how to take in 5 g sodium daily?

Options
sam308lbs
sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
I know about broth,bouillon cubes and plain drinking salt with water(yuck!!).Any other inexpensive hassle free way you know about ?

Replies

• SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I find this difficult too! My doc told me to try for 5gs daily because of low blood pressure.

A lot of cheeses have higher amounts, and beef jerky is good too!
  • GloMash710
    GloMash710 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Pickles or pickled condiments, like jalapeños are high in sodium. Another suggestion would be sauces such as buffalo, cholula or sriacha. Also, soy sauce.
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Tofurkey Italian Sausage - good flavor even if texture is not like sausage - 690mg per link with 4 NET carbs per link.

Feast out using bacon.

Did you know that there is even a product called "bacon salt"? Bacon goes so well with breakfast, salads, most meat salads, many meats, and is a great portable snack. Bacon salt could even go on bacon.

Johnsonville Italian sausage - 570 mg per link. Johnsonville anything is high sodium.

Oscar Meyer meats - from hot dogs to l'il smokies. All are very high sodium.

Basically, it sounds like you are somewhat restricted to processed foods (lucky you. Cooking made so much simpler), so check out the processed meats. Don't forget the value of condiments - like mayo, mustard, hot sauce, and the like.

If you put the processed meats in a portable dish - chopped up into chunks or slices - and bring another container of dipping sauces (mayo mixed with mustard, etc), and another of cheese (which I love but have to restrict myself on because of the high sodium) you can make lunch and snacks away from home a breeze and get that sodium count up. (Don't forget the bacon salt to add flavor & sodium to whatever it goes with)

What a lovely problem to have (I think - maybe)
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! i will look into these
  • RecreatingRobyn
    RecreatingRobyn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chicken broth!
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Be careful with pickles, check the ingredients. A LOT of store bought pickles have sugar of some sort as a major ingredient.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Salt

Sauerkraut
    salami
    beef sticks
    pork rinds
    Chinese food
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    Homeopathic Bioplasma assists with electrolyte balance and could assist with Sodium levels. They also have a Sport version that assists with Electrolyte and mineral balance and could help.

http://www.hylands.com/products/Bioplasma-sport.php

NUUN ACTIVE HYDRATION CONTAINS THE FOLLOWING PER TABLET (16 OUNCE DRINK):
    http://nuun.com/

Active Ingredients
    Sodium (carbonates) 360.0 mg
    Potassium (bicarbonate) 100.0 mg
    Magnesium (sulfate) 25.0 mg
    Calcium (carbonate) 12.5 mg
    Vitamin C 19.0 mg
    Vitamin B2 500 mcg

But otherwise, if you are doing keto you should be over salting your food anyway due to varying electrolyte needs also cured meats (often salt cured), sauerkraut ( I make this at home and all it technically is salt and cabbage), same with kimchi. soy sauce/tamari, Hot Sauce like Franks Red Hot, Tapatillo, Cholula , green olives, pickles....

Baccalao (salt cured fish)

Lots of ways once you start looking for it and reading lables....