Can someone convince me I should eat my liquid breakfast?

Options
Fredrigo
Fredrigo Posts: 134 Member
So I started the liquid pre-op diet yesterday and I was famished as soon as I drank my breakfast shake I'd not had hunger pangs to rival for years. Finally I had my lunch shake and things were fine for the rest of the day.

Today I've decided not to have my first shake until I'm actually hungry. I've gone for a run, cleaned the house for 2 hours, I've been up for 5 hrs and it's going on 15 hrs since my last meal. I'm just now starting to feel like I'd like to eat something.

Based on this I'm going to hold off on my morning shake until I'm hungry and ignore the whole "have breakfast within 2 hrs" advice. If I had to go through what I felt yesterday for 13 more days I don't think I'll have the willpower to follow the diet.

Any similar experiences?

Replies

• stephanielindsey
    Options
    I say, do what works for you, that is the biggest key to success! Good luck on the pre-op diet and on your surgery.
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    To be honest, I didn't drink all of the shakes I was supposed to pre-op. If I wasn't hungry, I didn't drink them. Luckily, I didn't get shaky or sick or anything like that. Post-op, however, it's not an option...gotta get that protein in to heal!!!
  • cakelady69
    Options
    I agree with others, do what works for you. Just make sure you are drinking though. You need to get in your liquids. It gets easier, I'm on day 6 of mine.
  • Fredrigo
    Options
    So far today has been cake compared to yesterday. I drank my first shake a little after noon and I'm having my 2nd one now 4 hrs later again only mildly hungry and not expecting to have any problems with a balanced dinner. (I'm thinking Chinese since it will be awhile after surgery before I can have it again).
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    So far today has been cake compared to yesterday. I drank my first shake a little after noon and I'm having my 2nd one now 4 hrs later again only mildly hungry and not expecting to have any problems with a balanced dinner. (I'm thinking Chinese since it will be awhile after surgery before I can have it again).

WOW Chinese food on your pre-op? That is alot of latitude. My pre-op only allows for 1 small meal of 2oz of protein and some steamed or fresh non starchy veg. My doc said if the pre-op is not followed precisely, he will be able to tell when he has a look at how much your liver has shrunk. He said he has opened and closed up folks because they did not follow the rules. That put the fear of god into me, I have come too far to get all the way to surgery and not be able to get it done.
  • 130down
    130down Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I really can't comment as I didn't have a liquid pre op diet. Mine was the same as my 6 month pre for surgery diet. 3 oz protein, 1 cp vegies and 1 fruit for each meal.

I do agree that you need to do what ever works for you as long as it is inline with your Dr's requests.
  • Fredrigo
    Options
    My pre-op diet is just diet shakes for breakfast and lunch and a light balanced dinner. So far I've been having 1 shake midday and then a light dinner which is leaving me feeling fine but bringing in just less than 1200 calories so I was going to call my nutritionist to see if that's okay.
  • stephanielindsey
    Options
    The reality is, you are probably not going to hit 1200 calories again for quite a while.
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options

WOW Chinese food on your pre-op? That is alot of latitude. My pre-op only allows for 1 small meal of 2oz of protein and some steamed or fresh non starchy veg. My doc said if the pre-op is not followed precisely, he will be able to tell when he has a look at how much your liver has shrunk. He said he has opened and closed up folks because they did not follow the rules. That put the fear of god into me, I have come too far to get all the way to surgery and not be able to get it done.

LOL! My doctor was the same about the guidelines for what I could eat. If my liver didn't shrink, I wasn't having the surgery! I was allowed two protein shakes and a green salad with three ounces of lean protein and three crackers. That was it!
  • mandynsnuf
    mandynsnuf Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You can do it! It is by far the hardest part !!!
  • Fredrigo
    Options
    The reality is, you are probably not going to hit 1200 calories again for quite a while.

Well then I'll stop worrying about it and just plan my meals to hit the protein goal.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options

Well then I'll stop worrying about it and just plan my meals to hit the protein goal.

What has worked for me is planning a daily protein goal, and having a calorie target within the protein goal. If I do both of those things successfully, I don't worry about anything else. Everything else, carbs, sugar, sodium, etc, may fluctuate daily, but weekly and monthly fall into place.
  • Fredrigo
    Options

What has worked for me is planning a daily protein goal, and having a calorie target within the protein goal. If I do both of those things successfully, I don't worry about anything else. Everything else, carbs, sugar, sodium, etc, may fluctuate daily, but weekly and monthly fall into place.

So what was your calorie goal?
  • arnfolly
    arnfolly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Eating the liquid meals before surgery is important, because what the surgeon did nto tell you is this; they need ROOM to manuever around inside there. when you fast, it causes the liver to shrink slightly, giving them more room. :) this is important to assist in the surgery itself and recovery for you after. I know it is hard, but YOU CAN DO IT. Remember after your surgery, you will be on a liquid then a soft diet, so this also prepares you for the struggles physically and mentally during the first few months after your surgery. I am 2 1/2 years post bypass and have lost 105# and am still losing! This is a big step, but stay committed! :)
  • Fredrigo
    Options
    I understand the reason for the pre op diet is to shrink my liver by reducing my fat and complex sugar intake. I'm just interested in whether that means I should be getting less than the 1200. I'm not overly hungry so I don't think I'm in starvation mode but if you check my diary I've been having to add high protein snacks to my final meal to hit my protein goal in grams.

I've been losing about 2 lbs a day on average since I started this pre-op diet so I assume my liver is shrinking.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    In that pre0op diet phase just do whatever works for you. That two weeks goes by pretty quick, believe me and it gets easier as the days go by. Dont worry too much about calories right now. Its going to be quite awhile before you are anywhere close to 1200 calories. The thing to worry about now is protein and staying hydrated. That is for now and after surgery. On the 2 week preop diet I lost somewhere around 15 pounds I think.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I understand the reason for the pre op diet is to shrink my liver by reducing my fat and complex sugar intake. I'm just interested in whether that means I should be getting less than the 1200. I'm not overly hungry so I don't think I'm in starvation mode but if you check my diary I've been having to add high protein snacks to my final meal to hit my protein goal in grams.

I've been losing about 2 lbs a day on average since I started this pre-op diet so I assume my liver is shrinking.

And forget about starvation mode. It does not exist for anyone needing weight loss surgery. It is not a factor for any man until they reach about five percent body fat, and about twelve percent for women.

If you lose a lot of weight, steadily, about five months in your weight loss may slow, but because of edema, not starvation mode. If you eat at a deficit, you will continue to burn fat. Continue eating at 1200 calories, and you will not starve, or enter the mythical starvation mode.
  • smokeywolf57
    Options
    my pre-op diet was limited to 600 calories a day and that was so hard but the SF popsicles and jello made it easier