Denny's

Options
I went to Denny's the other night because my boyfriend wanted some pancakes. I knew I wanted an omelette but just wanted to look at the GF menu just to be 110% sure I wasn't eating anything that wasn't GF. I asked the waitress for a gluten free menu and she said "um, I don't think we have that" so then I asked for an allergen menu and she said "oh yeah hunny, of course, let me go get it." Has anyone else had this problem eating out at restaurants?? I usually stick to the same 5 or so places that I know are safe, just because its easier. Its so frustrating to me how many people have no idea what gluten is, especially those that work in restaurants! usually if I say something to the effect of "If I eat wheat then you will have an ambulance here" they get a manager for me. Has anyone else run across people in foodservice who have no clue what gluten is and are less than helpful?

Replies

• MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Oh if I say something like "I'm allergic to wheat." Cause I figure that easier than getting them to really understand, I inevitably get the answer well then only eat white bread, its not whole wheat... People just don't really understand. BTW Denny's puts pancake batter in their omelets to make them more filling or some crap.
  • marie5282
    marie5282 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I don't know about your Denny's...but the ones near me are no where clean enough for me to trust a lack of cross contamination.

I especially "love" the waiters or waitresses who ask me if it's ok to have milk while on a gluten free diet. That's when I say thank you, pay for my drink, and walk out. You need to put your health first, and if someone isn't educated who needs to be, you can try, but who's to say if it makes it back into the kitchen?

Saying that you're allergic to something like wheat leads to sometimes it being better, but that doesn't cover rye, barley, malt, or oats...My best advice is for you to stick with the places you're comfortable with, and maybe email the places that you'd love to have educated GF menus the requirements and the benefits of having a cross contamination free kitchen for the gluten free community.
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I had someone tell me one time I couldn't eat potatoes because they have gluten. I left that restaurant immediately. I didn't have a reaction to the omelette, but its good to know they put pancake batter in them!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I knew iHop did the pancake batter thing but I thought Denny's omelettes were ok.

I agree most servers don't understand gluten free. Usually if you ask for the manager they understand and will make sure your food is safe. As to asking about milk I'm going to guess that is because most of the gluten free diners they see are probably autistic children who are also dairy free. I try to be patient and educate them on the diet. I didn't know much about being gluten free before I had to be.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    A lot of celiacs can't tolerate milk, and a lot of people are on gf/cf diet, so it is nice if the server asks.

As far as potatoes go, sometimes they are floured/battered/deep fried in a shared fryer, so they may not be gluten free. It is worth investigating and asking questions.

I would educate rather than walking out.
  • jillybeanpuff
    Options
    They were mashed potatoes, otherwise I would have understood. I usually stay away from fries/potato skins/wedges because of cross contamination. But I couldn't think of any logical reason why mashed potatoes would have gluten in them.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    They were mashed potatoes, otherwise I would have understood. I usually stay away from fries/potato skins/wedges because of cross contamination. But I couldn't think of any logical reason why mashed potatoes would have gluten in them.

Only thing I can think of is if they were made with broth that had a gluten ingredient in it, but I think that's unlikely.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Im super new to understanding my gluten allergy so it doesn't surprise me that people don't understand what gluten is. I learn new things about it everyday.
  • Micahroni84
    Options
    I think I'm starting to realize i might not be able to eat dairy. Or at least cows milk. I seem to do fine with goat cheeses though.
  • jillybeanpuff
    Options
    I've been GF a little over a year and there are still things I forget about. Malt is probably the worst, that gets me almost every time. A lot of people who have gluten allergies/intolerances also have one to milk/dairy. I believe it is the protein casein that's the problem.
  • Micahroni84
    Options
    Not having fish in chips with malt vinegar is going is going to be so hard for me!
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Who knows!

Here is an example:

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/52896-chilis-potatoes-are-not-gluten-free-anymore/

They may make them from an instant potato brand that is not gf:

http://gluten.lovetoknow.com/Gluten_Free_Cooking_for_Thanksgiving

• jillybeanpuff
    Options
    very good point. I didn't even think about that! I don't eat at Chili's at all. There are quite a few places I just won't eat at because I can make grilled chicken and veggies at home for half the price :)
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I just have to give props to Chipotle. My daughter and I went there last night for the first time since going GF, and when I mentioned we were GF, the server promptly turned around, washed her hands, put on new gloves, and got all new utensils out to serve us so there would be no risk of cross-contamination. Also, according to their website, the only item they serve that's not GF is the flour tortillas. Everything else should be fine.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Please remember...Servers are NOT nutritionists. They are paid 2.00 an hr. So..please..Ive been GF YEARS before this phenomenom has occurred. If you eat out. If you eat outside your house. YOU take a risk. Not the friend or relative or resturant. YOU. The chefs back there are sometimes a dishwasher that worked themselves up. They dont know where their ingredients and spices and such are outsourced. You really thought DENNYS was a good choice..really?
  • jillybeanpuff
    Options
    No, I didn't think it was a good choice. However, that was where my boyfriend wanted to eat and I have eaten there before with no issues. I don't have celiacs and I don't have cross-contamination issues. The point was that I asked for a GF menu and she looked at me like I was crazy.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Shame on the waitress for not even knowing about their allergen listings on their website. I'm sure there is a copy of it in the restaurant they could have shared with you.....

http://dennys.com/files/allergen_sulfites_2012.pdf
  • jillybeanpuff
    Options
    She found the menu for me after I asked for the allergy menu. She just didn't know what gluten was when I asked for a GF menu
  • jbonow1231
    jbonow1231 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think one of the most potentially irksome or offensive questions that I often get when eating out is a variant on the question, "Is this for a diet, or is this a -real- allergy?"

Which, maybe I'm just hyper sensitive while I'm losing weight, and feel that's some kind of "fat poke" but, it is rather bothersome for people to automatically assume it isn't a real problem. I think it bothers sometimes that other allergies are taken far more seriously.

IE - if I told them I had a peanut allergy, I doubt anyone would ask "is that for weight loss?"
  • pdworkman
    Options
    The places that I have been asked variations on "is this an allergy?" then the server was trying to get a feel for how sensitive I was. Is cross-contamination a problem? Airborne? Are we talking anaphylaxis? Vomiting? Rash? If you are willing to give more information on your needs, the server is better able to communicate your needs to the kitchen and help you to pick out an appropriate dish.

I have heard servers/chefs complain about the people who claim to be gluten free, and then are seen sharing the gluteny dishes of their friends. Or claim to be vegetarian and then share a meaty entree with a friend. If you are "only" on a diet, then you might not care that the fries were fried in the same oil as the breaded chicken. Or that the soy sauce has wheat in it. Whatever. If it is "just" a diet, you might not care about the little things, and be more like a low-carb or paleo customer.

I'm not sure if there is a right way for a server to ask such a thing, though. It might have to be on a case-by-case basis. "The fries do not have any gluten ingredients in them, but they are not cooked in a dedicated fryer. Is that okay?" or "The sauce has soy sauce in it, is that okay for you?"
    I think one of the most potentially irksome or offensive questions that I often get when eating out is a variant on the question, "Is this for a diet, or is this a -real- allergy?"

Which, maybe I'm just hyper sensitive while I'm losing weight, and feel that's some kind of "fat poke" but, it is rather bothersome for people to automatically assume it isn't a real problem. I think it bothers sometimes that other allergies are taken far more seriously.

IE - if I told them I had a peanut allergy, I doubt anyone would ask "is that for weight loss?"