Starting over w/at least one kid on board

Options
Hello! I had success w/Paleo in the past (lost about 20 pounds or so) but fell off and it's taken me a while to get back on. I recently got my son (10 years old) to sort of get on the bandwagon with me (he is average weight, but would like to help me make healthier choices). I have all sorts of Paleo books (the Paleo Parents book, Well Fed, Mark Sisson's books, Protein Power, Whole 30, Loren Cordains book, Robb Wolfs book, etc.) I just have been struggling with making it family friendly and low cost, as in sometimes we have $60 for a family of 4 for a week of groceries. It seems like a lot of books/recipes reccomend farmers markets etc., but we live in NW Indiana, where it is cold and Farmers markets are only open until Sept/Oct, then they close down for the winter. We do have a little Mexican store w/cheap (but far from organic) produce. I am excited to get going again b/c I know I will think clearer and have more energy. My youngest child (4, very thin) lives on carbs, and I welcome any suggestions for a 4-year old that has a preference for soft foods. His mainstays right now are oatmeal, spaghetti O's, and hamburgers (at least he likes those!) I can get him to eat hard boiled eggs thanks to egg molds I saw through paleo parents, but he doesn't like scrambled or fried. :)

Replies

• hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I have all 3 of my kids doing this with me too, to a certain point. They still eat rice bread/crackers/cereal, but are soy/corn/dairy/ gluten/peanut/legume free.

Have you looked into recipes to make some fun Paleo snacks? My kids love coconut muffins, banana bread and cookies. They love smoothies and applesauce. Will he eat sweet potato? Chicken nuggets (You can make them with coconut flour, or almond flour, or coconut flakes)

This is a good book too, its geared 100% towards kids, while still staying Paleo. http://paleoparents.com/eat-like-a-dinosaur/
  • simpleart1977
    simpleart1977 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! Yes, we have the Eat Like a Dinosaur book! I read the story to my kids, and that is what made my 10-year-old support me. My 4-year-old is kind of in his own little world, though. He will decide he likes one food and eat that until he's sick of it. Right now he refuses to eat anything but spaghetti-o's breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I still have about 4 cans left, so when we run out I'm going to try to convert him to some other things. It's just figuring out what he'll eat. He's weird about texture, and doesn't like to chew. Maybe hard boiled eggs and cantaloupe or something for breakfast....I'll have to make some of the muffins etc... up, I do have a large bag of almond flour I haven't touched yet. Time to do some baking!
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi I know your concern with organics.... we are a family on a budget as well. We live in Canada and have 5 children and another on the way, we for the most part are primal. I don't push my kids they do tend to eat mostly there--my very picky eaters my 4 year old girl will not eat any meat except chicken nuggets and deli ham (she doesn't eat much but it is a start, she will eat each maybe once a week. But she will eat cheese and yougart. She would live on bread alone if allowed.my 7 yr old works nicely in this plan eats meat and fruit.... and my nine and 2 year old eat everything.) My 19yr old chooses convience and fast food over health and it shows, moody, out of shape, because he can't be bothered its to much effort (to come home to eat).
    I figure I make it work the best I can, I shop for value I don't buy organics only, I would rather have more fruit and veg in my house at non organics prices then limit the amount I can get buy buying organics. If organics are with in the smilar price range for sure I will buy.... and here also there are no farmers markets till summer and fall.
    As with grass fed animals I would love to but not at this time, maybe as time goes by and our business increases, we are self employed. Costco is our go to, we buy by the case, if you go to the meat dept, and buy a case it will save you money, initally it costs more buy it is cheaper meat, for example pork tenderloin as their smaller packages cost is $6.59/kg if I buy a case it is $5.00/kg. (prices are close but not exactly, I can't remember the exact numbers) Anyways it will cost $110 for the case of meat, so big cost initally but it lasts a few months. Not every meat you can do this but many even fresh chicken its a smaller discount because it come packaged but it is a little discount. I just come home and repackage it into usable amounts. The case of pork tenderloin comes in 3 vacummed packed bags of 10 tenderloin, I seperate into ziplocs and freeze for or meals.
    Anyways my point is I can lead by example but I don't force anyone in my family to follow, but I choose what comeasinto my house. If I want them to eat better I must provide it. My 4 yr old will eat fruit and yougart for each meal if nothing else, I make up a fruit plate and cheese plate everynight for dinner if nothing else my picky eaters will cheese and fruit and possibly yougart.
  • simpleart1977
    simpleart1977 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I had a membership to Costco, but this time around we got a Sam's club membership. I'll have to go back to Costco. They have more paleo/primal friendly stuff. It sounds like you're doing a good job trying to encourage your kids as much as you can! I think thats what i"m going to have to do is gradually just work my 4-year-old into the paleo thing. He loves anything tomato base so maybe just tomato soup with meatballs in it instead of spaghetti o's might be a good transition. My 10-year-old is commited to being wheat-free (majority of the time...I told him pizza at his buddies house was ok at sleepovers etc) To try and show support for me and to be healthier himself. He's getting into it! I hear you on the just need fruit and veggies in the house w/out worrying about organic just to be able to offer them. Thanks for your response!