discouraged

Options
Its only been a week and i am probably over reacting a bit but I have always been known as the skinny guy, my whole life I have been told "your skinny", "you need to eat more" all sorts of stupid jokes that people think are funny but they really aren't, especially since I am very self-conscious about the whole thing and i have heard the jokes for 20+ years now. so i got on this siute and figured out my RMR and upped my calories by 500 so I am consuming 3330+ calories per day. I have done this for a week now, and was excited to get on the scale to see if i gained a pound in my first week of keeping track, but i lost 1.2 pounds. just a little bit annoying and discouraging. any ideas?

Replies

• dmcassady
    dmcassady Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm experiencing the same thing. Been at it for a week now, eating 500-800 more calories than what is suggested to gain a pound per week. Tomorrow marks one week for me and so far, I have LOST one pound. Down right depressing...BUT alot of people have told me that it does take more time to see results because your body is trying to re-adjust to the different eating habits. Hopefully, that is true, so I am going to try to hang in there!!
  • adamcooke
    Options
    Are you weighing yourself first thing in the morning at the same time ?
    Your weight naturally fluctuates depending on how much water your holding etc.
    Weight yourself as soon as you wake up.
    Been watching the HodgeTwins and they say realistically when bulking you will gain a pound of muscle a MONTH.
    over 12 months thats 12 pounds of muscle. And thats a whole lot of muscle! Slowly but surely
  • jrjchow
    jrjchow Posts: 10
    Options
    Don't be discouraged by seeing your weight drop. Depending on your exercise intensity and foods you consume, you may actually be dropping body fat and/or water weight. If you are not consuming enough protein for your body weight (1-1.5 grams/pound) AND doing strength training, you may be losing muscle. I've gained and lost over the past year but overall have gone up 10 pounds. I've dropped body fat and gained muscle mass gradually. Do some research on sites like bodybuilding.com and cutandshredded.com on nutrition articles.

Stick with it and change/adjust as you go along. Don't give up on yourself!
  • yasavi
    yasavi Posts: 30
    Options
    You guys are not alone. My first week of trying to gain, the number on the scale barely moved. In the past month I gained 3 pounds... BUT I can definitely say that it's not 3 pounds of muscle. I find that bulking is actually harder than cutting so you should definitely continue what you are doing and be patient. I'm excited to see how much I've progressed in 6 months time.
  • RichieMFP
    Options
    Hey, I've always had these problems too and the same in my first couple weeks of a higher calorie diet.
    As some others have posted, it takes time for body to adjust and you will find that you start gaining if you keep at it. Hard I know and I was very dissapointed too in first weeks.
  • Wardnow
    Options
    Realistically everyone's different so that whole 1 pound of muscle a month thing is b.s. you could put on 2 even 3 depends on a lot of variables with a diet plan and supplements you could gain a lot especially for some one with high testosterone. Not trying to call you out or anything i'm just saying I do not believe that's true plus the hodgetwins are just the kings of bro-science just another warning!