Paleo Children??

Options
samkelly89
samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
Hello, I am researching and trying to figure out if Paleo is something I would like to switch my daughter and my diets to. She is 20 months old and allergic to eggs. She really enjoys veggies and fruit so I don't think that will be a problem. She also really really loves fishies and pasta and all the things you can't have while being paleo. Don't get me started with the cheese... the child loves cheese.

Anyway, here is my question for all of you: What kinds of things do you give your kids for breakfast? Right now she loves cereal and oatmeal. And she is allergic to eggs. Thanks for any advice/suggestions!

Replies

• simpleart1977
    simpleart1977 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have you been to the PaleoParents blog? There are a few parenting blogs...theirs, Paleo Mom, and some other ones. I am still trying to figure out stuff for my kids too. Mark's cookbook has some yummy things little ones would probably love like some little berry ball things... maybe some paleo baked goods when she's old enough to eat nuts (24 months? I can't remember anymore!) Yogourt, cream cheese stuffed prunes/dates, sausages cut up w/fruit?
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My kids aren't huge egg fans, but no allergies here. Their breakfasts are:

* a Smoothie made with almond milk, raw eggs, a little liquid stevia, frozen bananas and cocoa powder

and one of these:
    * sausage patties
    * paleo breakfast cookies (http://preppypaleo.blogspot.com/2012/07/paleo-breakfast-cookies.html)
    * pumpkin muffins (my own recipe)
    * banana chocolate chip muffins (from Eat Like a Dinosaur - www.paleoparents.com)

They do NOT appreciate any variation from this routine. LOL

Obviously you'd leave out the eggs in the smoothie, and there are ways to replace the eggs in paleo baked goods but I'm not familiar with them. Paleo parents would be a good resource, as would Spunky Coconut's blog ... they address all kinds of allergens.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    In normal baking you can replace the eggs with a "flax egg", or with something like Ener-G egg replacer, but I don't know if it would work for all Paleo baking. Things like muffins require 6 or more eggs, and I don't think you could replace them all and still have the recipe work out. I don't know what almost flour recipes are like though. (nut allergies here).

Our kids eat muffins, smoothies, bacon, sausage, and lots of eggs. Boiled, fried, omlettes, etc. They also eat rice products - bread and cereal, but I try to keep that at once or twice a week. This morning they had smoothies - OJ, frozen berries and a banana, with some ham on the side. They like muffins (we only use coconut flour) banana bread (again, with coconut flour) and pancake muffins.... we use a mix that does have sugar, but is grain free.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My muffin recipe does call for a lot of eggs, but the breakfast cookie recipe only calls for 1 to 2.
  • samkelly89
    samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! So Helpful =)
  • simpleart1977
    Options
    I just thought of something else for you! A lot of the cookbooks/sites have a morning cereal made of nuts simillar to oatmeal or cream of wheat... one in the Paleo Slow cooker book is made of shredded apples and almond flour slow cooked...you could play with some of those recipes for a Paleo breakfast! Good luck!
  • simpleart1977
    Options
    Ok, I was so excited I just tried it out on my picky picky picky 4-year-old. I made it for myself first. Easy peasy. Put some blanced almond flour in a bowl, added some coconut milk (canned), microwaved it, added a little vanilla cream stevia. Voila breakfast cereal! He saw me eating it and was intrigued. He asked for some of his own! :) Victory! This is the kid who lives on one food at a time until he's sick of it....spaghetti O's, burgers, etc... so it's been a challenge to get Paleo stuff he'll eat. Yay!