Garmin preference-- for those with bad eyes

Options
Ok folks,
This question is mostly for my dad.... He borrowed my Garmin Forerunner 410 (I'm going to keep using my baby until she dies for good) and he said he could read all of the numbers without his glasses---although I caught him squinting pretty bad when he tried to read the smaller fields at the bottom. He doesn't wear contacts when he runs, and he doesn't wear his glasses and just has problems reading without glasses. He was nervous to buy a Garmin or other running GPS device because the font being too small. I put his pace as the "main" field, as that is what he is mostly wanting to see---which was plenty big, and he liked it. But, I couldn't help but wonder if there was a better choice out there for him.

Are there any other GPS devices out there that you think have bigger font than the Garmin Forerunner 410?

Replies

• jjhenry5
    jjhenry5 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    One option might be to set the device to alert if the pace is either to slow or too high, then he can run using the audible signals (which are different for too high and too low) to stay in his pace range.

I use a Forerunner 305, which is pretty big. Even though they are discontinued, I think you can still find good used or refurb units. Or it looks like the 310XT, with a similar form factor is available new.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    One option might be to set the device to alert if the pace is either to slow or too high, then he can run using the audible signals (which are different for too high and too low) to stay in his pace range.

I use a Forerunner 305, which is pretty big. Even though they are discontinued, I think you can still find good used or refurb units. Or it looks like the 310XT, with a similar form factor is available new.

Thanks for the feedback! I will look at the Forerunner 305 & 310xt. My dad is still "young"- at 53- but he is 80% deaf (accident when he was younger), so the sound alerts won't help him much. But, I do like the feature on my tempo run days.

Thanks!!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I have a 310XT. It has a large screen. I configure my screen for 4 data points, but instead you can have one large one. You dont have to go without the other data fields though, you can set 4 pages of data, accessible via the up down buttons on the right.

I think it would be perfect for your father. It buzzes(vibrates notably) at intervals takers too.

Possibly all garmins are like this, I only know mine.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I have a 310XT. It has a large screen. I configure my screen for 4 data points, but instead you can have one large one. You dont have to go without the other data fields though, you can set 4 pages of data, accessible via the up down buttons on the right.

I think it would be perfect for your father. It buzzes(vibrates notably) at intervals takers too.

Possibly all garmins are like this, I only know mine.

Thank you! I do like the buzzing feature...that's neat! I like knowing what others use and love because I'm the type to stick with something I love until it gets completely phased out---and then I never know what else is really out there. Thanks for the feedback!
  • linddavis
    Options
    I couldnt figure out my 410... sent it back and got a 110. Hope you got good advice for your Dad. :)
  • runchris63
    Options
    I have a Timex Ironman that I really like. The two Garmins I had in the past gave me problems constantly.