Newly Diagnosed Type II Diabetic [Needing Support]

KetsyBaby
KetsyBaby Posts: 40 Member
Hello Lovely MFP Folks,

I was recently told by my team of doctors that I have crossed the threshold of "Borderline" Type II Diabetes into actual diabetic sugar levels. I am running at a fasting sugar of 7, and a GlucoHbg of 7.3, which means it has been the sitch for several months at least.

I just went Vegan this year (January 2013), and have already lost 32 pounds, but I know I will need to keep up the diet changes and start to get active if I want to nip this one in the bud.

Since I just got my Accu-Chek monitor this morning, I did a Pre-Lunch BS that was a whopping 9.1 which almost gave me a heart attack, my 2 hr PC Sugar is back to 7.0.

My Blood Pressure is Below Normal, 121/70, and I am Morbidly Obese. I am following a 1800 calorie plan, and trying to get 100g of protein a day from my vegan diet. I am pretty much sedentary, but I do get out when I can, whether permitting, and I do cook my own foods and don't eat a lot of processed food.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas about how I can manage my sugars better? I am a nurse myself, but the one diagnosis and treatment that always baffled me was diabetes. I worked in high risk obstetrics, so I saw mostly gestational diabetes. I am testing my sugars for my own piece of mind really, and trying to get a hold on it before taking any medications, like Metformin or Insulin (g-d forbid). My last fasting sugar, which the doctor based his suggestions on, was done 4 weeks ago, so it may have changed a bit, but I know I have a long way to go before I can get my own body to cover my insulin needs.

Are my sugars as scary as I think they are? Have you managed to reverse Type II Diabetes with diet alone? Help!

Thanks for any comments or suggestions!

:heart: Ketsy :heart: , Vegan x 5 Weeks And Loving It!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9159792.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• psv1012
    psv1012 Posts: 65 Member
    Hi, I was diagnost in august. I have been very lucky with diet and exercise and metformin meds. I found out that exercise is the biggest piece to my puzzle. good luck,feel free to friend me, I am more than happy to share my experience with you :)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,173 Member
    Hi, Ketsy! I was diagnosed T2 in May 2011. I cant comment on your sugar numbers because they are measured differently down here. My fasting sugars currently run in the 90's to 110's. My Dr. said as long as I can keep it under 120, I can stay off the glimeperide, which I took when I was first diagnosed. I still take Metformin, but only because it helps with weight loss. I expect to no longer be taking that after I reach my goal.

I am very careful to keep my sugar numbers in check. I found that even if I kept my carbs low but my sugars were over, my fasting readings were higher. So I am trying much harder to keep my sugars down. However, in order to see how sugars affect you, you need to test your BS after you eat some suspect foods....then you will know. You are already eating more protein and that's good! Sugar free foods have helped me a lot. Also eating fiber rich foods keeps carbs in check. I still have treats but try to keep them as sugarless as possible except for special occasions.

My diary is open. I don't eat as many calories as you but you might get some ideas there. Even if you are sedentary, you can still do upper body exercises....anything will help.

Congratulations on losing the 32 pounds....that's terrific! Continued success!!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Carbohydrates = sugar, so I would eat very few starches and li it the fruit.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Welcome, Ketsy. I started at the same place as you upon diagnosis. A1c of 7.3, FPG of 178, low normal blood pressure and morbidly obese. The single most helpful thing for me was learning to eat to my meter http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

It seems you already used your meter to discover that whatever you had for breakfast that resulted in a 9.1 is probably something that needs to be off your menu for now.

I admit I have no clue how to incorporate carb restriction into a vegan diet. Fruit and grains need to be regarded as "frenemies" to a diabetic and you're going to need to carefully monitor portions to find what works for you.
  • Aussielooser
    Aussielooser Posts: 139 Member
    Welcome to MFP Ketsy, I was diagnosed last July my first A1c was 9.1 and my last one which was 2 weeks ago was a 5- You asked if you can reverse it and the short answer is no- once a diabetic always a diabetic unfortunately but it can be controlled...

I hope you don't mind I have added you as a friend..

Take care and again welcome. :flowerforyou:
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Hello Lovely MFP Folks,

I was recently told by my team of doctors that I have crossed the threshold of "Borderline" Type II Diabetes into actual diabetic sugar levels. I am running at a fasting sugar of 7, and a GlucoHbg of 7.3, which means it has been the sitch for several months at least.

I just went Vegan this year (January 2013), and have already lost 32 pounds, but I know I will need to keep up the diet changes and start to get active if I want to nip this one in the bud.

Since I just got my Accu-Chek monitor this morning, I did a Pre-Lunch BS that was a whopping 9.1 which almost gave me a heart attack, my 2 hr PC Sugar is back to 7.0.

My Blood Pressure is Below Normal, 121/70, and I am Morbidly Obese. I am following a 1800 calorie plan, and trying to get 100g of protein a day from my vegan diet. I am pretty much sedentary, but I do get out when I can, whether permitting, and I do cook my own foods and don't eat a lot of processed food.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas about how I can manage my sugars better? I am a nurse myself, but the one diagnosis and treatment that always baffled me was diabetes. I worked in high risk obstetrics, so I saw mostly gestational diabetes. I am testing my sugars for my own piece of mind really, and trying to get a hold on it before taking any medications, like Metformin or Insulin (g-d forbid). My last fasting sugar, which the doctor based his suggestions on, was done 4 weeks ago, so it may have changed a bit, but I know I have a long way to go before I can get my own body to cover my insulin needs.

Are my sugars as scary as I think they are? Have you managed to reverse Type II Diabetes with diet alone? Help!

Thanks for any comments or suggestions!

:heart: Ketsy :heart: , Vegan x 5 Weeks And Loving It!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    9159792.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Hi, KetsyBaby's:smile:

I've been a type 2 diabetic in the US since 1986. My fasting (FBG) was 13.0 (US) at diagnosis.

There are many knowledgeable members on this board living successfully with T2 diabetes, and eager to help.

Good luck!:smile:

Bob
  • Hello my name is Tammy. My husband has type 2 and I have no clue where to start. We just found out yesterday. Please help. What do I cook, how do I cook? Nervous and confused.
  • psv1012
    psv1012 Posts: 65 Member
    Hi Tammy, Start by counting carbs and going to whole grain as much as possible. The numbers this site set for me are a little low in my doctors opinion,but it has been working for me. Cook low fat,lower carbs, low sugar. Just get use to reading labels and it isn't bad. I love this web site because so many people are in our shoes and have experience to help.
    You are welcome to friend me then you can look at my diary and see what I eat. I have lost 44 pounds since August,and my A1c last check was 5.3 . some days I do better than others. I am not much of a cook,so I look for easy meals.
    Best of luck to you and your husband. This is a serious illness and we all half to fight to get and stay healthy . Pam
  • sabinavaughan
    sabinavaughan Posts: 109 Member
    Hi Ketsy,

I am still learning what affects me...drives me nuts sometimes but you do need to be testing regularly to see what affects you. I started cutting back carbs like bread and such but still have some but can't have any after lunch pretty much. You've got some awesome info from the others so go with it! You can kick its butt and get healthy! Come often let us know how you are doing! :flowerforyou:

Sabina
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Welcome Pammy & Ketsy! Everyone else pretty much said it all. Use your meter to see which foods will spike you and which foods don't.
  • siblita
    siblita Posts: 39 Member
    This website was invaluable when I was newly diagnosed: http://www.bloodsugar101.com/
    Especially the part titled "How to lower your blood sugar" - which is basically "Eat to Your Meter"

I found that a lot of the foods that were supposed to be good for me (whole wheats, etc) actually spiked my blood sugar just as fast as junk food. I now eat low carb/ high fat and have normal blood sugars, no carb cravings, and am on no meds. (was on 3 meds when I was diagnosed). So just trust your meter!