I am going to hate myself in the morning!

Options
angela1700
angela1700 Posts: 31 Member
I did workout B1 today. I took advantage of a free training session at my gym so I could learn how to do a deadlift with proper form. Good thing, I surely would have hurt myself. I started out with just the bar. It was too easy. So we added 20. It felt like a good number. I was definitely sweating. Then the trainer encouraged me to squeak out just a couple more, which, I won't lie, made me feel like super woman, but, man am I feeling it now! Yowza!

I also had him help me out with the lat pull down, good thing as my hands would have been way too close together. I was doing 85#!!!! That amazes me. Only 12.5 # on the shoulder press.

I didn't get the lunges in because I fell off the swiss ball doing crunches and decided to call it a night. HA!

Any advice on what to do in the morning when I surely will feel like I cannot walk? I drank a protein shake right after my workout to hopefully speed recovery a bit.

Replies

• mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I could barely walk after both of my first two workouts. I didn't really do anything (except enjoy the pain) but you could try a bath with epsom salts. I took "balance" brand "Glutamine" 2 tablets twice a day on the two days after my first workout, and then two before I did my third workout. I take magnesium daily which I think is meant to help with cramps. I just went for gentle walks during my lunch breaks on those days.

The next week I had much less post workout pain - so it should get better. I have bought myself a foam roller to stretch with on non-workout days - but I probably should do it after my workouts too.

Hope you feel better - don't let the muscle pain stop you from lifting the proper weight - I was so sore from workout 1 that I didn't deadlift much on workout two, and I knew it - so I basically wasted that first B workout.
  • angela1700
    angela1700 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Foam roller? What's that?
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    This:

http://www.no1fitness.co.nz/accessories/eva-foam-roller-00105

This is the one I bought, as it is local to me - the physio local to my gym was going to charge another $30 on top of that!

Here are some exercises. I didn't know it was known as self myofascial release, although I have heard that term before - you learn something new every day!

http://www.bodyspex.com/Exercises.aspx?ExerciseArticleID=11
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Hot bath with epsom salts tonight.

Yoga and gentle, persistent stretching in the morning before a hot shower.

Smile every time your muscles hurt tomorrow and remind you what a badass you are! :happy:
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Stretch, tylenol, light movement, but what ever you do don't stay seated because it will make things worse.
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    Smile every time your muscles hurt tomorrow and remind you what a badass you are! :happy:

That! :smile:
    But I second the foam roller, and stretching whenever you think you are stiff and sore. I personally like to have a massage from time to time - as a matter of fact, I need to make an appointment soon :tongue:
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I hurt so bad after my first 2 workouts. Its so much better now. I still get a little sore, but I like that. It reminds me I lifted heavy weights!!!!
  • hark15
    hark15 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I hurt so bad after my first 2 workouts. Its so much better now. I still get a little sore, but I like that. It reminds me I lifted heavy weights!!!!

Ditto to this! I kind of like the sore feeling as a reminder I pushed myself :) Just don't push it if you are actually feeling pain and not just soreness. If you are just sore you can take your pain killer of choice (especially if your soreness makes it hard to sleep at night) drink plenty of water, and get up and walk around a lot to keep your muscles loose! Way to go!