BIRTH CONTROL+low carb

Options
Hiya everyone! I'm a high school senior who has always been overweight, and within the past year i've managed to lose about 27 (20 with regain) pounds from a combination of healthy eating/light exercise/stress. I would like to lose another ten from where I am, but I'm well within my "healthy" weight range by now. I'm 5 foot and am struggling to lose it (i wouldn't mind having these ten, but it's literally all right on my stomach. I'm at a healthy weight but i lost it all from my chest, thighs and hips...most of my stomach remains) I want to lose it before heading off to college, i'm sure it's only downhill from there haha, or even before my senior prom and graduation would be nice (plus I'm too involved with school and work to join a sport).

I was also just got put on Lo-Ogestrel (lo-ovral generic) for the first time and am worried I'll gain everything back, even though I've read that low-dose bc isn't so bad/bc doesn't actually cause weight gain etc etc, and I'm also starting it at the holidays....i'm sure I'll gain a little. If I were to low carb on the days surrounding Christmas and into January, and pair it with jumping rope/ power walking/moderate stationary biking for about 30-an hour a day, will i managed to finally rid this tummy fat? i know there will be a natural pooch but i have almost a bit of a beer belly now...

also, my eating is really balanced right now, but kind of high carb and paired with light exercise (jump rope and bike+weight) about 5 times a week. just so you know where i stand.

Thanks!!

Replies

• LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Since you only have about 10 pounds to lose and it's all in your tummy the answer is weight training. Eat well to maintain your weight now and lift weights to strengthen all of your muscles. Work on strengthening your ab and back muscles. You might lose that 10 pounds or the 10 pounds may stay as you add lean muscle. Don't worry about the scale. Use a tape measure to track progress.
  • entropy229
    Options
    I know that everyone's different in their own regards, but I too am on lo-ogestral. I love the low hormones, its great on your skin and its great on your weight. The first month I started taking it, I did notice a little bloat and it was hard for me to get into a routine. After that, when I lost weight via a low carb diet, the only time I felt a little dumpy was the week before my period came. If you keep up with exercise, you probably wont notice it at all.

When you start college, be very careful. Freshman year is when you gain it alllll back (maybe even a little more), unless you keep your self discipline and work out often. Don't be discouraged! Just keep going, eat healthy, work out, you will be fine!
  • adrie315
    adrie315 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    some birth control can have that effect to lower your metabolism some but in the end if your eating right and working out it shouldnt have much effect ... low carb is a great way to loose weight and adding the things you mentioned will kick start it even more.. you will deff lose inches all over
  • SueM86
    SueM86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was told by the nutritionist at my gym that in order to burn off tummy fat you need to do high intensity interval training as that will actually switch on the "tummy fat burning" in your body. Normal cardio turns on the "burn fat from arms and legs" switch in your body. The trouble with high intensity interval training is that it's hard hard work! (Which is why I've yet to follow his advice! doh!)

You basically have to get your heart rate up to that "being chased by a man with a gun and feel like you're about to die" level as he put it which hurts and most people hate doing. We'd much rather jog at a steady pace for an hour than sprint as fast as we can for 15 seconds every minute for about 10-15 minutes - but steady pace cardio will get you fitter but it won't necesarrily burn abdominal fat.

He suggested to me that to start with either sprint uphill for 15 seconds and then walk back down for 45 seconds 10-15 times or on a stationary bike to cycle at a very high level for 15 seconds and then recover at a low level for 45 seconds for 10-15 times. I do it on a stationary bike as I have one at home and I cycle at level 1 for 1 minute and then sprint for 15 seconds at level 10 then recover for 45 seconds - that way I know to always sprint on the minute which keeps it simple. (When I get round to actually doing it that is! It's so silly as it takes only 11 minutes out of your life but I will find every excuse under the sun not to get on that bike as it's such hard work!) Obviously as you get better at it you can increase the number of intervals you do. I read online recently that 15 minutes of high intensity interval training is as effective as an hour on lower intensity training. I'll see if I can find the link to the video that one of the trainers at my gym posted up on this topic if you're interested.

Hopefully you'll be much more dedicated than I am and will actually see results. I will endeavour to get my butt on my bike today!