - Link)

- Edy's Outshine - Fruit popsicles (http://www.outshinesnacks.com/products/seasonal/ - Link)
    These are only 100 calories and the peach is absolutely DELICIOUS!!!!

-Snack size chocolate bars - When I'm really craving something, I allow for a snack size kit kat or something. Still under 100 calories, but allows me to indulge.

Unfortunately, for me it has gotten to the point that I simply cannot purchase the items I really want (girl scout cookies, blizzards, etc.) I cannot have that food in my house. I have had to choose healthier items to indulge in. And then I don't feel so bad when I have a blizzard or dessert at a restaurant, once in a while.

Hope that helps.
  • dot23scott
    Options
    Thanks Jaime & Beka! That helps! And yes, Shelly - weekends are BAD for me, too. It doesn't help that my family still brings treats into the home, and I am not strong enough to NOT indulge. I also have to confess, sometimes I am the culprit. I'm trying to fight off being a "boredom" eater. Last night after a great workout, I sat with a bag of Gingerbread pita chips in hand. Geesh, there went 280 calories that I can't get back - all just sitting in front of the tv enjoying IU basketball.... Until they lost, anyway. :) Go team, go! One day at a time.
  • BekaSteele
    BekaSteele Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    One thing I've found really helpful...

When I'm eating out or being tempted by a bad food I make myself look up the calories BEFORE I eat it. It's a really great reality check for myself, and then I can ask myself, is this item really worth this amount of calories? If it is worth it then I can make a concious effort to enjoy it - if its not worth it, then I tell myself to walk away and avoid the 'guilty' feeling I'll get later.

It's all about making an informed decision!
  • jromero04
    jromero04 Posts: 15
    Options
    I have gotten off track a little but after the health screening today, I really need to work 10x harde than ever and this has to be the year to meet my goal if not more.
  • tinamchadwick
    Options
    I too, have gotten off track and am trying to make the healthy changes I need to make. It is one of those things that I just have to determine that is is time to do what is best for my body. Better to start now than later.
  • ashypashy1
    Options
    Well folks...it has been a few weeks since I have even been on here! I've been really off track lately, even though I think about it constantly! I could definitely blame my lack of caring on midterms and my son's birthday that just came around, but really, I have only myself to blame! I really need to get back on track with eating, logging and working out. I think working out is what I struggle with the most. I feel like I never have time. I feel like every night, I HAVE to get homework done (which is kind of true, or else I get behind) and I usually have to work out when my kids are in bed because they will just be right under my feet. I would join a gym but I honestly can't really afford it and I'm not sure how often I would go. If anyone has any tips for me, feel free to let me know!!!
  • Jday56
    Jday56 Posts: 9
    Options
    I just really started this week really trying to focus and I must say my energy level is not what I expected it to be. I work out twice a day and I still just as tired as I usually am. Maybe my body is going through withdraws from all the crap I have been eating.