testing cortisol, leaky gut and hormones

Options
Cerebrus189
Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
Hi all,
I'm going back to my Integrative Therapies doc tomorrow. I've desperately been seeking answers on why I continue to have acne despite the fact that I eat very clean (Paleo diet). My acne is on my chin and along my jawline which points to hormonal disturbances.

I've never been tested completely for hormone imbalances but that's what I'm getting done tomorrow, along with cortisol testing and hopefully leaky gut too. I was reading about how with some autoimmune disorders, it's not actually a problem with the thyroid but rather a problem with progesterone and estrogen that can cause a bunch of whacky things to happen which then manifests as thyroid issues. This however is not my situation as my condition is autoimmune, proven through the testing of antibodies and family history. However, the article stated that hormone imbalances compound the issues with Hashi's.

I'm going to follow the tests listed in my STTM book and see where it takes me. I'm really hoping I can find something. I've been an acne sufferer now since I was 19. Before that, during my teenage years, I only had an occasional pimple. But now at 34, I have cystic acne all over my chin :(

Does anybody have any experience with this type of testing?

Replies

• BeachDreamin83
    Options
    I'm not sure what an Integrative Therapies doctor is, but I see a Naturopath who has helped me solve my acne issues. I had severe, cystic acne from 15 years old onward. The only thing that I have tried that is working toward actually curing the problem is managing my testosterone levels. My Naturopath gave me a supplement that controls the Testosterone so that my body isn't overreacting and producing acne as a result.

I'm having very good results from this therapy. I was on a birth control pill (Diane 35) that controlled my acne for many years, but I've recently decided to stop using it (and then read all about the number of deaths associated with Diane 35 users - scary!).

Cortisol testing is important, but I found that it had no relation to my cystic acne.

If you want more info, let me know. I know where you're coming from - unless you have cystic acne, you just don't understand.

Good luck with your appointment!