got blood results yesterday...? hypo? hashimoto's?

Options
juliebeannn
juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
So, I got blood results back yesterday and i'm totally surprised to see a possible thyroid issue. I've always had a lot of trouble losing weight, but i never suspected that my body might have been the issue.

So here are my symptoms:
-joint pain (this might be another autoimmune issue according to blood work; sent to my rheumatologist)
-mild to extreme fatigue most days
-brain fog
-lose weight at a SNAIL pace
-the last year or so, i'm cold all the time (i used to be hot all the time)
-sleep issues (have trouble falling asleep & don't get restful sleep)
-light headed (room spins a little most the time i stand up from sitting)

My blood work is as follows:
TSH: 1.10
Free T3: 3.9
Free T4: 1.1
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody: 36.1 <II=== this is what raised a flag w/ my GP

Could I have hypothyroidism?

I'm waiting on my dr office to schedule an ultrasound of my thyroid but this is all totally new to me and would like some feedback.

Thanks.

Replies

• islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    So, I got blood results back yesterday and i'm totally surprised to see a possible thyroid issue. I've always had a lot of trouble losing weight, but i never suspected that my body might have been the issue.

So here are my symptoms:
    -joint pain (this might be another autoimmune issue according to blood work; sent to my rheumatologist)

Autoimmune disorders like to travel in packs, and thyroid autoimmune disease (Hashimoto's) really likes to travel with other ones - PCOS, celiac, and arthritis are its favorite traveling buddies.

Joint pain is very much a symptom of hypothyroid though.

So your levels are actually ok, not really that low. BUT - this is a snapshot in time, and these levels might be too low for you.

The TPO antibody test generally means you are positive for Hashimoto's, which is an autoimmune form of hypothyroid. You can have low levels without necessarily having Hashi's, but with your symptoms it sounds likely.

There are things you can do to lower your antibody levels, which will stop their attack on your thyroid. Your free T3 and free T4 should be a bit higher, but because they aren't crazy low you might be able to "fix" this without meds. One of the primary suggestions is going gluten-free - many people find this relieves symptoms within weeks or even days. If you suspect celiac at all, make sure to get tested before going GF as you need gluten in your system daily for a month to get the test.

Anything you can do to help calm down your immune system will help - accupuncture worked well for me, as did yoga and other stress management tools.

Vitamins and minerals: you can have decent free T3 levels, but if you don't have enough Vit D then your body can't actually actually use it and you'll have hypo symptoms. Most N. Americans are seriously deficient in Vit D so I'd go get tested (optimal levels are 60-80, not just 30+). I'd also look at taking a selenium supplment (or just eating 1-2 brazil nuts daily). Probably would also get Vit B12, iron, and ferritin levels tested. Possibly zinc and copper supplements as well.
  • juliebeannn
    Options

So here are my symptoms:

Autoimmune disorders like to travel in packs, and thyroid autoimmune disease (Hashimoto's) really likes to travel with other ones - PCOS, celiac, and arthritis are its favorite traveling buddies.

Joint pain is very much a symptom of hypothyroid though.

So your levels are actually ok, not really that low. BUT - this is a snapshot in time, and these levels might be too low for you.

The TPO antibody test generally means you are positive for Hashimoto's, which is an autoimmune form of hypothyroid. You can have low levels without necessarily having Hashi's, but with your symptoms it sounds likely.

There are things you can do to lower your antibody levels, which will stop their attack on your thyroid. Your free T3 and free T4 should be a bit higher, but because they aren't crazy low you might be able to "fix" this without meds. One of the primary suggestions is going gluten-free - many people find this relieves symptoms within weeks or even days. If you suspect celiac at all, make sure to get tested before going GF as you need gluten in your system daily for a month to get the test.

Anything you can do to help calm down your immune system will help - accupuncture worked well for me, as did yoga and other stress management tools.

Vitamins and minerals: you can have decent free T3 levels, but if you don't have enough Vit D then your body can't actually actually use it and you'll have hypo symptoms. Most N. Americans are seriously deficient in Vit D so I'd go get tested (optimal levels are 60-80, not just 30+). I'd also look at taking a selenium supplment (or just eating 1-2 brazil nuts daily). Probably would also get Vit B12, iron, and ferritin levels tested. Possibly zinc and copper supplements as well.
    Vitamin D: 21.7 LOW
    Vitamin B12: 543 normal
    Ferritin: 44 normal
    Iron: 55 low end of normal

thanks for the info. i'll definitely look into the supplements you suggested!!
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    Vitamin D: 21.7 LOW
    Vitamin B12: 543 normal
    Ferritin: 44 normal
    Iron: 55 low end of normal

thanks for the info. i'll definitely look into the supplements you suggested!!

That's a REALLY low Vit D. I take 4000 IUs to get mine up from 41! Many ladies in your position take 10k IUs daily (under doctors supervision) for a while, to bring it up. It can possibly take months.

Iron - I would most definitely look at a supplement or dietary changes. If you can't get this level up, I would look at getting tested for celiac and/or going gluten-free (testing first, if you plan to do it).
  • juliebeannn
    Options
    That's a REALLY low Vit D. I take 4000 IUs to get mine up from 41! Many ladies in your position take 10k IUs daily (under doctors supervision) for a while, to bring it up. It can possibly take months.

Iron - I would most definitely look at a supplement or dietary changes. If you can't get this level up, I would look at getting tested for celiac and/or going gluten-free (testing first, if you plan to do it).
    yeah. i'm already looking at vit D and iron supplements as we speak. do you have a brand that you could recommend? i'm looking at doctor's best for vitamin D.

I've already pretty much gone gluten-free. i've been doing the paleo/primal way of eating for a few months and my stomach is much happier for it.
  • kristimcb2605
    Options
    Also, if you have a good doctor, he/she should recommend what vitamins to take. Make sure you tell them because it can cause effects on your thyroid and your numbers.

Kristi
    Hashimoto diagnosis 22 years ago.
  • islandmonkey
    Options

yeah. i'm already looking at vit D and iron supplements as we speak. do you have a brand that you could recommend? i'm looking at doctor's best for vitamin D.

I've already pretty much gone gluten-free. i've been doing the paleo/primal way of eating for a few months and my stomach is much happier for it.

I take Thorne D3, and I've heard this one recommended:
    http://www.pureencapsulations.com/itemdy00.asp?t1=vd101

Just make sure that it's D3 and not D2; the brand you're looking at is probably good. Make sure you take magnesium at the same time, for absorption.

I've heard people mention Blood Builders for iron supplements? Or lots of spinach. :)
  • juliebeannn
    Options
    awesome. thank you.
  • aggiejk94
    aggiejk94 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    An excellent iron supplement that doesn't cause constipation and will raise iron levels in two to three weeks rather than a year is Floradix. It is a liquid. I have been very anemic...barely functioning...in the 20's and it raised it in no time. Also, I found that I kept being low in iron because I had a zinc deficiency. When I started taking Zinc, I have been able to maintain a level around 100. Lifesaver!!