Are runners miserable and swimmers jolly ?

Options
I have behaved myself since upsetting the poolies but it is a new month.

My observation is that as you wait to swim at the beach, the swimmers congregate are happy, social and sledge both before and after the swim.

However runners that go past have the most miserable look on their face. They are sullen looking. In need of a decent feed and a heavy dose of personality. I admit I couldnt run out of sight on a dark night but if I could I reckon I'd be miserable.

HAs anyone seen a runner smiling before a run, during a run or after a run ?

Just putting it out there.

Replies

• erika0430
    Options
    Lol! Do you smile while Swimming?
    I have seen runners Smile I think runners are happy people! they just smile after the race and after... at life in general.
    Think about having to smile while out of breath... Even if you have just won the race its hard! I have been a runner and a swimmer...
    Swimming definitly my Fav!!!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    well, i am a runner.. and i think you are right,,, good post, i agree.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I will always be a swimmer first, it's what I'm good at but last summer I did the couch to 5k programme, and yes, running does make me smile, probably more on a nice sunny day than at the moment :). I really don't understand people who would do an exercise they didn't enjoy? What's the point? Find something you do enjoy and if that's not running, then don't do it!
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I think hikers are the happiest! :bigsmile:
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I do smile and even dance when I swim. What? Yeah... I smile when I see some creative funny aqua workout performed by walking swimmers and I dance when nobody s looking - which probably makes some swimmer i didn't t spot smile. Ripple effect.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    To be opposite most people I swim in the winter(indoors) and run in the summer(outdoors). I think you're right. Just before a swim, I chitchat with the other swimmers or lifeguards and I look forward to it more. While I like to run, I don't chit chat with the other runners, I'll smile at someone going the opposite direction but that's it. I think for running I have to prep my brain more first but for a swim you are under the water so I don't have to prep, you're just there.
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think swimmers and runners are just as happy doing their thing. It s if they a re deprived from it that they might turn miserable.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I swim and run (although admittedly I mostly run). I smile all the freakin' time when I run. I think people who see me must think I'm a nutjob between that and my singing along with the iPod.

Lately I've been doing some running in the pool (deep water running). I do not smile when I do this because it is mind-numbingly boring. Worse than a land treadmill. It's excruciating for the brain (but good on the body).

I don't think I smile when I swim. I think I'd drown :bigsmile:
  • LIswimmer51
    Options
    I grew up swimming every day for many years.... Now I run more then I swim, sadly. But hey! I'll make a good triathlete one day. I'm a very happy person! :)
  • erika0430
    Options
    I think you smile when you are doing something you love for sport, hobby and rejuvenation. You smile as long as its for the love of the sport and not because you are forcing yourself or simply just using the sport for exercise
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Swimmers are jolly :smile:
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Of course swimmers are better than runners. This is even a question? ;)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I was a pretty jolly runner until plantar fasciitis took over my runs :cry: But I met a lot of awesome swimmers, and now I'm a jolly swimmer!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am a happy runner and a happy swimmer. :)

I do find that, in general, people are friendlier at the pool than at the gym. Or at least, more extroverted-friendly. But I think that's more a question of social norms, the logistics of lane-sharing, and the increased sense of intimacy bestowed by running around in shiny lycra.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I think there are more swimmers who want or like to swim than there are runners who want or like to run. I mean who chooses to do a physical activity that requires them to wear skimpy "underwear" in public and that burns their eyes, dries out their skin, destroys their hair, and makes their nails brittle unless they really enjoyed doing it? (Raises hand) Me!