Highlander Games (*NOT* Highland Games!)

Options
KiltFuPanda
KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
Just found out that the North American Highlander Association is setting up shop in NC.

http://www.nahighlander.com/

The idea of competing in the Highlander Games intrigues me - it's a 50/50 blend of highland games and Strongman, so you may get a day of this (this is the Nationals' routine for 2012, with weights for LW (<200 lbs), MW (201-250), and HW (251+, my division)):

Weight over Bar (one handed, standing throw for height): 42, 56, and 56 lbs
Farmer's Walk - 80', 225/245/285 lbs
Braemar Stone (standing shot put): 24 lbs
Log Press for Reps: 200/240/240 lbs
Caber
Atlas Stones (up to 330 for LW, 360 for HW)

I've already been doing farmer's walks with 315, axle push presses of 215 for reps, and I'm already familiar with the highland games events.

This oughta be fun to try, and should be a good way to work into the strongman arena.

Anybody else have any opinions on this?

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    The farmer's walks seem a little on the easy side.

Never done any throwing though, so that stuff looks impossible for me.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The throwing is an interesting change to most weightlifters - since speed and footwork isn't required to make a big pull, that tends to knock new guys down a peg. One event that really hits home is the weight over bar. You may have the strength to snatch 200 lbs, but translating that into a one armed throw for height takes a bit of work because you have to speed up the motion so fast that the weight doesn't just go above your head, but goes 13+ feet in the air.

I've decided that I'm going to enter in the NC games when it starts next year. I'm going to cross-train with a pro strongman competitor - I'll be training him on the highland games events, and he'll train me on the strongman side. So maybe when next year rolls around we'll both hammer through the competition!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a blast. take videos and post your results. definitely interested in seeing how it goes.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'd love to train for this kind of thing one day.
  • littlebigsteve
    littlebigsteve Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    i have trained with these guys on several occasions its a ton of fun .....the traditional farmers are a rock tied up with rope but now they bolt a chain and handle to them so you have a big stone hanging off a handle your carrying way more awkward than a farmers walk we think of today with devices that simulate tractor weights....the ***** pig is tough to get over the bar but i was good at it...the hammer throw i also did well at...the caber toss i could muscle but it takes skill to get it to fly right ...YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE VERY STRONG to compete in these games trust me..i am the strongest out of the group i train with and im not the best at it....the shot put or stone put is very tough for me *kitten* that requires a great deal of experience or dumb luck ...the sheaf toss...and im sorry if im misspelling this is also a ton of fun ...all in all its just a fun thing to do ....go get your slef a sportkilt off sportkilts .com crap i was distracted didnt read this whole thing so nvm all that i wrote