Introduction

Options
Hi, I just got back from running my dogs at the beach (they ran, I walked) and found this group. I just joined MyFitnessPal and I would really like some friends.

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have three Border Terriers (not collies) and we do many dog sports. Currently I'm on a break from agility until I can get in better shape. My oldest dog is the top pointed Border Terrier in flyball. I also did agility with her and earthdog. Last year, at 14 she got her Veteran Freestyle Dog title from MSDA. She didn't learn heeling until she was 10, then we got our Rally titles, RN to RE, and she started freestyle at age 13.

I also have a 9 year old who likes earthdog, hunting, and nosework and a 2 year old who acts like a wacky puppy, but is willing to try any sport I'm interested in.

Donna
  • javagsd
    Options
    HI - I just sent in my entry form for an Obed. & Rally trial in March - with great hopes because losing the weight has really increased both my energy and the amount of training I put in with my GSD. I'm surprised at how much more motivated I am.
  • btsinmd
    Options
    Good luck! Will you be doing both regular obedience and rally at the trial? How old is your GSD?
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I compete in agility, and to be a better teammate for my Border Collie, I would like to lose some weight. Also, to be healthier!
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - I don't do competitions with my dogs, although we do fun agility every week - to keep fit!

My daughter and I help at a dog training centre and we are in their display team with our two doodles.

During the summer months we do displays at fairs, open days and charity events almost once a fortnight - we are just working out our 2013 routine! Our display team has all breeds of dogs from a yorkie to an irish wolfhound and all shapes and sizes in between, ranging in age from 1 year to 11 years and at any one event we could have between 8 and 20 dogs involved.

We, and the dogs, love it - we would be out with the dogs anyway so what is better than meeting up with other like minded friends and giving our dogs a mental workout as well as a walk! Last year we were involved with charity events that raised over £1500 between them - so we were well pleased.

All the best with your dog events this year - do post and let us know how you are getting on! MA in UK
  • btsinmd
    Options
    Last weekend, we went to our first flyball tournament of 2013. I really am a sedentary person, so flyball tournaments always make me sore and exhausted afterward, but they are fun. Now that my older and better dog is retired, I'm running the bratty one. We did pretty well. He might be the slowest dog on the team, but he's enthusiastic and he does bring the jumps down to 8" for the rest of the dogs. I was very happy that he ran solidly all weekend despite our long break.

What do you do on the display team? Is it synchronized obedience? Rally obedience? Freestyle or Heelwork to Music? Something else? It sounds interesting.
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi again

The display is mainly based on the obedience that we do in the silver and gold classes - but some of it synchronised, some individual. We wear yellow or blue polo shirts and so the display works as two teams. We also have some dogs that do doggie dancing. Once we have our gold certificate we work on all sorts of different options - at the moment I am choreographing a dance to do with Charlie - she is very slow so we need a slow piece of music!! We are hoping that we will have it ready for June!

We also have a 'fun' night where we do agility and occasionally flyball, when we have the right mix of dogs. It's all good fun and some of this goes into some of our displays. It depends upon our brief for the day and how long we get in the arena, the size of the arena and the number and mix of dogs on the day!! Our first event is at the end of April... MA.
  • Mtmrphss
    Mtmrphss Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I own an Australian Koolie/German Coolie mix rescue. We brought him into our family when he was about a year old, and he was very obviously never socialized during those formative puppy years. He is a reactive dog, well on his way to recovery. We currently participate in K9 Nose Work, and just started odor! We’ve got a lot of work ahead of us, but he really is an amazing dog to work with and absolutely loves working.

My goal is to build up his reactivity threshold in order to help him to be comfortable enough to pass CLASS BA and MA, as well as AKC CGC. I am also interested in doing Rally with him eventually. Even if we don’t compete, I think it’ll help him in the end and be a great team building exercise for us.

We are also a military family and moving soon, which kind of makes me sad because we have built such a fantastic working relationship with the trainers where we currently are. However, I look forward to the adventure and finding new opportunities to help my dog be able to function as a happy dog.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    :) just checked this board for the first time in eons. . .I have Borzoi, we do show, coursing, racing, obedience & rally. . tho I've left the showing to my friend/handler due to blowing out both my knees in the last 3 yrs, hoping to get this weight off so I can can get back in the ring