First Dance Song help!

Options
Kevin and I have very different taste in music and need help agreeing on a first dance song. Any ideas??

My top pick is "I Found You" by Alabama Shakes but he is not a fan. Neither of us has really narrowly defined taste in music we just don't tend to agree on anything that we can both dance to (neither of us are very good dancers either...)

What are your first dance songs?

Replies

• Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have not even begun to think about it..haha. We both have vastly different taste in music so it could be tough. I'm more worried about what I am going to walk down the aisle to, because I don't want to do the traditional 'here comes the bride' again.
  • michiganmanda
    michiganmanda Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Our ceremony is outside with no power nearby so I have to get some sort of person playing an instrument for that. Not sure what they're going to be playing there but I foresee it being less of a discussion.
  • rubixcyoob
    Options
    I really like Goo Goo Dolls 'Iris', Metallica 'Nothing Else Matters', Foo Fighters 'Everlong' (but acoustic), Nickleback 'Far Away', Christina Perri 'A Thousand Years' etc. but I'm not too sure h2b will agree with any of them.

I want to steer clear of the over used songs like 'Amazed' by Lonestar etc.
  • nickyeatrunread
    nickyeatrunread Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    We're doing a classic "I just can't help falling in love with you," but covered by Ingrid Michaelson--one of our favorite singers, and also one of our first big dates. We wanted to make sure to pick a classic so there's a good chance of it still being popular years from now and us accidentally hearing it somewhere and smiling. :)
  • lawyerette
    lawyerette Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    At Last (Etta James) = bride and groom (it's our song)

Red Robin (Clark Richard) = Daddy Daughter (thinking about surprising dad with this one)

No idea for Groom Mother...
  • Tandksmommy11
    Options
    I was thinking "I won't give up" by Jason Mraz. He told me once that song reminded him of us while he was 'chasing me'.
  • nailtechbec
    nailtechbec Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    We're having "never tear us apart" the paloma faith version ! Matt chose it I love it ! X
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    "Just a Kiss" by Lady Antebellum.

He picked it.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Not sure of the exact songs yet (maybe "Far Away" from Nickelback, which was our song back when we lived 400 miles apart...but we kinda want a different song now...personally I love "Couldn't Ask for More"- Edwin McCain).

Either way it won't be the whole song...neither of us are huge dancers so our slow song (which we'll probably learn a waltz or something for) will turn into a bad@ss swing dance partway through! :bigsmile:
  • DLSlim
    DLSlim Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    "My Best Friend" by Tim McGraw. We danced to this at his prom oh so many years ago and immediately loved it.
  • Tandksmommy11
    Options
    Moxie42- I love that song too! I love when people do a 'surprise' dance in the middle of their slow dance. Many of them make it to Youtube, pretty fun to watch..haha.
  • michiganmanda
    michiganmanda Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input ladies! My aunt really wants us to have "At Last" but the first time I heard it was on a vacuum commercial so that's what it makes me think of. D*** you Hoover for ruining a beautiful song for me!!

I love Ingrid Michaelson's cover of "Can't help falling in love" but it has been vetoed by the groom...
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My best friend had "You Are the Best Thing" by Ray Lamontagne - very nice and pretty upbeat but still a song you can slow dance to! Give it a listen!
  • lawyerette
    lawyerette Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Haven't seen that commercial, thank goodness. They played the song on the night Cullen proposed. We were on a dinner cruise around Washington, DC, and to my surprise they called us up to the dance floor and announced our engagement to the whole ship before playing us a slow dance. It was "At Last". During the dance, Cullen whispered in my ear "I think this is our song..." So cute.
  • irishgrim
    Options
    We're having "never tear us apart" the paloma faith version ! Matt chose it I love it ! X

i am obsessed with Paloma Faith!
  • kelly_gelinas
    kelly_gelinas Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Amy I was goinng to have I won't give up too. then decided on "sleeping at lasts"-Turning page. We changed our minds a few days ago when we both heard the song "When we fall in" by sean hayes. We are even getting dance lessons so we can have a fun dance to go with it.