Grazing vs. every 2-3 hours

Options
anichellek
anichellek Posts: 20 Member
I am more of a eat something small every 1-2 hours rather than a eat something larger every 3 hours. Is it doing me any harm to be eating that frequently? Should I try to eat larger portions less often?

I know in the starter kit it says to eat a meal then set a timer for 2-3 hours. I seem to get hungry after just 1 hour...

For example this morning I had oatmeal at about 9:30 then a string cheese at 10:30 then soup at 12:00. Now it's 2:00 and I'm going to have my fruit and yogurt...

Maybe it doesn't matter...

Thanks for your input!

Replies

• norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    starter kit? not sure what you are referring to.

regarding your question, do what works for you. it's best not to be overly hungry come mealtime (to avoid overeating/binging).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you are getting low blood sugar because the meal caused insulin spike because you overeact to carbs right now, sure you would feel hungry, even though you really aren't.

The bad thing to glazing is when the insulin goes up, fat-burning mode is turned off and you are burning what you ate, or storing the carbs as glucose if that is needed first, or anything as fat if not needed and used right then.

Takes 3-5 hrs for insulin to settle back down and allow fat-burning again, which when not active will be vast majority of energy source.

Whereas big meal you replenish what has been used from last meal, protein repair, and store anything extra during that time. Then back to fat-burning mode until next meal.

It should work out about the same. But if it makes you eat more always getting low blood sugar because of insulin problems, or making it harder - that's no good.

Try including more fat and protein with snacks and eat that first before any carbs.

Cheesestick makes me wonder though, you just may over-react to any food eaten right now and get insulin rush. In which case you may benefit from forcing body to wait longer.

May also be the meals aren't big enough. How many calories in oatmeal? How many in soup?
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    If I only ate 200-300 calories for breakfast, I would be hungry an hour later too. (I peeked in your diary. :smile: ) Maybe eat more per meal and then you won't be so hungry within an hour of eating. I try to eat a quarter of my daily calories at breakfast to keep myself full until lunch time.
  • anichellek
    anichellek Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying everyone.

norcal_yogi the starter kit I'm referring to was on the em2wl website. It was a $5 ebook which nicely lays out all the details of how to start, whether you need to reset, how long to reset, etc. It's very useful.

I started upping my calories on Wednesday. I realized I probably need to focus on getting more calories in one meal rather than just eating all day long to hit my higher calorie goal. Today I added whole milk in my smoothie, felt guilty the whole time drinking it! But, surprise surprise, I wasn't hungry an hour later.

I have really enjoyed eating more, it's nice to know I don't have to stress over every tiny calorie I eat. But every night since I started EM2WL'ing I have woken up during the night in a panic thinking WTH am I doing! I'm completely sabotaging myself!! It's hard to calm down and remember that this really could work for me.

Sorry for rambling I'm still trying to convince myself that this is not a crazy fad diet like everything else I've done. If any of you are looking for EM2WL friends I would love to add you :flowerforyou:
  • amandacepstein
    amandacepstein Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    How's it been going? Have you been able to up cals/not be so hungry?