Fears?

Options
I was very positive about starting this weigh loss journey until I went to the seminar and seen on how much things would go wrong. I planned on the lap band but the doc talked about hes doing less and less of them these days because of long term problems and most people have it removed and end up going with by pass. I have my appointment with the doc 2/14 for my consultation but im scared out of my damn mind! was everyone else like that? its not the diet part its the surgery and what if something bad happens. I have 3 small children and im just scared I could die but I really want this not just for me but for them. And sometimes its the little things..last month we got bunk beds for the kids but i cant lay down with them because im over the weigh limit :( i dont know how i let myself gain this much weight..when i had my first child i was only 167 lbs and today i am now 267

Replies

• Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Everyone gets scared. It's normal. All the possible side effect are real, but very unlikely. As a mother of 3 children I'm sure that your OB gave you a terrible list of possible "complications" involving childbirth. Did any of those possibilities change your mind about continuing the pregnancy? The benefits of this surgery SO far outweigh the possible complications. I can't recomend it strongly enough.

Talk to your surgeon. Ask for percentages. Mine gave me a lot of less than 1% on just about everything.

I had bypass on 8.1.12 at 265 lbs. I am now 191 only 6 months out and feel and look great. I wish i had this surgery 10 years ago, 20 years ago.

Friend me if you need more hand holding.
  • xcarrie3137x
    Options
    Yes thats true I had 3 csections and I would do it again to have my children :]
    Alot of people are telling me that they would go back and do it in a heart beat even if they had some complications.
    Congrats on the weight loss so far! Im seeing you see results pretty fast with it and thats what I want!
    Sent a friend request, its nice to have people who are here to support me. Some of my family is supportive and some friends and family are not, because they dont understand why I cant just lose it on my own without going through a dangerous surgery and oh course they are not big like i am!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Most everyone I know through my local WLS support group who had sleeve surgery said they would do it agin and have no regrets. Even a couple people who had leaks and complications don't regret their decision one bit. Yes it is a serious operation and you should be aware of the all the risks and complications. Three weeks before my sleeve surgery I had a meeting with my surgeon and had to bring a witness/family member with me. They went over all the complications of the surgery and I had to understand and sign a consent form and my family member did too. They layed it all out there for you to know. Better to know up front than not to. If you weren't scared there would be something wrong with you I would think. This is serious.
    You have to make the choice in the long run. Ask your surgeon how many people have died on them during or after the surgery? Ask them how many paitents have had complications and what they were? They have to tell you if you ask. Better to be educated than to not be. The first couple months are rough, I am not gonna lie to you. They do get better though. I am almost 9 months out and have lost a total of 127.40 pounds, 47 pre op from 2/1/12 to 6/11/12 and 80.40 post op since sleeve surgery. Having my sleeve surgery was the best thing I have ever done for myself and I don't regret it at all. I only regret that I waited till I was 48 years old to have done.
  • Andrewimm
    Options
    It can be very scary, the risks are real but I had to remember that the health risks of being morbidly obese FAR outweigh the risks of the surgery. The risks of surgery are something that might happen. If I continued to live overweight the health risks weren't risks, they were a certainly. I had already developed core morbidities and if I continued on the path I was on I would never see my 2 year old grow up, never see her graduate, never walk her down the aisle.

Im only 6 weeks post op but would definately do it again in a heartbeat. Im down 72 pounds and counting!