Anyone training to run a 5k?

Options
BeckyAndie
BeckyAndie Posts: 39 Member
Hi all, I'm Becky. I'm 35 and getting active for the first time in my adult life. I'm carrying around about 75 lbs. too many, but I'm working on that! I started training to run a 5k a couple of weeks ago and I find that I hate running as much as I always have. BUT, I want to be ABLE to do it.

I'm using an App called Couch-to-5K and it's a great tool for training. At this point (week 3 of 5) I'm not sure I can do it. I'm so out of shape and running is so hard. I know I sound like a whiner today, but I'm not giving up. I could use some encouragement and camaraderie this week.

My courage to try is waning. Anyone else fighting through this mental battle?

Let's cheer each other on!

Replies

• lilwalt99
    lilwalt99 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I too am working on training for a 5K. I'm really not a runner but I'm trying. I try to get in at least 3 sessions on the treadmill each week but I find it hard. Its really boring and I'd rather just go to the workout classes. I was a little over ambitious and I think I'm signed up for 4 5Ks by the end of April. I sense I will be walking at least part of some of those but I'm still going to try.

Do you listen to music while you run? I use the Pandora 80's Cardio station and that seems to make the time go by a little faster.
  • helenld1
    helenld1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm running a 5K this year for Cancer Research. Did it 2 years ago and want to shave time off.

I used coach to 5K and loved it. Although I had to redo the music. Being a rock/metal girl I find I had to change my music up. FUnny how many metal tracks have the right BPM for me :laugh:

I need a kick up the bum cos my motivation had died recently. Plus the weather been a bit off for outdoors running (Snow. Not as bad as many countries have but bad enough for the UK that we lose all sense of everything!!)

I felt like i would never get through it but it does get easier, I promise. As Lilwalt says, get some tunes on and the time flies past.
  • zumbarock
    zumbarock Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, music is key! and the couch to 5k is a great start! It does get easier, even if you can't run the entire way at least you're doing it! That is more than the people sitting on the couch can say :)

Good luck! I have a Sweethearts 5k that I am doing this Saturday with my boyfriend. He is totally encouraging, if you can find a running buddy it is alot easier too!
  • rob32768
    rob32768 Posts: 505
    Options
    I have just committed to do my 1st 5k with my sister at the end of march - regarding music it sounds strange i did one training session ot a mix of the red hot chilli peppers, and my most recent one to a mix of fleetwood mac -funny, but I did better with Fleetwood Mac ...never would have thought so....my goal is to just to be able to the whole race running and not have to stop or walk
  • BeckyAndie
    Options
    Well, we got over a foot of snow here in mid-Michgan last night so there's no outdoor workout today. I planned on going to the gym to work out, but the gym is closed due to weather. Hmmm... I'll have to be creative here at home.

I totally agree that music makes it easier. My running playlist is growing all the time.

My brother, a marathon runner, gave me some running advice recently. He said, "Some people say just do what you can do, slow down and/or walk if you need to in order to finish the race. I totally disagree. When your tired, muscles hurting, and your body says stop, that's when you push through." He said that you get physically and mentally stronger when you don't let your body off the hook. I put his advice to the test this week and I have to say-- it worked! I started to woos out and I heard his words in the back of my mind. I turned the speed back up on the treadmill and pushed through. I feel very proud of myself for that!

Who else is celebrating a victory this week?
  • shelliehb
    shelliehb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    hooray for you!!!!!
  • jaybird110
    jaybird110 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've run two 5ks and one 5mile race. They're great fun! I love doing the special themed ones (we had a Santa Run through downtown at night with Christmas lights along the course and Christmas music playing.)
    Got out of shape and am now retraining for a 5k mud run in April. I can do the mileage but I really need to do strength exercises for the obstacles. Has anyone else done a mud run before? Suggestions on how to train?
  • Kubiastic
    Options
    I have done multiple mud runs. If you go to the tough mudder web page they training plans posted or at least they used to.

Couch to 5K is a great program. Good luck to all on their 5Ks. I am a just finish type of person. After the first, you can start working on running without stopping and shaving time off your next race.
  • hlsc
    hlsc Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I finished couch to 5k a couple of weeks ago and moved on to the post-5k programs (using the NHS podcasts - speed and endurance). I never thought I would get this far, but I think I am going to do my first race next weekend! I ran the 'endurance' podcast - 35 minutes of running and got about 2.7 miles. I figured if I could do that I can make it through a 5k :wink:
  • kendrafox
    kendrafox Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am currently trying to get into the mental to begin running. I plan on participating in a 5K next month. I know I can walk that distance on the elliptical in a little under 45 minutes, but I want to be able to run at least half. My goal is to be able to run the diva 5K in Myrtle Beach in 2014. I am having a hard time finding the motivation to begin running the distance.
  • hlsc
    Options
    kendrafox - Have you checked out the couch to 5k (C25K) program? It's a great interval training program to get you jogging up to 30 minutes straight. I started in early November and am now able to run regularly for 30 minutes (that's usually about 2.5 miles for me). I'm now doing podcasts with stamina and speed training. 30 minutes is still a struggle, but I know I can get through it now!
  • kendrafox
    kendrafox Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    kendrafox - Have you checked out the couch to 5k (C25K) program? It's a great interval training program to get you jogging up to 30 minutes straight. I started in early November and am now able to run regularly for 30 minutes (that's usually about 2.5 miles for me). I'm now doing podcasts with stamina and speed training. 30 minutes is still a struggle, but I know I can get through it now!

I have actually been interested in checking it out. I think I will give it a try.
  • BeckyAndie
    Options
    I started Couch to 5K in January. I run on the treadmill on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I sometimes get frustrated with myself because i HATE running. I just can't wait until the next walking segment comes along. BUT... I'm motivated to do it because I want to be ABLE to run. One of my reoccurring nightmares is that I have to run (somethings chasing me or there's danger of some sort) and I can't run. It's like I'm in slow motion and I can't get any momentum. I've been afraid of it for so long because I just can't breathe.

I found out in the last couple of years that I have asthma. If I use my inhaler before a workout I can make it through it. I can run! What a relief! I still don't like to run, but I like to be able to!

Sometimes it's hard to stay motivated to do something that's so intimidating. That's why I started this thread. It's nice to able to talk to others who are in a similar boat. We can all cheer each other on.

Go team!
  • hlsc
    Options
    Yay! I did my first 5k yesterday. My goals were to finish in under 45 minutes and to not stop running. I did it! Unofficial time was 39:43 and I didn't walk at all :happy: