Vitamin d

Options
ukgirly01
ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
At Robb wolfs suggestion in the paleo solution, I've started taking vit D. I thought I was going a bit mad as I felt unusually happy after the first few days, mentioned this to my other half who said the same. Well, this is a great side affect!

Replies

• LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of doing this, as it's really hard to get in enough sun where I live most of the year and I'm indoors a lot. Which supplement are you using? I was thinking of picking some up but I have no idea where to start.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting your vitamin D levels tested. I live in the Midwest. And even in the summer (and I was running outside w/o sunscreen 4 times a week) mine are really low. It's hard to know the dose without knowing where your blood levels are.
  • myrnacpagan
    myrnacpagan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just started doing Paleo(2 weeks) but had my vitamin D-hidroxy tested back in December and it was 19.5. It should be higher than 29 in the test range used here in Mexico. I swim outdoors several times a week in the afternoons and live at a high latitude in a place that hardly ever rains...sunny all the time. I started taking GNC's D-3 or the D4(sometimes they do not have the D3). I hope that it will go up...I will have it tested again next year and see.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Had mine tested and I was at 9. Not surprised as I live in the PacNW. But my family takes Vit-D everyday (my hubby was very low too). I got mine from a health food store locally whih has D3 and Flaxseed Oil. You can get just about any brand on Amazon.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I live in MN. I tested at 11 when I first stared supplementing. For the first 6 months, I took around 6000 U per day of D3, now I take 4000 U, and my levels are in the 50's. I take it year round, and I have been much more even-keeled mentally, no swings or issues with seasonal depression, which I have deal with for as long as I can remember.
  • KellyUVA
    KellyUVA Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have taken a Vitamin D supplement for years. I know primal really pushes "tan without getting burned" but my pasty skin doesn't know how to do that. As someone who already had one skin cancer scare, I lather on the sunblock daily and take plently of D supplements.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I live in Massachusetts and will generally suppliment during the winter. In the summer I try to get outdoors enough so that my body is generating it's own.
  • njdoll
    njdoll Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am in NJ and had my tested with my routine blood work last month. It was 37.5 which is not too shabby for winter time. I have stopped using products with sunscreen in them (moisturizers, makeup) during the winter months and try to get out there and walk during the day with a little sun on my skin.

Women might want to check their makeup for SPF. I had forgotten that Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer has an SPF of 25 in it. And those BB creams that are very popular now have sunscreen.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big supporter of taking a lot of vitamins, however, I think vitamin D3 is a must for many of us and in much higher doses that "recommended". Especially during the winter and in northern regions and for anyone who doesn't get very much sun exposure. I live in the Arctic and I'm taking 5000-10,000 iu per day. I've also added K2 and Vitamin A (from cod liver) because I don't think I eat enough foods that contain those vitamins.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I have taken a Vitamin D supplement for years. I know primal really pushes "tan without getting burned" but my pasty skin doesn't know how to do that. As someone who already had one skin cancer scare, I lather on the sunblock daily and take plently of D supplements.

If you are already concerned about skin cancer, I would suggest researching those sunscreens. Putting toxic substances on the skin is even worse than drinking it.

Building up a tan slowly, getting more sun in small amounts, and then covering up with clothing is the best protection. I think diet plays a role in preventing sunburn too. I'm another dead fish white complexion type and I no longer use sunscreens. They are NOT protective and they contain toxic ingredents. (or at least find some that do not contain toxic ingredients.)