How long did it take before you started losing?

Options
Hey guys! I just started my weight loss journey. I want to lose 30 pounds (that number may go down if I start liking what I see before hand, lol). I'm the type that LOVES instant gratification, something that isn't possible for what I'm doing, I know. I'm curious to see how much you've lost, and how long it took you do it! :)

Replies

• LGinSoCal
    LGinSoCal Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I just started my weight loss journey. I want to lose 30 pounds (that number may go down if I start liking what I see before hand, lol). I'm the type that LOVES instant gratification, something that isn't possible for what I'm doing, I know. I'm curious to see how much you've lost, and how long it took you do it! :)

My answer is not fair since I have hypothyroidism but, like, FOREVER! lol It took a long time of building a foundation and finally losing some weight.

So, if I can stick through it through really dim times, you can work through your weakness of instant gratification.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    About 6 weeks this time. It usually takes me 6-8 weeks when trying to lose. The last time I did this I stayed the exact same weight for 8 weeks. I had started lifting again and doing cardio, but not dieting. I lost inches but not weight.

Last time I'd been trying so hard to lose weight and was getting really frustrated. I wanted to lose 5lbs before I went on vacation and had only 8 weeks. I ended up dropping 5lbs while on a 4 day cruise.

I usually retain a lot of water when I first start trying to lose weight. I have a really hard time keeping weight off if I lose it from diet alone, so I need to work out. When I work out my muscles tend to retain a lot of water, so until my body gets used to working out again I usually will stay the same weight, even though I'm losing fat.
  • alessandra513
    alessandra513 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I've been logging my calories and working out for 6 weeks now. I weigh myself once a week and it keeps fluctuating b/w 145 and 150. It's hard to not get discouraged however you have to keep reminding yourself that you're building muscles and prepping your body to lose the weight. This is the time where we need to stick with it and keeping pushing ourselves because that breakthrough is just around the corner.
  • jillybean9881
    jillybean9881 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    There's an expression... it takes you 4 weeks for you to see a change, 8 weeks for your friends to see a change, and 12 weeks for the world to see a change. I think that holds pretty true.
  • Yvette0869
    Options
    I would say that the time it takes to start losing weight will be different for everyone. I checked out the site last year to to see how it counted calories and decided to give it a try almost a week ago and I've lost 2lbs so far my goal is 10-15 pounds. The key is not to give up and we are all here to reach a goal and to motivate one another. Good luck!
  • mhomarie19
    mhomarie19 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same place right now. It felt great at the beginning of my journey when I could lose 2 or even 3 pounds a week. Now I feel like I'm doing even more than I was then and I have not even BUDGED in almost a month and a half.
    I guess my "words of wisdom" to you would be to know yourself and to really feel how much stronger and healthier your body has gotten and take those as your little victories along the way when the scale just doesn't seem to want to cooperate. And know that every day you work towards your goal, whether it be an intense workout, a healthy meal, or just feeling good about yourself, is a victory in itself. You can do it!
  • joolson45
    joolson45 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think the key to remember is that we want the weight to stay off.. and for that to realistically happen it needs to come off slow and steady...also remember if you dont have that much to lose it comes of slower too.. stick with it.. trust the process and it will happen.. and most importantly not come right back on...:)
  • squashyhelen
    squashyhelen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think the key to remember is that we want the weight to stay off.. and for that to realistically happen it needs to come off slow and steady...also remember if you dont have that much to lose it comes of slower too.. stick with it.. trust the process and it will happen.. and most importantly not come right back on...:)

^^ 100% in agreement. Also, my new little obsession is with that body fat % number and that muscle % number.
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I didn't weigh myself my first three weeks. After that, I weigh myself once a week in the mornings, and I noticed weight loss in my forth week.
  • squashyhelen
    squashyhelen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hilarious - I took a little break from insanity, right? Just returned to it again yesterday, and of course the scale increases again. Just like it did when I first started.

Edit - scale has increased, but muscle % has definitely increased as well.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I lost in my first week and have been continuously losing since.. I'm about 8 weeks in and a little over halfway toward meeting my goal. I don't really care about how much I weigh in #/lbs.. I care about lean muscle and body fat.