Dissapointed

CRody44
CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
I had my A1c and lipids run yesterday and am very disappointed in the results. My A1c was 6.1, up from 5.9; Fasting Glucose was 129, up from 120; my cholesterol was 262, up from 202, HDL was 50, up from 39, LDL 186, up from 139; and triglycerides 129, up from 122. The only good things are that my HDL is up11 points and my LDL/HDL ratio is 3.72.

I have been eating low carb, and the vast majority of the time, I have been under 50 grams per day. I have had some medical issues since August resulting in prednisone, insulin, whey protein, tissue building supplements, and absolutely no exercise. I haven’t lost any weight since August. I’m off the prednisone now, but I understand that it may take months for the body to recover from it. I’m off the insulin and back on Metformin and I have stopped the whey protein and tissue building supplements. I can walk now, but only with a cane and I haven’t been cleared to go to the gym yet.

I woke at 1:30 this morning angry and pissed off at myself and had a pity party for about 4 hours and wanted to say Fk it. I kept looking at the cherry pie in the kitchen, but resisted the temptation for a piece for breakfast. I know that I have to keep plugging away because it is my health that I have to improve. I hope that in the next three months, I will stay healthy, continue to heal and maybe my diet and medication will normalize a bit.

Replies

• JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    I would be willing to bet money (and I'm CHEAP!) that you have been a victim of the 3 S's - surgery, steroids and stress.
    Keep the faith and your next results will be much more rewarding.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Hey there-

I'm sorry. I know that any inflations can be... well... deflating. I don't know if this is helpful or not, but... You describe a picture of having to go through a whole lot these last 6 months. You've watched your diet with incredible self-restraint and discipline. You can't move much, Dr's orders, so as hard as it is, you're taking care of yourself by NOT moving. And, your numbers actual show all that effort. They ONLY went up from 5.9 to 6.1. That's still a good number. You know that with stress and sickness BG goes up, and you managed to keep it at pretty safe levels. Good for you! I can honestly say that I really freakin' admire you and that kind of dedication. It's impressive... against all odds:)
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Agreed. Quite the amazing feat, my friend. I sent you a message. Be encouraged.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Crody44,

I don't have much to add to what's already been said other than to offer my thoughts of support as you (will) overcome another very deflating obstacle and experience. I sincererly admire your 94 pound weight loss. That in of itself to me is an amazing accomplishment along with elevating your HDL too! Not an easy accomplishment for some. I'm sure that didn't happen all by itself either. You, yourself made that happen.

The solid, sound advise and support I've seen you give, in the short time I've been here, is in my view, both impressive and admiriable. To be sure, the labs you got back went in a completely different direction than you expected albeit still considered to be really good numbers by many medical professionals in the diabetic community.

One of the many truth's about our condition is, it's fickle!

Please, don't be hard on yourself. You didn't ask for the hands you've been delt.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Thank you all for your words of encouragement and friendship. This group is different from all the rothers because, rather than trying to lose 40 pounds to get into a speedo my March, we are fighting for our lives and are willing to help each other through the rough times with sound advice. I appreciate you all!
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    The only figure I understand in your numbers is the A1C. When I had mine a few months back I made the comment that great 5.7, but, I was disappointed it wasn't 5.5. My Drs response was if they tested the blood again different tester or lab the result would not necessarily be the same. He explained to me that there can be variations in the result.

The differences in your A1C are so small, I wouldn't be too worried, especially after all you've been through these past few months.

We all get "Diabetes Burnout|"; I read a book which helped me. Title aptly enough "Diabetes Burnout" by Polonsky. Check it out, its worth a read.
  • Aussielooser
    Aussielooser Posts: 139 Member
    Hey there-

I'm sorry. I know that any inflations can be... well... deflating. I don't know if this is helpful or not, but... You describe a picture of having to go through a whole lot these last 6 months. You've watched your diet with incredible self-restraint and discipline. You can't move much, Dr's orders, so as hard as it is, you're taking care of yourself by NOT moving. And, your numbers actual show all that effort. They ONLY went up from 5.9 to 6.1. That's still a good number. You know that with stress and sickness BG goes up, and you managed to keep it at pretty safe levels. Good for you! I can honestly say that I really freakin' admire you and that kind of dedication. It's impressive... against all odds:)

I agree with Jessie, your doing a fantastic job- stay strong and know we are always here..
  • mode42
    mode42 Posts: 16 Member
    You have done so well to have lost the weight you have, your 6.1 is very good, you have been unwell your body is recovering give it time, as an asthma suffer I know steriods are not great but you can't work out. I had an operation 4 months ago and due to have another one soon, your body needs to recover that's the most important thing right now, there is a saying "this too shall pass", hold on continue to fight but one day at a time, congrats on not dealing with your feelings with food, you have learnth not to comfort eat when you feel down thats a great victory. You have done well and you are a inspiration when I saw how well you did I thought I had to friend that person, you've not gain any weight since august that's a great achivement, there are things happening that is out of your control, but you can control how you deal with the situation. Hold your head up high you are doing great
  • deeschange
    deeschange Posts: 186 Member
    I concur with all that has been said. You seem to have endured a lot recently and despite that still have pretty good numbers.

I have asthma as well and know that steroids can impact our numbers.....I've gone to see an acupuncturist when chest tightens up or breathing flairs up and it appears that I use the inhaler a lot this than I did in the past.

Stay the course...you really are doing great.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 507 Member
    I know this is hard but don't get down on yourself. It sounds like there were more factors than just diet and exercise that affected your numbers. Some things you can control and others you can't. Your numbers are still fairly good, in spite of the issues you have had to deal with. Keep the faith and continue the course, things will get better again in time. By the way, congratulations for not eating that cherry pie!