Has anyone put on weight in the mission for fit?

Options
kc285
kc285 Posts: 20 Member
Hi everyone,

I am curious as to whether any other skinny fat girls out there have put on weight (in terms of numbers not inches) in their quest to get fit?

I consider myself recovered from past eating disorders / disordered eating but would be lying if I said the prospect of the numbers on the scale increasing didn't still fill me with dread, and I do worry that if the numbers increase I might go into panic mode!

I'd be interested to hear your stories, especially if you are already at the lower end of BMI, and have less than 10lbs to lose.

Height: 5'11
CW: 136
GW: 130
UGW: 126

Replies

• stephcalcott
    stephcalcott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi - we actually have very similar stats. I'm 5'11 and weigh anywhere between 135 - 140. For a long time I've been on a mission to be 125-130. I have been anywhere from 115 - 145 so I have no idea why 124-130 was the magic number but it was. Anyhow, I've been stalking some profiles on this site and doing some research on weight training and I realized that what I look like - and my measurements are MUCH more important than my weight.

That being said, the only time I've been heavier than 145 is when I was pregnant so I know if the scale goes too high I'll freak out a little. I've decided that I HAVE to take a break from the scale and focus completely on my measurements. I put my scale in the garage and recorded all my measurements. 3 weeks in I'm down 1/2 inch in my waist and about 1/4 inch in my hips. I'll keep measuring and will only weigh every other month. Otherwise it's too easy to go into the downward spiral of weight fixation.
  • whipsmart10014
    Options
    YES! After my first six weeks of strength training, I gained 3 pounds, but lost 8 inches. Friends were asking if I'd purchased new jeans (I hadn't, I just looked that much better in the old ones). I won't weigh myself again until I've reached 12 weeks of strength training, but my clothes continue to look better on my body every week, so I'm no longer concerned with the number on the scale.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    yes def. i used to weigh 124 most of adult life (5'7" medium frame).... and during the past few years after really amping up my fitness/yoga, i weight 130-132#.... but look better -- leaner. and my bf% is down from 24% to 19-20%.
  • Wuffles70
    Wuffles70 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you're more than aware of this but disordered thoughts around eating can be exceptionally difficult to shake off. If the scale was a big cause of your worry then it might be worth 'breaking up' with it. I know it sounds weird but why not throw it out (or smash it up, if you're feeling symbolic)? You can always go weigh yourself on the scale at boots every month or so - that way, you'll have to pay a small amount every time you weigh yourself and won't be able to hop on and off constantly worrying about it.

Your measurements are the part people can actually see and your body fat percentage is a more accurate measure of your health - the scale tells you an arbitrary number that looks way more important than it is. I've fallen into that trap before and until I took a deep breath and went "This is an appliance. It's like having my self worth judged by a toaster or a kettle or an iron - I don't need that." and removed it from easy access that I got out of the funk. Obviously, I have no idea if this fits your situation I'm just telling you what worked for me. Do what you think is best for you, I hope it works out.