Hello from a Slacker!

Options
My name is Kristen. I was diagnosed with T2 a little over a year ago. When I was first diagnosed, I closely monitored my readings and joined this website to track my food and calorie count. I lost almost 40 pounds and my readings dropped to around 100. Since then, I've stopped tracking everything (food & readings) and I've put about 1/2 of the weight back on.

Bad I know...but I came across this discussion group this afternoon, and I wanted to thank you for the motivation and tips. I know I need to get serious again about my health. If you don't mind, I've joined to group for accountability and motivation. Only family and a couple of close friends know I have T2...it's not something I feel comfortable with exposing about myself. So taking T2 seriously has been easily avoided these past 4 or 5 month.

The one positive is that I have been rather consistant with exercise so that has helped. I should also add that I'm on 3 doses of metformin/day.

Thanks again for the inspiration!

Replies

• dzlilo
    dzlilo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I am glad you are back to tracking meals and working out again! It will pay off in the end! T2 will not own us! We are in control!

I keep quiet about my T2 as well. I am hoping to get off the Metformin by the end of the year.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristen,

Happy you're here. You've come to the right place. I love your positive attitude and determination.

I know all too well where you're coming from having gone through burnout myself.

Here's a good site with a lot of good info that might be of help.

http://www.bloodsugar101.com/

I wish you great success on your new journey.

Good Luck!

Bob
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Glad you're back!
    You've just experienced what many diabetics experience .... a bit of burnout. After diagnosis, you start out like gangbusters determined to REVERSE the evil D and get rid of it forever.
    .And then old habits start to creep back in. Call it denial or anger or boredom or frustration at the loss of the things you used to eat and do.

Eventually (hopefully) you realize that diabetes is a disease that needs a long term perspective. Tortoises finish this race.

Good luck!
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristen-

Welcome back!!! I had a similar experience. I was incredibly diligent for about 15 months, and then gained back nearly half the weight I lost in the following 6. It was a tough wake up call, but it was also early enough to once again change. Not easy, as you know all to well. Another 6 months have passed, and the A1C is back down, and the weight... at least what I had initially lost and an extra five to provide a little extra encouragement... is back off. I'm here. We're here. Good luck!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    May I join everyone else in welcoming you back to MFP!

I only take Metformin as well. I stopped taking Glimeperide last September. I dont mind taking the Met and will continue on it as long as I need to. I figure after I reach my final goal, I may not need it anymore but since it helps with weight loss, I am content for now.

I was diligent with my treatment for about 2 months after I was diagnosed. Then I felt better and I got complacent. I still took my meds but stopped testing my sugar. It wasn't until May of last year that I got serious, started here on MFP and got going on losing weight. No gonig back this time....its for life....for keeps. :)

I have no problem letting people know I have Diabetes....it prevents them from pushing food on me that I shouldn't be eating. ;)

Its great you exercise consistently! That really helps! Good luck and welcome to the group!
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Welcome back... Yes I think we all can say, we have fallen off the wagon of checking our BS... I am guilty of that too. the last time, my sugar was reaching almost to 300's so I know, I need to keep it in check. I again am working on getting it down into the 70's, I am now ranging around 80 to 95's with no medicine. I was on glyburide and when I my sugar got down to 110. I quit taking it. Trying to not be on meds if at all possible. I have my medicine here, just in case I get a spike, but over all, I am not using it.
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies! I was feeling like such a fool yesterday, but your replies are so heart-warming and lets me know I'm not the only one that's done this to themselves! To be honest I was expecting some "tough love" replies! But I guess that might be from watching too much Julian on The Biggest Loser! :laugh:
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Welcome Kristen. I know what you mean about being open about T2. Other than my close family and this group, I keep it to myself. I may be able to hide it from others, but I can't hide it from myself. It's something that I know I have to manage. The help provided here has been a huge benefit in managing my diabetes.

I think it's great that you're getting back on track and focused. Good job on the exercise, I'm a big believer in the benefits of regular exercise.
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristen,

Happy you're here. You've come to the right place. I love your positive attitude and determination.

I know all too well where you're coming from having gone through burnout myself.

Here's a good site with a lot of good info that might be of help.

http://www.bloodsugar101.com/

I wish you great success on your new journey.

Good Luck!

Bob

Thanks for the website link! I just glanced over it a bit and saved it to my favorites to read when I can. Looks like it has some great info.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Very timely! I have "slacked" off for close to a week after doing so good. It;s time to quit slacking.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Kirsten and welcome back on board. There are very few paragons of virtue in this group, so we understand how easy it is to fall off the wagon. Just start from where you are and do what you know works and your lapse will become a distant memory. The great thing about this group is the fact that we do understand because most of us have done it. The other great thing is that the people are genuine and want every member to succeed.