2»

Replies

• marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is doing well!
  • bettyahack
    Options
    Hi Diana. I too am over 50 and need to lose 50+ lbs! I joined myfitnesspal yesteday and found this group a few minutes ago. Cannnot help but be excited!! I started a self-made diet today! Yeah...so far so good. It's 7:15 PM and I did not cheat:) I even walked the dog and walked around the mall for about an hour today (exercise). This is the best day I have had in a long time.
    I eat for any reason, mostly from habit especially while watching TV at night. Seriously, I eat 89% of my calories at night. Does anyone else have this terrible habit? I really need some buddies for support and to trade tips and stories with while I go through this journey toward a better life.
  • bettyahack
    Options
    I too have a child in college who has recently returned after being home for the holidays. She is a senior at University of Florida. Go Gators! Being an empty nester now for 3+ years has made things easier but I have not adjusted really. I miss having my child in the house. The house is quiet...boring now...just my husband and I. Thank goodness he is still at work all day:) I have tried to stay busy with various projects but I am still kind of lost. Having just started this weight loss journey yesterday has given my spirits a lift and finding this group is icing on the cake!
  • marsellient
    Options
    @bettyahawk. You've come to the right place. Check out the forums and build a friends list. It really helps. Good luck!
  • dlmowrey
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me as a friend if you wish. I'm 57, and not dedicated to going to the gym every day. I get my exercising by walking, yoga, or using an exercise ball.
  • slewen
    slewen Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi-I'm Susan, 59 and started my weight loss journey on MFP on January 1. So far, I've lost 7 lbs. I will turn 60 in October and I would really like to be at least 50 lbs. less by then. I can relate to just about everything I've read from all of you! I guess we're all in the same boat and its nice to just read about others that are experiencing the same issues that you are. Reading everyone's post's is motivating to me!
  • GmaQueenBee
    GmaQueenBee Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Although I joined MFP in June 2011 I haven't really used it. Maybe that's why I still have 50+ pounds that I need to get rid of. I don't want to say that I want to lose it because that implies I will try and find it later. I just plain want to get rid of the fat, get healthier, and slimmer! I'm a single mom to 1. I had been an empty-nester for about 2 years, but she's back home now. I don't like to exercise but know I have to. I was going to the gym faithfully 3 times a week until I had my foot operated on in October. Since them it's only been once or twice a week to do strength training. I walk about 8000 steps at work and by the end of the day don't want to get on a treadmill. I could really use some friends for motivation and help. I love to cook, garden, and write.
  • brendayaw
    brendayaw Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 53 been going through menopause for years and started gaining weight because of it in addition to quitting smoking several times which packed on the pounds very quickly :sad:
    So I really need ideas/support of what is working for other women. It seems if I don't eat carbs or sweets I lose weight, but it's really hard, Help Please! Thanks:wink:
    Brenda
  • marsellient
    Options
    Welcome everyone! Feel free to send friend requests, and good luck with your plans.
  • dchannell
    Options
    Love this group. I feel so much more at home here where everyone isn't discussing TDEE and how many calories over 1200 a person should have if they exercise! I joined on Jan. 4th and have lost 10 lb. already. I had to adjust the protein % to 60 because of having had a gastric bypass seven years ago. Otherwise, I am glad to know I'm not the only one struggling with typical 50+ issues like menopause. I track my sodium intake and found almost immediately that I actually felt different if I consumed over my 2400 mg. limit. I am tracking my blood pressure twice daily as well and my doctor will evaluate me at the 6 week mark to determine if he can half my blood pressure meds. Because I am exercising at least 30 to 45 minutes a day on a treadmill, doing stretching and yoga and light upper body strengthening reps my blood pressure sometimes has dropped so low I get dizzy. I can't believe how much sodium can actually affect you so obviously and so quickly. I am learning to cook without any added salt and use Mrs. Dash's seasonings or onion/garlic powder to flavor foods. I switched to unsalted butter (actually better than "lite" butter which is loaded with sodium) and just use half as much when I absolutely have to have it. I've also discovered that removing sugar and artificial sweeteners from my diet, including carbonated beverages has literally changed my entire personality. Further I also stopped eating processed meats and foods, anything that comes in a box. So basically I have just started eating fresh fruits, veggies, lean poultry and fish and I cannot believe the difference. I feel so good now I haven't had a single craving or miss any of that junk. I don't think it is my age as much as that I am just allergic to all that artificial, processed, sodium laden stuff I used to live on. My husband loves the meals, I use the recipe calculator and have already made my own shredded chicken casserole, pasta sauce, vegetable soup and a list of other dishes that allow me to control the nutrient levels in them and adjust so they fit my plan. My twelve year old daughter even likes a few of the dishes! Can't wait til #2 child comes home from college for the weekend, he left the day I began MFP and he's a health nut of sorts! He will be surprised!!
  • marsellient
    Options
    dchannell....good for you! It sounds like you are off to a roaring start. I know how you feel about reading through some of the threads and yet I still do it. I've actually learned quite a lot. I do think it's best, especially in the beginning to just keep with what MFP sets up, though. I have adjusted my sodium to 1500mg and mostly keep under. My BP is much better. Do you have a monitor? If you're getting dizzy, maybe it needs to be checked.
    I've been here a year, and it's working for me. I hope it works for you, too!
  • ThinWithin7
    ThinWithin7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to both you and your husband! Way to go!!!!
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I was ill recently and unable to eat for a few days- and that happened right at the time I was deciding that I needed to really deal with my weight. So I had 2 days with no food, 3 days with only juice or soup, and lost about 7 lb, and as much as sickness wasn't fun, it was so motivating,, that I was able to just keep going.. Now I am at 16 lb, it is early in the year so no work or social engagements at which I am often enticed, and so just now, eating home alone each meal loving cooked to nurture myself, and I feel lucky.

I would not have chosen this, but right now, I hope to have 4 more weeks without eating with other people, except my closest friends who eat really well anyway, just so stay away from gluten and dairy- the things that bloat me.

I am not sure how I will go, but, I think if I can do this for 4 weeks more, there are a few smarter items of clothing I can wear, I will feel more habituated to being kind to myself, and I will just continue to feel clearer and fresher... all of which will motivate me. ...I'd like to drop about 60-80 pounds this year, and another 30-50 next year. Right now, all I can think about is even 6 months of that kind of weight loss would make such a significant difference to how I feel, what I can wear, what I can physically do (I cycle and I;d cycle a lot faster)...

so, my first goal is 4 weeks with only eating at home - cooking for others only what I;d eat myself , and with my closest friends who eat well., 4 weeks... and then I hope to make the next goal.

I wish you so much success.
    FitToLead
  • dblbutts
    Options
    My doctor told me about this site. I did really good last sprig then lost my will and went back to old habit's. I want to feel better- I know I can but support is not around me. So I looking for support here.
    Anyone? I am 52 and starting over
  • fabulara
    fabulara Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me.