Personal Trainers and EM2WL

Options
dwn2erth
dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
I'd like some opinions on Personal Trainers and if they are worth the $50 / hour in results. I've had a total of three and I'd say that 'what's funny' is that 'their' the one's who seem to be uninterested after a while in my results. I have a low thyroid and have abused my metabolism terribl\y in the past. I'm in menapause now and my weight no matter what I do seems to slowly creep up. I've been doing EM2WL for 15 weeks and 'I feel' so much stronger; my family says I look better; but the scale goes no where and my measurements are going up.
I'm on armour thyroid; estrodial; some testosterone and progesterone. A bunch of vitamins including Green Coffee and Raspberry Ketones.
Most of my weight is around the middle; I'm assuming Cortisol my be playing a huge part in this belly fat (and thigh fat) I drink a lot of coffee and am fairly isolated with my job and husband traveling all the time.
I'm thinking about joining either a group with a Personal Trainer or starting training again with someone I've seen training other women at the Gym.
I need more musle I think to break through this... What's other people's opinion.??? I know a lot of you have done it on your own with KIki's and Lucia's help. I am 'really' on a budget.

Replies

• dwn2erth
    Options
    Ok I think I've confused some people with a 3 lb weight loss all of a sudden on my site.. Let me explain that was after a weight gain of 3 lb's a week ago. MFP does not report the gains. I'm going to be courageous and give some stats,.

Start Statistincs 10/25/12
    Weight 197
    Caliper measure at waist don't know how accurate. 38mm
    Neck 14 1/4 "
    Chest 45"
    Waist 40 1/2 "
    Hips 46 1/2"
    Rt arm 14" Lft arm 13 3/4"
    Thigh Rt 25 3/4 " Lft 26"
    Calf rt 15" Lft 15 1/4 "

Today's Stats 2/8/13
    Weight 197.4
    Caliper measure at waist don't know how accurate 34 mm
    Neck 13 1/2"
    Chest 44"
    Waist 40 1/2"
    Hips 46 1/2 "
    Rt Arm 13 1/4 " Lft arm 13 1/2 "
    Thigh Rt 26 1/4" Left 26"
    Calf rt 15" lft 15"

Not much change in 16 weeks.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've noticed every trainer in our gym for the free assessment does 2 free workouts that are those core exercises and functional exercises (like ball pushups and press, strange stuff not really that functional).
    I think it shows people how weak they are to buy in to it.
    Then they keep doing that.

I've seen an odd few gym regulars that must have said right off none of that nonsense and spelled out what they wanted.
    I got the free sessions too and spelled out what I wanted, same junk stuff. I didn't need trainer anyway, but was curious to play newbie and see what they say - very sad the untruths, generic suggestions, and bad ideas, and fads too actually.

I'd say if you can get a couple free assessments, great.
    If you can say you want to pay for a few sessions to confirm your form lifting for instance maybe once a week for 4 weeks, great.
    If they demand you can only pay for so many sessions and must be 2 or 3 weekly, and it doesn't sound like you'll get your program or space it out like you want, forget it.

Watch and observe them, especially with new people. Always the same program?
  • dwn2erth
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.. I'll check those things out. I don't think this guy does any freebie;s But I've seen him training some other ladies at the gym and they look like they're getting a good work out. But you may be right; he may just be showing them how much they need him.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Another thing to remember is you can usually shop around for trainers. (Unless you live in a very rural area.) You don't have to go to the trainers at your gym. A lot of smaller locally owned gyms will have owner/trainers so you don't need to pay for a day pass, just the training.

Make sure you're interviewing your prospective trainers a bit to see if they're on board with what you want. I've read MFP horror stories of women telling their trainer they want to lift heavy weights, and the trainer basically telling them no and having them do a program of light weights and tons of cardio.

If you want to build muscle (which I whole heartedly recommend for health and aesthetic reasons) try to research different programs first to see what interests you. Starting strength, stronglifts, NROLFW are some big ones to look into first. You can then get a couple training sessions to go over form, and just follow the program after that. You'll also be more knowledgeable when talking to prospective trainers and less likely to waste money.

Good luck.