Is loading up on carbs once a week okay on Keto?

Options
For the past week I've been on a Keto diet and my net carbs stay under 20 g, and I tested my urine on a KetoStick and got dark colors, showing that there's traces of ketones in their which is great.

I read online that the first two weeks should be strict keto with no cheat meals, etc. BUT after two weeks, is it okay to have a meal or day with more carbs than I'm eating now?

For those of you on Keto, do you have cheat meals once a week or load up on carbs every two weeks?

Please let me know! I am new to this and am eager to learn. Thank you to all that reply.

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I don't. Your body has an immediate reaction to those carbs - you add back weight (yes, mostly water) and get kicked out of ketosis. For me, I just haven't had an occasion that it seemed worth it to me.

After re-reading your post - "is it okay to have a meal or day with more carbs than I'm eating now?". So the answer there is probably more firmly yes. I think for most people, they can have up to 50 g carbs with limited impact.

So I think it all depends on how crazy you get on that cheat day.
  • iDustball
    Options
    I would say no. Here's how I've come to understand it. When your body is in Ketosis, fat stores are going to be your primary source of energy. When you reintroduce carbs back into your system and you're just starting out keto, your body had to break them down separately and restarts itself on using sugar/carbs as fuel.

People that have been in Ketosis for a while usually hop right back into Ketosis after a intended or accidental carb day pretty quickly, but the best practice is to avoid it entirely. Carbs were the main cause for being overweight in the first place, no reason to let them back in.
  • Wingslapped
    Options
    Cyclical Ketogenic Diet is a keto diet with carb loading. From what I understand, if you aren't doing intense workouts, it could be a bad idea.

http://code.reddit.com/wiki/help/faqs/keto#WhatistheCyclicalKetogenicDietRoutineCKD
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It could be ok, depending on your body and how quickly you can get back into Keto. It's different for everyone. Here is a great page to better understand the 3 types and the benefits of Keto plans (CKD, TKD, and SKD): http://www.free-workout-plans-for-busy-people.com/ketogenic-diet-types.html.

Personally I do SKD, because even though I'm 2.5 months into switching to the Keto lifestyle, and 25% to goal, I am just at the beginning of my journey. It took me days to get back into Keto after the holidays, and it just wasn't worth the waiting game for me. However, I've heard of some people, mostly men who can go up to 50g-100g per day and remain in ketosis.

When I get a craving for a cheat (I prefer to call a treat) meal, I've sought out keto-friendly replacements. It's work, but been worth it.

Good luck making the decision that's best for you!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I've been having a 24 hour carb window each week on the advice on my trainer as I'm exercising pretty intensely. It isn't stopping me losing so far but it is still early days.
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There's a new version of keto called Carb Nite where you can eat carbs after 3pm one day a week. I think it is supposed to help with stalling. I might try it out if I plateau.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    That's just Cyclical Keto Dieting. It's really only good if you plateau, and should only be used every 7-10 days or so.