Funny story about a muscle head at the gym

Options
JeffseekingV
JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
Look, I'm no strong man. 45 yo. 175lbs. 5' 7". Nothing special but not bad. (315lb squat for 2-3 reps for ref).

So I'm doing light chest, heavy tris at the gym. If I see someone squating or doing deads I always look over to see how they do. Bigger dude has 315lbs. He did okay. Did a set of 3-4 but only went down about 75%. But in reality, that's how most people that think they are doing a full squat do it. So he left the 315lbs on there and left. Sort of a douche move but whatever.

So over strolls another big dude with a huge upper body. But get this, his legs look like a Kenyan marathon runner. He walks over the bar and inspects the weights. Dude, it's 315lbs, can't you count? He's hanging around the bar making sure that everyone can see him. Like he's going to make a serious effort on it. I go "hmmm, I wonder what he's going to do?". Sure enough, after lingering around it for 5 min, he gets under the bar, walks the weight out and get this.......I swear he doesn't even do a 20% squat. I'm serious. I was like WTF?! He racks the weight and stands there by the bar, again making sure everyone sees him WITH the 315lb set up. What a poser. haha

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i suppose he just doesn't want to get bulky legs. :laugh:
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

At first I wondered whether his 5 minutes of lingering beforehand was just looking around to check nobody was using it (previous guy left weights on it) - I hate it if I leave the squat rack for less than a minute to spot my bf benching or something and someone trys to take the rack!

Him doing a 20% squat though, and standing around after, made it more likely that he just wanted someone to see him "squat" 315. I've seen lots of 20% squats before, hopefully he will learn the benefits soon of at least hitting parallel.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

At first I wondered whether his 5 minutes of lingering beforehand was just looking around to check nobody was using it (previous guy left weights on it) - I hate it if I leave the squat rack for less than a minute to spot my bf benching or something and someone trys to take the rack!

Him doing a 20% squat though, and standing around after, made it more likely that he just wanted someone to see him "squat" 315. I've seen lots of 20% squats before, hopefully he will learn the benefits soon of at least hitting parallel.

Before he went under the bar, he was leaning on the bar and talking to someone else. Like he was in the middle of his routine.

But I know what you mean. I still superset my squats with dumbell shoulder presses so the rack is unattended for minutes at a time. But I squat near closing time so there's not many people or they know who I am. But I offer to share with anyone that needs it
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Meh, at least he got under the weight. That's a start.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I work out at a university rec center I see this daily lol
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Meh, at least he got under the weight. That's a start.

Trust me, he's a poser. Didn't even derack to work up to that weight. lol
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Trust me, he's a poser. Didn't even derack to work up to that weight. lol

Oh I got that, my point was someone willing to pick up the weight (even for show) at least has the chance to stop being such an idiot. I used to 1/4 - 1/2 squat 600+ in high school because I didn't know any better and noone told me how to properly squat until I got a strength coach. I work out in downtown Manhattan now, it gets much (MUCH) worse than that (I'm pretty sure the guy squatting on the bosu ball goes to my gym).

I've only ever been fortunate enough to work out at two proper strength gyms (when I was in college and at the end of HS with a bunch of old timers in central PA). I guess it's really quite sad that I hear about something like that and think 'well it could be a lot worse'.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Maybe he thinking about over head pressing it since his upper body is stronger than his lower. lol
  • littlebigsteve
    littlebigsteve Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    i train in a semi private gym where that stuff is uncommon...but i couldn't tell you how many times in other more commercial style gyms i see this and the guys who talk about there 300 or 315 so on and so forth bench..then struggle with an assisting spotter pulling the bar with like 265 for a beyond ugly forced 3 reps..... then proceed to talk about how they hit 315 for a double last week...
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    That's why I like dead lifts. You simply can't fake it.
  • littlebigsteve
    Options
    -rack pulls- lol guys who pull 4 inches
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Yeah but that's sort of obvious when the bars are over knee high. :)
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    lmao

531619_531870513500291_1591192013_n.jpg

nothing worse than body dysmorphia! Especially on a "lifter"
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    ^Whats worse is he actually thinks he looks good the way he is.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    uh no. I like butts on my man! Gotta have something to grab....

and muscles on the ankles... where's his? , lol.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    -rack pulls- lol guys who pull 4 inches

That all depends upon whether or not they are being used for a real reason, and not to be a wannabe gym hero. KK himself tends to use them in various parts of his training, and I'd defy anyone to say he's faking anything. ;) That being said, his rack pulls are a bit below knee height.

I love deads in all forms, honestly. Deficit pulls, rack pulls, Romanian, stiff legged, sumo, etc.

Also, I've read that quite a lot of top tier powerlifters are big proponents of partials in many lifts. JL is a fan of partial squats (both top position and bottom), Rhino does a lot of partials on bench, and of course what I already mentioned about Konstantin.
  • littlebigsteve
    Options
    yeah, i have to pull 18 at some shows like in the photo, i use rack pulls i wanst saying all rackpulls are wrong infact im doing them this Friday but aside from doing holds or shrugs or just attempting to shock cns or grip work... there comes a point where the bar is too high for no good reason which many gym bros do
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Oh most definitely. Hell, I even set the pins at or below my knees when I am pulling for shrugs. No sense in letting a chance at a little extra back work go to waste. :)
  • katherinepolumbo
    Options
    That's why I like dead lifts. You simply can't fake it.

Totally agree!