Land on ball of foot (tip toe) or mid foot?

Options
I'm trying to research form because I know mine is terrible. I'm getting conflicting information. Many sources say to land/push off with the front of your foot. Almost like landing in a slight tip toe. Then there are other sites that say proper form is landing with a mid strike. I have flat feet if that makes a difference and I'm on the heavier side. Will mid strike cause too much stress?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I think the ball of foot landing is for experienced runners who are going really fast. I land mid-foot.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I land mid-foot as well. I've heard of the ball of foot landing technique but haven't thought of trying it myself (yet....all things could change in the future).
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I've always heard mid-foot and roll forward and push off your toes.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I land on mid foot. I have tried to modify my run to land on my toes but I don't like it for longer periods. I will do it for short bursts though (I sprint on my toes).
  • ucfbyrd
    Options
    Ok I'm going to try mid foot next week. I just feel like Godzilla crashing down when I attempt mid foot. However when I land on the ball of my foot it only feel good for a bit before I get calf pain.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Go slow. Form will come when you develop the muscles to find it. There's a link to a video about form on here somewhere, you might have to dig down into a discussion to find it though.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I wear zero drop shoes (just got my first pair of barefoots yesterday) and I land on the ball of my foot (the ball, not the toes).
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^which is great, but as the original poster mentioned if you aren't used to it, it'd going to cause some muscle soreness as things adjust to the new shoes.

I have some Vibrams that right now I use for walking and elliptical. I will slowly mix them into the running equation this summer.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I land midfoot. I don't know if it's "right" per se, but I found something on Runner's World that seemed to collaborate that, and I know it feels better when I land midfoot. Case in point: When I start feeling tired, or that my calves hurt, I just keep telling myself to think of clydesdale feet, and run like that.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I repeat a mantra to myself I got from the book Born To Run. Easy, light, smooth, fast. First focus on running easy, then light. Smooth will come pretty quickly if you focus on the first two and fast will take care of itself. Helps keep me focused on not overstriding, landing mid to forefoot and properly cushioning myself.