Something's not clicking...

Options
Hi, I'm 5'4 and 120lbs - last time I had bodyfat measured it was 20.1% per Bodpod, but that has been about a year. I've been eating an average of probably 1500 calories for a while, a year or so. Weekends might be more sloppy (more dessert, more drinking) - diary is open. I don't use a food scale but I log and record everything. I get in about 100g protein, 40g fat, and 150g carbohydrate daily. I work a desk job and I lift weights 3 times per week (heavy lifting, 3 day split, push/pull/legs) and run/walk one or two times per week alternate days.

I'm not really trying to lose weight, but I feel I have been gaining fat and I'd like to nip that in the bud - my belly (I'm 43 years old) is particularly flabby - there's some genetic component there also. I also feel I am not making gains at the gym that I want - I'm stuck at deadlifting 135 and can't seem to do a pullup to save my life (my goal is to do one by the end of Q1 and I AM making progress there, however).

Most of the calculators say my maintenance is about 1700, but I feel that I gain on that. Just wanted to get your take on what I'm eating. My sense is that there's too much eating out and drinking which is impacting my belly fat negatively. :( But I'd love some objectivity from an outside source.

Thanks guys - let me know if you need more info!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Do you log drinks/desserts too when you go out?
    When you say you "feel like you are gaining fat" do you have a means to confirm/quantify this?
  • aliciakay3086
    aliciakay3086 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yes, always log everything.

Nothing quantifiable/concrete on the flab...just tighter clothing and an increase in the bit of stuff that hangs over my waistband. :(
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The issue is not eating out per se, it will be with the inherent problem with logging the meals accurately. With the large estimates when you go out and the fact you do not use a food scale, which I highly encourage (watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY) you may well be eating at 1,700. The only way to get your stomach flatter is to lose BF, and basically, the only way to do the is to eat at a deficit.

So, I am going to suggest that you weigh everything you possibly can to try to get a more accurate idea of your caloric intake. There is not a lot you can do with going out (and I am not going to suggest you stop) but try to be as conservative as possible when logging these meals.

I would also like you to set your caloric intake at 1,400 a week for the next 4 weeks and assess at the end. You protein and fat macros should stay with what you have.

While it is only a 100 calorie cut, the more accurate measuring may well lead to an actual decrease of a couple of hundred.

If you are having issues with this caloric level, either energy levels, gym performance, general super grumpiness or adherence issues, let us know, either on this thread or via PM. In any event, keep us updated.
  • aliciakay3086
    aliciakay3086 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much Sara - I think I too had that nagging feeling that it might have been "portion creep" along with the lack of accuracy in logging when eating out. I think aiming at 1400 for a while is a good idea...paying more attention in general is probably a good idea to nip some bad habits in the bud.

Appreciate your personal response here and in the Message - you guys are great!

I'll check back soon.