Setting weekly goals

Options
merguson
merguson Posts: 281 Member
Well...I weigh in on Fridays and I didn't lose a thing. :( I've cut down my red wine this week (I usually had a glass a night) and I was on the treadmill everyday since Sunday. It's a little depressing. But I will keep chugging anyways. This weeks goals are:
~no wine during the week (M-F)
~cut down on night time eating (I think this is where I went wrong this week)
~drnik at least 3 cups of water a day. (I know, no where close to what I should have but I gotta start somewhere.)

Anyone else want to join me and set some goals for the week? Maybe make a weekly challenge?

Replies

• ninapp22
    Options
    I just re-joined MFP. So these are my goals:
    *get up at 6:15 and use jog on the treadmill for 20 min. I must go at a speen of 5 for at least 5 minutes.
    *treadmill again at night for another 20 min.
    *log all the food I eat.
    *eat smaller portions.

I HAVE to stick to this.
  • kmcgaw
    kmcgaw Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Great idea. Sometimes when we set our goals too long-term, it's easier to try harder 'next week'. Weekly goals are perfect. Since I am still getting over a nasty cold, I haven't been as active in the past week. Next week I will get back to business.

*Get up with Jillian m-f for 30 day shred
    *Ski 3 evenings.
    *Skate 3 times
    *Stay on track with my cleanse until Friday.
    *Saturday-celebrate a successful week with a glass of wine (or two!)
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    dont mean to be a smartass but if you are on the treadmill every day, and have a hard time drnking more than 3 glasses of water, your body must be clinging onto those three glasses like crazy. my suspicion is that if you up your water like crazy 8 glasses, your weight will start dropping...

my minigoal for next week is 2 runs and 2 circuit training workouts....
  • merguson
    Options
    dont mean to be a smartass but if you are on the treadmill every day, and have a hard time drnking more than 3 glasses of water, your body must be clinging onto those three glasses like crazy. my suspicion is that if you up your water like crazy 8 glasses, your weight will start dropping...

my minigoal for next week is 2 runs and 2 circuit training workouts....

You could be on to something. I know I need to drink more water, but that's never been an easy thing for me. I do drink plain green tea all day at work. (No sugar, no milk, nothing) And I do drink some water while working out. I know I need more than 3 glasses a day, but ... baby steps. :)
  • merguson
    Options
    So far, so good. It's been a great week. I've upped my water intake, slightly, had no wine this week and I've been on the treadmill everyday! I'm feeling pretty good about myself right now. I think setting goals is good for me. I slipped a little and had a cookie and a rice krispie square that put me over my calories last night. (And yes, I ate at night, but that's been my only slip up this week) But I really really really wanted to polish off the rest of that cookie bag. My thoughts were that if I ate them they'd be gone and I'd be good for the rest of week. BUT, I pulled through and stopped eating. So tonight, I'll give a few to the kids and be done with them. Hope everyone else is having a great week so far. Happy Hump day!
  • detroitcupcake
    detroitcupcake Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    dont worry,that plain green tea is in fact water with a lil bag of herbs added so be happy! adding a teabag doesnt magically stop the nature of what youre drinking,unlike chemical and sugar filled beverages like soda etc
  • sarahthecamper
    sarahthecamper Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm late to the party but I like the weekly goal thought:

I'm going out of town with girlfriends, so mine are a little weird...

~Ski or snowshoe twice on Sat
    ~Forgo dessert
    ~Bring healthy snacks and avoid the Gardettos
    ~Drink all my water!
    ~Follow my exercise plan

What day is zero day, as in post-the-goal day? I weigh myself nearly every day (I know, I know) so there's no specific day for me.
  • merguson
    Options
    I'm late to the party but I like the weekly goal thought:

I'm going out of town with girlfriends, so mine are a little weird...

~Ski or snowshoe twice on Sat
    ~Forgo dessert
    ~Bring healthy snacks and avoid the Gardettos
    ~Drink all my water!
    ~Follow my exercise plan

What day is zero day, as in post-the-goal day? I weigh myself nearly every day (I know, I know) so there's no specific day for me.

I like to make my goals on Monday, to make it through the work weekand start off fresh. My weigh in day is Friday though. You can pick whatever day you want. I like to write it down, and thought that if I wrote it down on the boards I might be more apt to follow through. A little support always helps. :smile: I weigh myself every day too. Except Thursdays, I don't why, I guess I'm just hoping for a little bit of a surprise, when my actual weigh in day comes. Fridays are the day that I actually log my weight into MFP.
  • kmcgaw
    Options
    It's Thursday and I'm still on track with my cleanse. (1 more day!!) I definitely overshot my goals for the week and decided not to do 30 day shred this week in the mornings. The lower energy from the cleanse combined with how hard it is to get up after skiing the night before pretty much took that off the table. I should hit my ski goals and if I include the weekend, will definitely hit my skating goals. The most important thing is that I have moved my body everyday this week and stay committed to finishing the 12 day herbal de-tox. I'm already starting to think about next week's goal.
  • merguson
    Options
    Ok....so a little (a lot) disappointed with my weigh in this morning. :( I was down at least 2 pounds on Wed morning but today, my actual weigh in day, I was only down .4 pounds. It's really bothering me. I'm not sure what happen between now and then. I know there has been some progress, because my clothes are fitting so much better this week. So I've decided to take my measurements and see what kind of progress I make with those in a month. So...for now, I'll just keep chugging along, eating right and exercising. After all, it really is about being healthy.
  • kmcgaw
    Options
    I learned alot from my 12 day cleanse. Most importantly, to keep an eye on that nasty sodium level. When you eat foods high in sodium, the body works hard to burn off all that salt and sugar and can't concentrate on burning off the fat. Lower your sodium and you should see better results. This has been the factor that I notice, as I go back through my food logs that seems to make the most sense. When my sodium is below 500-800mg, the scales move. My goal this week is to maintain as low a sodium level as possible while making my calories count. I am trying not to be so focused on the calorie amount in food, but how that food works for my body. i.e. avocados are high in calories but low in sodium, so it is better choice than a low calorie, pre-packaged item.

This week:
    Ski 3 days
    Skate 2 days
    Run 1 day
    No wine until Saturday.
  • rvfamily4
    Options
    Great idea to make weekly goals...
    Today is Monday so I will set my goals for this week.
    * I will pull out the food scale and actually pay more attention to the weights of things
    * Try to add one more day of exercise to my week.
    * Add something positive to the week- flowers, call a friend, craft project
    * Date night with my husband
  • KSfitgal
    KSfitgal Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ok....so a little (a lot) disappointed with my weigh in this morning. :( I was down at least 2 pounds on Wed morning but today, my actual weigh in day, I was only down .4 pounds. It's really bothering me. I'm not sure what happen between now and then. I know there has been some progress, because my clothes are fitting so much better this week. So I've decided to take my measurements and see what kind of progress I make with those in a month. So...for now, I'll just keep chugging along, eating right and exercising. After all, it really is about being healthy.

Remember - not all successes are shown on the scale. You HAVE to - it is imperative that you count the NSV (Non Scale Victories)! They do matter. Maybe you have hit a plateau, but in a few days, or weeks even suddenly you'll see a drop. Remember to keep yourself well hydrated. Caffeine free soda, flavored sugar free water, tea. Also, make sure you are getting enough calories. If you burn consistently way more calories than you take in, then your body will hold on to things because it doesn't want to starve. I know it makes sense to zero out calories you consume, but it doesn't always work that way in a positive manner. Keep up the good work!!
  • merguson
    Options
    Thankyou for your kind words. I'm pushing forward. I've up my running time on treadmill and I'm desperately trying to stay within my calorie allowance and yes, I'm eating my exercise calories. We'll see what happens over the next couple of weeks. If I continure to stay the same I may have to stop eating those exercise calories. A couple of years ago, I lost 40 pounds with the help of MFP and I didn't eat those extra calories. So this was a trial thing. I'll give it a couple more weeks. :)
  • sarahthecamper
    sarahthecamper Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I learned alot from my 12 day cleanse. Most importantly, to keep an eye on that nasty sodium level. When you eat foods high in sodium, the body works hard to burn off all that salt and sugar and can't concentrate on burning off the fat. Lower your sodium and you should see better results. This has been the factor that I notice, as I go back through my food logs that seems to make the most sense. When my sodium is below 500-800mg, the scales move. My goal this week is to maintain as low a sodium level as possible while making my calories count. I am trying not to be so focused on the calorie amount in food, but how that food works for my body. i.e. avocados are high in calories but low in sodium, so it is better choice than a low calorie, pre-packaged item.

But salt is so GOOD! Is the body indeed working to "burn off that salt" or does it just make the body retain water? I'm fine with having a few extra pounds of water if my food tastes good. I can avoid sugar all year long but salt-free? No way. Does it really make that much difference?
  • vickster1122
    vickster1122 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    getting a late start
    Work out every morning at 5:15
    log all my food
    drink 8 glasses of water
  • kmcgaw
    Options

But salt is so GOOD! Is the body indeed working to "burn off that salt" or does it just make the body retain water? I'm fine with having a few extra pounds of water if my food tastes good. I can avoid sugar all year long but salt-free? No way. Does it really make that much difference?

It seems to affect me and I think it's all about balance. If I'm having anything high in sodium, I just make sure I drink more than enough water. It's not good for your heart either, so I figure it's worth cutting down on. Everything in moderation...
  • merguson
    Options
    Well...I did it! I had a loss this week! Apx 2lb loss and my weigh in day is the very same day of that wonderful time of the month! So I'm hoping for more loss next week.

For the up-coming week my goals are:

~ to drink 8c of water a day
    ~ to run at least 20 min on the treadmill every day
    ~ give my yoga dvd a chance
  • kmcgaw
    Options
    This week my goals are to drop the 2.5 lbs. I gained over the long weekend of indulgence.

-Ski 3 times
    -Skate 2 times
    -Eat as clean as possible.