Insomnia

Options
I have finally started feeling the promised increase in energy (I got the flu right after I started Medifast, which caused me to feel lethargic for about 3 weeks) but now I am having a hard time sleeping. I have always been the one who slept like a baby no matter what, and have never encountered insomnia for more than a night here or there before, so this is weird for me.

Instead of getting 8 to 8-1/2 hours of sleep a night, I'm getting about 6-1/2 hours a night although I'm going to bed in plenty of time for the good night's sleep. I'm just laying in bed awake for the difference now. Has anyone else encountered this with Medifast? Any ideas on what might be causing it or solutions?

Replies

• irisia99
    irisia99 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have not noticed this "side effect". Have you changed your activity level? Perhaps if you're working out in the afternoon/evening, it's keep you up?
  • tgibbons1935
    tgibbons1935 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have a general problem with insomnia every now and then but I haven't noticed anything different with Medifast specifically. It may depend on your activity level or when you may be taking supplements, etc. I do all of my exercising at lunch time because by the time I get home from work, it would be too late. i also eat all of my MF meals at work so I don't eat them later in the evening. I doubt they would affect your energy level, but you never know. Good luck getting it figured out. :smile:
  • marjolycookie
    marjolycookie Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bummer that you are experiencing this! I slept like a pro before Medifast and during. 8+ hours each night, uninterrupted. Has there been another change in your life, or activity level like the others suggested?
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Have you tried some Melatonin? its all natural. It may be just what you need. Or perhaps some Sleepytime tea?
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Melatonin had no effect, and I don't care for the chamomile/sleepytime varieties of tea. The time of day I exercise and/or eat don't seem to be related to the insomnia - I have been mixing the various factors up a bit to see if I can figure it out. If this isn't a common side-effect of Medifast, then I will probably look at other things now. Like stress. I'm buried in stress these days.
  • tgibbons1935
    tgibbons1935 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I sometimes take a Motrin PM when I have insomnia. I don't take it all the time, but every now and then and I only take one. Stress would be a big cause of that. When we used to have a jacuzzi tub at home, I would run a nice hot bath with bubble bath and sit in that for a while and it really relaxes me and then I am out. Other than that, I got nothin! It sucks though and I hope you get some relief soon. :happy:
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I asked my health coach about it, and she said that one of her other clients mentioned the same thing the other day, so she was going to do some digging to see if there is any correlation. I've thought about soaking in a warm bath before bed, maybe I'll try that. Good idea.