Might be a silly question..

Options
raqalex
raqalex Posts: 222 Member
Hi guys,

So i have been lurking here and trying to read up as much as i can. I decided to slowly try and increase my calories. At the moment i am hoping to hit 1800 cals. However i find myself unable to hit that number since my meals keep me full all the time and it has been close to 2 weeks of trying to increase. So my question is, do you guys force yourself to eat more or do you fill the extra calories with treats and such, it seems to be the only way for me to hit that number. I am trying to eat as clean as possible as well and hope to avoid those treats. Im a vegetarian if that helps. Any suggestions on how to increase it? Thanks.

Replies

• natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i'm also still working up to the higher cals (up'ing slowly because let's face it, that's a big number!) when i find i have a lot of cals left at the end of the day, i've started stocking pistachios and almonds and cheese in the house. these are supposed to be healthier fats , calorie dense, high good stuff! i like these for what i call the 'nibble effect', i plop down in front of the tv for the last hour or two of the night before bed, if i make myself a small bowl of nuts, a slice of cheese or any combination, i will mindlessly snack and not realize it. the next morning i usually feel better than the days when i don't snack late and leave a large deficit.

good luck, i'm also curious to hear what others (more experience!) have to say!
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Not a silly question.

I eat Cliff Builder protein bars, roasted almonds, peanut butter, cheese, dark chocolate, etc. your body needs those calories so find a way to add them in. Eating 5 times a day may help.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    In addition to above great suggestions, don't eat non-fat or low-fat versions of anything. That usually helps.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Same here, I did not want to have to go back to the foods that I have almost given up on. So I try make sure I have the likes of almonds, walnuts and dried apricots as they are easy to munch. I have also baked some cereal type bars that are only natural sugars and fats ( apart from if I add some peanut butter to the mix) and that I actually class as a treat. Or even a hot chocolate drink, which feels like a treat but can get my figures up to the necessary levels.

On an odd day I just give in and do not eat any more and then try to make it up later in the week, it often just balances out.

Good luck with your progress!
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    I agree with the above post. The 5-7 meals works wonders and choosing some of the higher calorie clean foods like almonds and bananas or beefing up the calories using protein shakes and bars. Your body really needs those calories even though it doesnt seem like it because you are getting false signals that you are not hungry. Once you break through a certain point the eating gets much much easier. I pinky promise!

I was on a very low calorie diet of 1200-1500 cal for a long time and I am still fixing my body ( I even lost my menstral cycle for 7 months and counting) but it gets easier every day. I am 5'5 and 164 lbs and now eat about 2800 and am maintaining. Even though that is technically still a deficit for me since my average TDEE is 3000-3200. Hopefully your case of undereating is not as drastic, but have faith. The process takes patience but is 100% worth it.
  • caligulala
    caligulala Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Add some healthy fat to some of your meals - some olive oil here, some coconut oil there. I have no trouble meeting my calorie goal because of delicious organic butter :)
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I can relate a little to this. Like others, I try to have healthy, calorie dense foods around to snack on when I need the calories. I find things like a slice of peanut butter banana toast, homemade granola with milk, nuts, protein powder, avocado, cheese etc., to be good, clean sources of calories. Also, try to have more at breakfast to get them in early in the day before you're full. I'm also a fan of prelogging my meals and snacks so I can keep on track and not be left with tons of calories to eat in the evening.

Take my advice with a grain of salt though, I'm still upping calories and am not there yet, lol. I'm currently working on maintaining/strength training and getting my calories up to the 1800-2000 range to see how that works for me.
  • raqalex
    raqalex Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the great advice. Looks like ill be stocking up on snacks since i already eat 6 times a day.
  • Bssh
    Bssh Posts: 123
    Options
    I have a similar problem - made worse because I fast twice a week (for health) so have to eat my TDEE the rest of the time (currently 2240 cals as I exercise alot). What I find helps is making sure everything I eat is full fat, snacking on unsalted mixed nuts (just 50g can boost my cals by 200+ cals), not scrimping on olive oil and butter, eating slightly bigger portions.
  • kellyraesmik
    kellyraesmik Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is exactly the question I was going to ask - not a silly one at all! Thanks for everyone's input. I hope it gets easier.