Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

New here...battling Candida on and off

Hi my name is Laura. I've was diagnosed with Candida about a year or so ago. My allergist / rheumotologist was the one who found the problem after ruling out a whole bunch of other things. He feels that this is the culprit that has caused so many of my other illnesses. To be honest the list is extensive and I rather not dwell on it. LOL!! I was doing really well at first. He had me on Nystatin and a rather strict diet. His nurse of 25 years was mentoring me through the process. (I come from a small town). Then in July of last year, she suddenly died of a heart attack. The doctor is older, busy and candida is not really an openly discussed condition in my small town. So it's been hard to find someone who really gets what I have. Now I live in Southern California but I also work in Northern California, which is a lot traveling to see my family. Up in the Bay Area, I have been flooded with commercial products against the Candida. I did get most of the books that have been written on this and I belong to The Yeast Diet group on Facebook. So I am little by little devising my own meal plans and trying to get this under control. Being an emotional eater, I am challenged by binges of sugar when things get rough. Besides trying to follow this type of eating plan, I have quite a bit of weight to lose. I am challenged by a broken foot that I wear a boot for and to top it off last night I was in a car accident. I can't drive my car due to the damage.

AND YET...I have great faith in God that He will see me through this. I came to this group to learn from others and I would love to share with others recipes or ideas that I have extracted from the books and sites I have researched. I am aware and very conscious that not all approaches work the same for everyone. I appreciate the feedback. :smile:

Replies

• NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Welcome Laura! Nice to meet you. Welcome to the group. It's not all that active sometimes but I like the support that I'm able to give and receive here.

Don't feed the yeast! :angry: That's what I tell myself lately when I want to reach for sweets or wine. :laugh:

Good luck with your journey. I had a foot problem for awhile that required a boot so I know how much things like that can slow you down. One day at a time though right, just keep at it and every day you'll get a little stronger. Best wishes!
  • HealthyGuerita
    HealthyGuerita Posts: 15 Member
    Thank you for the great welcome!! When I crave the ice cream or sweets, my husband says that's the yeast calling out. He is so right. I was taking chromium picolinate for the sugar cravings. It was actually helping a lot but it caused my acid reflux to act up badly!! So I stopped. I am still researching it some more. I admit I am weak and need the extra help.

I am really happy with the fact that I am learning to cook differently, a variety and delicious meals that don't increase the yeast. At the time, I stay with my sister in Northern Cali and visit my family in Southern Cali once a month for a weekend. It makes things challenging but not impossible.

One day at a time sounds good to me!!!
  • Hi Laura!!

Fellow candida battler here :) feel free to add !! Sugar is evil but it tastes so good!! Keep in mind that after a while, when you do follow your strict diet, that you'll feel so much better and happier that you won't want to revert to old habits, I eat a higher-protein based diet which in return cuts down my sweet cravings significantly. There's Stevia that you can use to sweeten things, it doesn't affect your candida :-) its my savior atm!
  • HealthyGuerita
    HealthyGuerita Posts: 15 Member
    My apologies for not having responded earlier. I have been so busy with work, school and traveling to see my family. I do use stevia and you are SO right, it is a life saver. I am having to cut out sugar due to my blood sugars being out of control too. I just had a glucose intolerance test and next Thursday I will find out the results. I am hoping that by changing my diet I can still stay off meds. This is actually a good thing for the anti-Candida battle. When you say higher-protein based diet, what does that consist of?
    Thank you for the warm welcome and hope to hear from you again.
    Laura

Hi Laura!!

Fellow candida battler here :) feel free to add !! Sugar is evil but it tastes so good!! Keep in mind that after a while, when you do follow your strict diet, that you'll feel so much better and happier that you won't want to revert to old habits, I eat a higher-protein based diet which in return cuts down my sweet cravings significantly. There's Stevia that you can use to sweeten things, it doesn't affect your candida :-) its my savior atm!
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    For me high protein implies more sources of high quality protein.. lean poultry and fish, eggs, some lean red meats too in moderation. Almost half the plate should be protein. And also; one most people overlook = getting a variety of a lot of different types of vegetables which gives some high quality protein also.
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Mold/Yeast Control Dietary Approaches
    Topic: New here...battling Candida on and off
    BUMP