Twilight 'Get Off Your Butt' Challenge Feb 10th-17th

Options
surfrgrl1
surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
EDIT....starts Monday the 11th... Had my dates messed up!!!

Happy Sunday all.
I apologize for being AWOL last week. Life, as it happens, got me temporarily sidetracked...work, anniversary and boyfriend's birthday. I don't want to derail our progress or keep us from missing out on fun, thus explaining the reason behind the title of this week's challenge. It could easily read, ' Surf - get off your *kitten*' challenge, :embarassed: but we all have times where we could 'insert name here'! :tongue:

I know some of us have been experiencing the winter blues. Spring is coming, but we have some weather yet to navigate first. Here is a nice short article for you to read on dealing with winter blahs, in case this whole cold weather, lack of daylight business is getting you or someone you know down!

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2012/12/03/5-ways-to-beat-the-winter-blahs/

This week's challenge is:

:smile: Cardio: minimum of 30 minutes / 5 days a week
Tip: Break it up over the day if you need to, take a quick lunchtime walk, do some dancing while fixing dinner or packing lunches, walk in place while watching your favorite tv show, lots of possibilities!

:bigsmile: Butt Work... Glute squeezes. 250 for the week. That equates to 50 X 5 days. These can be done very inconspicuously while driving, standing, setting at work, while reading a book, or even posting on MFP. (I am doing them now, and you didn't even notice!) :laugh: :blushing: Hold some of them and feel the burn.

:drinker: H20 8X8 daily
Tip: add some fresh slices of lemon, lime, or orange slices to your water, making it feel like SUMMER!

:heart: Calories/Nutrition...strive to stay within your net calories and macros daily. Banking is quite acceptable.

:flowerforyou: Daily Sharing and check in... We do better if we report daily, so please stop by and tell us how it went.
Motivation....What have you done this week to get 'off your butt' and do something good for yourself? What did it take to make that happen?

:blushing: Twilight Fun....give us a passage from one of the movies or the books that makes you feel upbeat or 'summery'!

:love: One last thing....when you report in, make a recommendation of one exercise ( say 5 or 10 reps of one thing) that the entire team should do the following day. Lets make it something done indoors so that we can all participate.

Lets get our Butts' in gear ladies!!!
I am writing the weekly goals on a big piece of paper that I see daily so I can stay on track!!!

XXXOOO.
Surf

Replies

• ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    LOVE the new challenge, surf!!! Thanks for being our fearless Twi-leader! :love: :flowerforyou:
  • surfrgrl1
    Options
    LOVE the new challenge, surf!!! Thanks for being our fearless Twi-leader! :love: :flowerforyou:

I am very happy to be your fearless Twi-leader, however I don't know if you would want to follow me! I am directionally challenged and I get lost a lot! Speaking of that...i had the wrong date on our challenge!!! Ha ha ha
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,957 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Although I live in So Cal where winter is a minor inconvenience (goodness we actually have had frost recently), I go back to work this week and will be struggling to get my workouts in.

But I'll certainly be sitting on my backside enough to get the glute squeezes in.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i am in such need of this! here's to restructuring my path and getting off of my own a$s!!!
  • w8sarge
    w8sarge Posts: 3,841 Member
    Options
    How right you are, that title could have my name in it for sure. So I'm in for this challenge.

I sit on my backside way too much of the day, being at home a lot and searching online for work. Depressing!

Thanks for goals to brighten (and tighten) things up!
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Great challenge. I am in!! I will try to check in more regularly.
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    hey, all! one workout down, and it felt damn good. i don't know why i do this to myself - just drop all of my good habits on a whim, because then it's so hard to get them back, even when they feel so good! bleh. but one day at a time, right? i just went for a short jog for the first time in *ages*. it wasn't great, but better then i expected. i made it just over half a mile before i had to rest. i could have walked a bit and kept going, but since i'm just re-starting, i decided to call that good for day one. i think when i'm back up to a full mile with no rest, then i'll start training for distance again. i'm hoping that i will be 5k ready by the time spring rolls around, but that might be a tall order. we'll just have to wait and see. i can't believe that i let myself drop from jogging 4 miles solid to not being able to jog even 1!!! but if i did it once i can do it again.

i don't know about the glute squeezes - i just did some squats with a 45 pound bar and deadlifts with 65 pounds, so my cheeks are feeling pretty used up about now - but they were definitely some glute-focused moves, so i don't feel like i'm cheating too bad. and i'm working on glass 3 of my water for the day.

for my twilight quote, i know the one i want, but i'm too lazy to get the book right now. but i love the scene in the first book where bella falls asleep on the blanket outside because it's actually warm for a change!

happy monday, everyone!
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm ready to go, 99% recovered from the flu & need all the help I can get
  • surfrgrl1
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone!

Staci, so great to hear you got your jog in. You are right, one day at a time! Beforey you know if you will be able to run 4 miles solid again!

:drinker: I made a pact with my cube mate that we would go walk 10 minutes at lunch. Well today was our first and we walked 30 minutes! wooohooo that was terrific feeling. Nice to get that walk in during the daylight! I feel very refreshed to tackle the 4 hours left to work!

HERE IS A CHALLENGE MOVE FOR TOMORROW.--- DO THE LION. This is a yoga move that is great for tense jaw muscles. I'm including a link to the pose, don't be afraid its not some contortionist type move, its actually very funny to do! So you may not want anyone to see you!

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/1705
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone!

Staci, so great to hear you got your jog in. You are right, one day at a time! Beforey you know if you will be able to run 4 miles solid again!

:drinker: I made a pact with my cube mate that we would go walk 10 minutes at lunch. Well today was our first and we walked 30 minutes! wooohooo that was terrific feeling. Nice to get that walk in during the daylight! I feel very refreshed to tackle the 4 hours left to work!

HERE IS A CHALLENGE MOVE FOR TOMORROW.--- DO THE LION. This is a yoga move that is great for tense jaw muscles. I'm including a link to the pose, don't be afraid its not some contortionist type move, its actually very funny to do! So you may not want anyone to see you!

omigosh, the model for that is sort of freaking me out! but i'm going to give it a go (in private) anyways, because how cool would it be to actually ease some of my jaw tension?! i didn't know there was such a thing, so thanks!

and well done to you and your coworker - way to make it happen!
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    I'm ready to go, 99% recovered from the flu & need all the help I can get

boo to the flu and yay for feeling better!
  • 77tes
    Options
    Day 1 -- Monday
    :smile: Cardio: minimum of 30 minutes / 5 days a week -- 1 day of my usual workout.

:bigsmile: Butt Work... Glute squeezes. 250 for the week. Forgot these, but I'll do them while watching Biggest Loser.

:drinker: H20 8x8 -- got it DONE!

:heart: Calories/Nutrition --stayed under today.

:flowerforyou: Daily Sharing and check in... here I am!

:blushing: Twilight Fun....Happy 21st birthday Taylor! This quote is for you :
    He’s being pretty dang pleasant about this; you don’t need to push your luck.

Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 10, p.238

Jake immediately takes advantage of the situation -- Bella is joining the werewolf soiree -- by giving Bella a big bear hug because he is glad to see her but also to purposely thumb his nose at Edward. Of course, Edward started it by kissing Bella pretty passionately (until she is gasping for breath) as he says goodbye. They did this little exchange pretty well in the movie. Each guy is "marking his territory" and telling the other, "She is mine," and pretty much saying he won't fight fair like Edward says after Bella punches Jake a little later in the story. Bella knows what is going on, and reminds Jake that she is there with Edward's okay, and it is foolish of Jake to mock his cooperation. She says, "Don't push your luck," but Jake responds with a laugh, "You can't push what you don't have," admitting that he knows he is

recommendation -- When you can't get around to doing an ab workout, try standing crunches.

[/quote]
  • Shell_7609
    Options
    Cardio: 35 minute walk

Butt Work... 50/250

H20 11 glasses

Calories/Nutrition...I'm below in calories, but over in fat, sodium & sugar, (not good) & over in Vitamins A, C, Calcium & Iron (multivitamin)

Daily Sharing and check in... Here :)

Motivation.... Starting back on my fitorbit plan tomorrow, I want to make the most of the money I spent & reach my goal before my birthday. Seeing progress on the scale this morning, despite several days of 'not caring' about what I ate, justifying it to myself because of not eating much for 3 days because of the flu.

Twilight Fun.... Seeing 'the pretty' (Rob) with the babies in one of the leaked 'behind the scenes' clips from BD2 made me melt ;)

One last thing....well, I'm assigned to do legs & abs tomorrow, so I'll say lunges. I'm to do 3 sets of 15 reps, but even one set would help with leg strength
  • ScarlettVamp
    Options
    Day 1 -- Monday

Cardio: 36/150 - Got off my butt while watching The Biggest Loser on the DVR.

Butt Work... Glute squeezes. 100/250 - Some at my desk and a lot in the car during slow traffic in the rain.

Drinker H20 8x8: Done plus 1!

Calories/Nutrition: Under with a good healthy day. 1st time in a while no binging!

Daily Sharing and check in: Check!

Twilight Fun: Twilight, Chapter 13 - Edward has taken Bella to "the meadow" for the first time. The description of the flowers, the sun, the very air makes me feel like spring is on it's way. And how can we possibly resist Edward in the sun?

"Edward in the sunlight was shocking. I couldn’t get used to it, though I’d been staring at him all afternoon. His skin, white despite the faint flush from yesterday’s hunting trip, literally sparkled, like thousands of tiny diamonds were embedded in the surface."

And Edward singing to himself:
    "Now and then, his lips would move, so fast it looked like they were trembling. But, when I asked, he told me he was singing to himself; it was too low for me to hear."

Exercise Suggestion: While watching television, walk in place and add knee lifts and step ups to get your heart rate up.
  • w8sarge
    w8sarge Posts: 3,841 Member
    Options
    Day 1 - Monday

Cardio 30 minutes, morning circuit, check!

Butt work 50, half during stretch and half in the shower!

Water 8*8, check!

Calories under, just barely, but it's a start!

To get off my back side this afternoon while working on taxes, I took my dog out for a frisbee break! Not much of a workout for me but it was sunny and got me out of the house and kitchen when I otherwise would have snacked.

The Twilight summery feeling I enjoyed was at the graduation party in Eclipse when Jake and his pals show up, warming things up between him and Bella by apologizing (for the kiss and her breaking her hand). Then he gives Bella the wolf charm he made. Then he hears of Victoria's army and says, essentially, "Bring it on. This is what we're here for. It's what we do." Warmth in everything he does!:love:

Recommendation: Rump raises: try the glute squeezes while lying on back with knees bent. Raise just your rump while squeezing cheeks, then lower. Repeat! (Keep head, shoulders on floor throughout.)
  • 77tes
    Options

Is that a mountain lion? Edward and Bella's favorite.:happy:
  • surfrgrl1
    Options
    Check in:

:smile: Cardio: lunch time walk on Monday and Tuesday. 60/150 minutes

:bigsmile: Butt Work... Glute squeezes. 100/250 Did a big portion of them in the car!!!

:drinker: H20 8X8 daily. 5/8 Monday, working on my 8 for Tuesday
    I sliced a fresh lime and put it in the fridg at work so my water would taste better.

:heart: Calories/Nutrition...stayed under both days.

:flowerforyou: Daily Sharing and check in.Motivation....What have you done this week to get 'off your butt' and do something good for yourself? What did it take to make that happen?

Having the walking partner at work is really nice. Today it was gray out, so we walked in the tunnels under the mfg plant. We didn't encounter any big cockroaches or rats, so I think it's pretty safe to walk there. We encountered other walkers in the tunnels.

:blushing: Twilight Fun....give us a passage from one of the movies or the books that makes you feel upbeat or 'summery'!

I liked the part in BD2 where the sun shines and Bella notices it for what may be the very first time, and walks into the direct sunlight peeking thru the trees, and she sparkles. There is summer!!!!

:love: One last thing....when you report in, make a recommendation of one exercise ( say 5 or 10 reps of one thing) that the entire team should do the following day. Lets make it something done indoors so that we can all participate.

I recommended the lion yesterday ( Mountain Lion, yes, Kathy, lets go with that) , and it felt so good that I am recommending that move for the whole week. Amazing how it stretches out those tired and tense necks and jaws!

Looks like everyone is having a successful week. WTG ladies!!!
    I have some exercises that you recommended that I need to go do, like lunges and, knee lifts and standing crunches!
  • surfrgrl1
    Options
    And Edward singing to himself:
    "Now and then, his lips would move, so fast it looked like they were trembling. But, when I asked, he told me he was singing to himself; it was too low for me to hear."

Twi...I absolutely love that part! Simply amazing!
  • ScarlettVamp
    Options
    Day 2 -- Tuesday

Cardio: 36/150 - No workout today. I'm hurting from the glute squeezes I think and I'm absolutely exhausted too.

Butt Work... Glute squeezes. 120/250 - Did 20 at work, but as the day wore on I started hurting and decided to take a break from them.

Drinker H20 8x8: Done plus 1 for the 2nd day in a row.

Calories/Nutrition: Over today because of no workout, but in the green 160 for the week.

Daily Sharing and check in: Check! Check!

Twilight Fun: "Vampires like baseball?" - Bella Swan, Twilight, Chapter 16, p.347. They don't call baseball players the boys of summer for nothing. :wink:

Exercise Suggestion: Get adequate sleep to fuel your day and your workout. I didn't last night, and I'm sore and exhausted.
  • Shell_7609
    Options
    Cardio: 45 minute walk, 25 minutes strength training

Butt Work... 125/250

H20 glasses

Calories/Nutrition...I'm below in calories, but over in saturated fat, & sugar, (not good) & over in Vitamins A, C, Calcium & Iron (multivitamin) , below where I would like to be in fiber too.

Daily Sharing and check in... Here :)

Motivation....hitting 32 pounds this morning, 2.4 down from last tuesday, I want to motivate myself to not be embarassed being on the 'guys side' of the gym
    Twilight Fun...Isle esme :blushing:

Bonus assignment: try to get more sleep!