Question About Sumo DLs

Options
I have been powerlifting for a hair over 2 months, and 3 weeks ago my trainer suggested I switch to sumo DLs because I'm 5'10" with 36" legs and wide hips. While deadlifting I feel great, and the change in stance has really helped me improve my numbers with good form.

However, the next day my hip joints are really stiff and sore. They feel tweaked (for lack of a better word) - kind of like when you sleep on your neck weird and it's sore the next day. By the end of the day they're feeling much improved, but it takes a couple of days of minimal activity for them to be 100% again.

I'm also doing accessory work to strengthen my adductors and abductors and I stretch my hips regularly.

So my question is, has anyone else experienced anything like this when switching to sumo? Does it get better as your body gets used to it and you get stronger? Any suggestions on how to alleviate some of the soreness?

Replies

• AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    sumo seems harder on the hips. Try strecthing more or foam rolling your IT band (outside of thigh)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    sumo is just hard on the hips. same with wide stance squatting.

as you build your hips up, it should go away. just focus on mobility work and lots of foam rolling.
    The majority of the time that I pull sumo, I do it in briefs because of the problems you're describing. But if you're competing raw you need to find a way to pull without the pain.
  • littlebigsteve
    littlebigsteve Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It is a mechanical advantage to pull sumo ... I however am a conventional puller ... That being said i still do sumo work on the way down as its still a great tool even if you don't compete with it ... Sumo is great for hip streangth I suggest you pull conventional till your done wth working weight be it fives triples or ... Whatever, then at 60 or 70 percent that weight (or less if need be to start) pull 2 sets of ten a week eventually doing 2 sets of 6 ... From there you can decide which one you prefer so or conventional ..... Ps I wrote this on my phone if you want me to clearify anything I could get on a computer and make this easier to understand ..
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Yes, sumo is tougher on the hips and I think you''ll find on you inner thighs as well. Sumo is a good compliment to conventional because sumo is harder to get off the ground but easier to lock-out where conventional is pretty much the opposite. I'm not sure how there's a mechanical advantage to pulling sumo-style as I've never read from anybody that could pull more via sumo than conventional.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    sumo seems harder on the hips. Try strecthing more or foam rolling your IT band (outside of thigh)

This. I roll out after each deadlifting sesh. You could also ask your trainer to stretch you out too. It helps.
  • littlebigsteve
    Options
    i know alot of powerlifters who pull more sumo than conventional ...its an advantage such as arching your back on bench is an advantage its a shortening of the distance between two points, im not knocking it in anyway as i arch my back once a week and flat lighter weight once a week such as i use sumo as a tool but dont compete with it as in North American Strongman Society your not allowed to compete sumo(also only PL conventional pull )....... Ed coan was a better sumo puller than conventional he only switched to conventional to compete after several injury's ...the man was a monster either way
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Your able to use more leg and less back with sumo style. I thought about it because I'm tall but just couldn't convert. I do use a wide stance squat now though. Most of Louie Simmons students use wide stance on squats but not all do sumo deads..@littlebigstev -Great that you're back brotha.
  • littlebigsteve
    Options
    Hey Zilla just got side tracked is all there's a ton of awesome conventional guys out there ...but alot of guys sumo more than they can conventional pull usually this is because they can get more out of sumo dl suits than conventional ....and i agree with you on the tall thing dls are just rough in general on tall guys especially big ones who have to stuff themselves into position ....all that aside since im getting lost in my own rambles everyone is different just read and watch and put in your own work and it'll work out.....i go semi wide on squats...i can still fit in a normal size squat rack like you should be able to ...cant say that for everyone lol ...
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Ive only tried this on the smith machine (because I had no choice - I used to be at PF where the ONLY BARBELL WAS STUCK IN THE SMITH MACHINE) - but Im 5'10 and I have 37.5 inch legs - and Ive been wondering if I could handle doing these. Having my hands closer together scares me because I dont know how good I'll be at balance that way - but I really wanna try.

REALLY

cause if I can have them be my fave when Im chained to the Smith machine, im sure I'd be all over that ish in when Im free.... once I figure out I can do it.
  • littlebigsteve
    Options
    im a little bit lost in what you said......and you have 37.5 inch legs O.o
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I alternate between regular and sumo DL's. Sumo hits more of your hips then traditional DL pulls but I find that reg DL's work more of the lats then sumo does.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the feedback! I really appreciate it. My squats are terrible (but improving!) because I don't have the stabilizing strength yet to be able to get low enough and keep my knees out. However, a wider stance has helped a lot there as well. That being said, I was also having trouble in conventional dead keeping my shoulders behind my knees as I pull, so we switched me to sumo and my form significantly improved (and I stopped grinding the *kitten* out of my shins).

Sounds like I might need to work between conventional and sumo until my hip/ham/glute strength is up to par. And of course keep on the foam rolling!
    Im 5'10 and I have 37.5 inch legs

Daaaaaang. You should definitely give them a shot!
  • yoovie
    Options

Im 5'10 and I have 37.5 inch legs

Daaaaaang. You should definitely give them a shot!

WANNNNNT
  • yoovie
    Options
    I have to put in some time with regular deadlifts for a bit though, til my knee quits acting up and I can get back to the weight I was at this past summer. Seemed easier then, now - ugh, not so much.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Great... now I get to make my wife question my sexuality by watching youtube videos of guys doing sumo DLs so I can get the form right... :D