Adding T3 to Synthroid, Opinions???

Options
aud085
aud085 Posts: 23 Member
Hi. I am having so much trouble losing weight, my Endo said that she would give me T3 if I wanted it, however then she made all these comments about how people get rapid heart beats, etc... so now I just dont know if its worth sacrificing feeling normal and good just for weight loss.

I run 2-3 miles every other day, I go to the gym to lift weights for 1/2 3 times a week and I try to keep my calories as low as I can, most time under the recommended 1200 because I heard Hypo's only burn about 800 calories a day.

Thanks for any input

Aud

Replies

• islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't take T3 for weight loss - you should take T3 if your body needs it.

Did she do a free T3 test? What were the results?
  • ginnylee75
    ginnylee75 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am having so much trouble losing weight, my Endo said that she would give me T3 if I wanted it, however then she made all these comments about how people get rapid heart beats, etc... so now I just dont know if its worth sacrificing feeling normal and good just for weight loss.

I run 2-3 miles every other day, I go to the gym to lift weights for 1/2 3 times a week and I try to keep my calories as low as I can, most time under the recommended 1200 because I heard Hypo's only burn about 800 calories a day.

Thanks for any input

Aud

I agree with islandmonkey,. My Endo didn't want to give me anymore T4, (I take Armour) so he gave me T3 to take around one in the afternoon. However, I wasn't feeling the best I could and that's why he gave me the T3. I wouldn't take additional just to lose weight. Just like we don't take diet pills as they aren't good for us. I don't have rapid heart beats but my Endo did let me know about possible side effects of additional T3. You might want to check out http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com Tons of great info on that sight. Hang in there. Takes time to get the thyroid optimal.

Ginny:flowerforyou:
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    T3 (Cytomel) added to your regimen will probably help you to see results; HOWEVER, it is expensive...and I've seen negative results occur when someone that I know personally tried to come off of it...(I have a friend that is trying to stop taking it gradually but has become toxic...and swells badly...even her head :( ) If you are unsure that your body is getting all the hormone therapy it needs, perhaps consider switching to Armour Thyroid? Armour is all natural T1,T2,T3 & T4. :) Can't go wrong there. :) I switched from Synthroid (synthetic T4 only drug) to Armour, and I've experienced amazing, wonderful, results. Of course, everyone is different, and what works for me may not work for you. Discuss this with your doctor...I don't know why, perhaps big pharmaceutical companies have something to do with it, but there are many doctor's that are reluctant to prescribe Armour...maybe because it works? :( If I were you, I would try it first though...put your foot down and demand to be allowed to at least try it (the Armour). Also, as a plus, Armour is the least expensive thyroid drug available. :)
  • aud085
    Options
    Thanks. My Dr wont perscribe Amour, said its too risky as its not as stable as Synthroid. I have been on synthroid for over 10 years and all my levels are within the normal range. I do not feel tired, no hair loss, etc... so Im pretty sure I am at a good level for me. My problem is for 5-6 years I have tried with no success to drop the weight, instead I have slowly gained 2-3 lbs a year.

Its like shoveling the driveway while its still snowing, its soooo incredibly frustrating. Especially because I do everything exactly like I should, I exercise a ton more than my friends that weigh nothing, and I eat less than anyone I know. So I just need help, my other option is the new lipo where they dont cut you.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Thanks. My Dr wont perscribe Amour, said its too risky as its not as stable as Synthroid. I have been on synthroid for over 10 years and all my levels are within the normal range. I do not feel tired, no hair loss, etc... so Im pretty sure I am at a good level for me. My problem is for 5-6 years I have tried with no success to drop the weight, instead I have slowly gained 2-3 lbs a year.

Its like shoveling the driveway while its still snowing, its soooo incredibly frustrating. Especially because I do everything exactly like I should, I exercise a ton more than my friends that weigh nothing, and I eat less than anyone I know. So I just need help, my other option is the new lipo where they dont cut you.

Ugh, your doctor doesn't know anything about thryoid meds apparently - Armour and Nature Thyroid are FDA regulated just like synthroid. She has just bought in to the big pharma mass marketing.

When you say "all" your levels are "within normal range", a few things come up for me:
    1) is she just testing TSH, or is she testing free T3 and free T4? TSH isn't a thyroid hormone, it's a pituitary one, and as a stand-alone test is only good for initial diagnostic purposes. It's really unreliable once someone is already on meds, like you are.

2) Is she using the correct range for testing TSH? Or is she using the old maximum of 5.0?

3) "within normal range" is NOT the same as "optimal". If your free T3 is at the bottom of the range it is technically "within normal range", but most people would feel hypo with that level. "Optimal" is closer to the top 1/3 of the range.
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I would venture to guess that you're not losing weight because you are exercising too much and eating too little. Sounds like you're not properly fueling your body so it's hanging on to every fat cell it can. I'm not sure where you heard that hypo folk only burn around 800 a day. Everyone's BMR is unique. I had mine tested in a lab post-thyroidectomy and it was 1699. Only slightly lower than other women my age and size. I can maintain my weight eating around 2200 cals a day. If I want to lose, I have to keep it around 2000. And adding T3 to my Synthroid made no difference in my weight. You might want to try exercising less and/or upping your calorie intake for six or seven weeks, then reassessing from there.

Good luck!

--Cynthia
  • nakiarhall
    nakiarhall Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I only paid 5 for my cytomel so if that's all you can get its worth a try. I don't like Armour at all.
  • RandiDM
    Options
    I agree with go2grrl....I would definitely up your calories, your body may be in fat-storing mode, wondering when it will get its next meal. I upped my calories by two hundred, kept my exercise the same, and actually lost weight. Also, are you taking additional supplements?
  • aud085
    Options
    Thanks all. I have been busy reading about the group here eat more to lose weight, and I am thinking its all starting to make so much sense. I have been at such a low calorie intake for years, except for the occasional holiday meal or vacation week, I have only been eating 800-1200 max, and after doing some reading I do believe I have been starving myself and getting no where in the process.

Im not taking any additional supplements, but I did read about coconut oil and I think I will try that, It will help me up my calories and there is alot of positive research on it helping with hypothyroidism.

I feel like there is alot of great info on these boards, and only wish I had more time to read them all. For the first time in years I feel like there may be some hope. I am going to eat at TDEE for 6 weeks and then try again from there to lose some weight in the meantime I am really looking forward to letting go of the stress of being in the 'Diet' mode 24/7

Thanks again.