Looking at multi-sport GPS watches... Advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• djdube525
    djdube525 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thinking about this more... I'm opting out of the idea of a 910xt (due to cost)...

So debating on between the two options...

FR410 + Garmin 500

or

Garmin 310xt (lower cost) or 910xt

I'm leaning away from the 910xt as it doesn't add a whole heck of a lot above and beyond the 310 from what I can tell aside from tracking laps and form factor. The gps tracking is flaky... hrm is essentially useless for both (unless I'm missing a key feature).

I'd be sold on the 310xt if it wasn't so big... and the fact that it is exacerbated when using the quick release assessory (on wrist).

I just need to close my eyes and pull the trigger... would also wish there was a killer deal on one and or both options.
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, what makes you say the hrm is essentially useless for both, and that the gps tracking if flaky? Honestly I've heard only good reviews about both of these features. In fact dcrainmaker posted the hrm accuracy as one of his pros on the 910xt review. I mean obviously the hrm won't work while swimming.

Since I've got time before my first race, I'm also waiting for a good deal to come along. I've set up alerts on slickdeals.net to let me know when anything comes out for the 910XT or the 310XT. If all else fails dcrainmaker offers a 10% off discount code at clevertraining so since you have all the accessories already the 310XT would be 190.79 w/free shipping and the 910XT would be 359.99 w/free shipping.
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am yet to have an issue with the 910xt and i've had mine since November. HRM is the most accurate one I've used and the GPS is normally picked up in 20-30 seconds. I don't see what's flaky about that. It allows you to customize u[ to four screens with 1-4 data outputs ( 1: HR, Mph, Rpm, Time, 2: Power, HR Zone %, etc...) This is available for each sport. I love having what I want on what screens I want. Makes checking past and current progress very easy.

As for the quick release mount, as I've said earlier, it works very well. No problems there either.

Sounds like you're leaning to the 310. Go with it!
  • djdube525
    Options
    I'm curious, what makes you say the hrm is essentially useless for both, and that the gps tracking if flaky? Honestly I've heard only good reviews about both of these features. In fact dcrainmaker posted the hrm accuracy as one of his pros on the 910xt review. I mean obviously the hrm won't work while swimming.

Sorry I didn't complete my thought... I meant when in water/swimming.

Thanks reminder about the discount code!

Edit 1: I stand corrected on the swimming portion... I was basing the gps tracking being flacky if the device goes underwater, but based on dcrainmaker's review... looks like the 910 has a "smoothing" algorithm to account for any missed data points when the device is underwater.

With that info and the discount code... y'all may have helped make up my mind. :)
  • mleech77
    Options
    Thanks reminder about the discount code!
    No problem, of course I realize now I didn't post it. DCRSAVE10
  • dfquigley
    Options
    Separate devices rated for 8 hours wouldn't work for me, I tend to do ridiculous rides like double centuries etc. with some buddies, so it would die 2/3 or less through. I used to carry my 305 and a buddies, nothing but a pain.

Much better now with the extended battery life.
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Have had the 310xt for several years now w/ no complaints at all. I love the thing.
    Download the garmin software - and I can push my custom workout to my watch as well as pull down the data.
    The 910 is great - but for the extra $$ not worth in IMO. The main thing it does better is track your swimming distance a little more accurate. Again to me not worth the 150 difference.
    Either way you go - get the quick mount - so you can go from your wrist to the bike in a quick twist.

Never had an issue w/ the battery in my 310. I used it for several 6+ hour rides as well as an Ironman.

Good luck,
  • dfquigley
    Options
    The main difference for the 910xt is the pool metrics.

You can set it to say 25m indoor pool and it will track your laps for you, strokes per lap, all sorts of neat stuff.

Many people will pay for a specific swim watch to do all these, but the 910xt has it built in.

A little more than just a bit more water accuracy :p
  • djdube525
    Options
    I ended up going for the 910 for a few reasons...

1) It's a gift... I didn't want to feel as I had "skimped" (selfish reasons/thought process I know)
    2) Ergonomics
    3) Coupon lessoned the "bite" a bit
    4) Since the 910 is newer, I suspect Garmin is more likely to continue upgrading the software a bit longer than the 310
    5) I was tired of reading comparisons - slight compulsion buy

The 310 likely would have fit the bill... but needed to make a decision to ensure it's here by v'day.

I did get the quick release kit... which got me thinking... would this quick release kit work well with the 500? It got me thinking that it would be a cheap way to use my 500 on the run (aside from tucking it in a pocket... which I don't always have)?
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Congrats - I think either one is a good choice.
    Make sure you d.l the garmin training center software (the one that you have do everything on your PC - not the one where it pushes everything online) , It makes creating workouts so much better!

If you mind me asking - what kind of coupon did you have? (something online??)
  • dfquigley
    Options
    I know that with the 310xt the quick release piece is turned 90 degrees from the 500, but is otherwise the same, so I could in theory wear the 500 on my wrist, but I wouldn't be able to read it as easily.

From what I read, it's the same with the 910xt.

It does beg the question, if you've got a 910xt, then why try to wear the 500 on a run? :p
  • djdube525
    Options
    It does beg the question, if you've got a 910xt, then why try to wear the 500 on a run? :p

The 910xt is a present for my wife.
    The 500 is my toy (incidentally... a gift she bought me for my b-day last year). :)
  • djdube525
    Options
    If you mind me asking - what kind of coupon did you have? (something online??)

If you check the 910xt review (actually any review) on DCRAINMAKER, towards the end of his review he puts a link to purchase the item from clevertraining.com... he has a 10% off coupon code (DCRSAVE10) which made it a bit more reasonable (that said.... I could have also used it on the 310xt as well).

Edit 1: Props to mleach77 for pointing the 10% off coupon code at the top of this page
  • dfquigley
    Options

The 910xt is a present for my wife.
    The 500 is my toy (incidentally... a gift she bought me for my b-day last year). :)

Oh ok, that makes sense :p

As long as you don't mind tracking runs with cycling metrics and looking at the display sideways, or just want data :p
  • mleech77
    Options
    As long as you don't mind tracking runs with cycling metrics and looking at the display sideways, or just want data :p
    Ray (DCRainmaker) posted similar when he reviewed the new 510/810. It can be used on the run with the quick release mount. You just have to deal with cycling metrics instead of run metrics.
  • rk2468
    rk2468 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Garmin 910. I upgraded from my Garmin 305 and absolutely love the new one. The cadence sensor and heart rate monitor from the older model are compatible which helps too